• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rim-x barrel

crackerbacks

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 17, 2010
SE Michigan
Just wondering what is the best prefit for the rim-x? I ordered a action last month. I can’t find and threads on this since 2020 and I figured there are more-different options at this point. I want a heavy stainless barrel about 30-22” and I plan to shoot up to 400 yards. I like the looks of the pva 1-12 twist but apparently that is no longer a option….

Thank you!

Tagging in as I am thinking of grabbing a rimx and have the same question. Debated going proof but would like other options as well.

I would go with Bison Tactical, Kreiger or Bartlein. Those barrels are done by Johnathan at modacam and every one I have been around or had my hands on, shoot great…

Reactions: CBeck and Travis224
Proof is good too..or the blank is. I haven't done a write up on mine, but the short version, my gunsmith took my proof 26" Comp contour, cut off both ends, did a short chambered 52d chamber for me (I started pretty short knowing I could hand ream it deeper if I wanted) and redid the muzzle in 5/8x24. Currently it out shoots both my Bison Tactical barrels and the other Proof barrels and Bartleins I own with all my ammo.
I didn't try this for match use, I am going prairie dog shooting and wanted an amazing barrel to run as we shoot 200yds as an average. Currently it's shooting : CCI, Norma, Eley, and SK at 200yds well enough to place head shots off my tripod on to Prairie Dog silhouettes that are to scale.

Big plate is 200yds, the white prairie dog is 240yds with SK and Norma both.

The only thing I'm gonna hate is shooting Norma in 90° weather as I will feel like I hand scooped a jar of Vaseline loading my magazines.

I'm heading to shoot in a week from Monday so I can post more then.

Attachments

• PXL_20230504_172101309.MP.jpg
    PXL_20230504_172101309.MP.jpg
    252.1 KB · Views: 44
  • PXL_20230422_191545000.jpg
    PXL_20230422_191545000.jpg
    458.2 KB · Views: 46
  • PXL_20230410_185004977.jpg
    PXL_20230410_185004977.jpg
    909.4 KB · Views: 43
Just wondering what is the best prefit for the rim-x? I ordered a action last month. I can’t find and threads on this since 2020 and I figured there are more-different options at this point. I want a heavy stainless barrel about 30-22” and I plan to shoot up to 400 yards. I like the looks of the pva 1-12 twist but apparently that is no longer a option….

Thank you!
If you contact lothar walther they can probably hook you up with the 1-12 since they made the blanks for PVA, they will also do a prefit barrel. I know @BisSilent is running one, and it’s definitely been putting in work.

I’m running a 23” 1-12 from preferred barrel blanks and it’s been a hammer on plates out to 400 and isn’t terribly picky with ammo. Don’t get me wrong some stuff isn’t good but most in .3-.5 all day at 50, Eley match is consistently .2 at worst if l did my part with the lot I had.

Just ordered a proof barreled action from Altus. 26” comp contour. Since this is mainly to be a trainer for centerfire and local NRL22 matches that are 100 and in. I might leave it at 26” if it shoots well and I don’t lose that much velocity.

If I don’t like the length gonna have my gunsmith cut it to 22” and probably change muzzle to 5/8x24. I’ll update after some time and testing.

If you contact lothar walther they can probably hook you up with the 1-12 since they made the blanks for PVA, they will also do a prefit barrel. I know @BisSilent is running one, and it’s definitely been putting in work.

I’m running a 23” 1-12 from preferred barrel blanks and it’s been a hammer on plates out to 400 and isn’t terribly picky with ammo. Don’t get me wrong some stuff isn’t good but most in .3-.5 all day at 50, Eley match is consistently .2 at worst if l did my part with the lot I had.
310 yard sub moa 10 shot group👍

I'm a huge fan of the Lothar Walther barrel.
20230316_143715.jpg

20230404_175111.jpg
20230404_175147.jpg

Here's a little commented on fact, 22 LR subsonic match ammunition has such a small charge of powder that going past a 20" barrel can end up costing you velocity. It is a little barrel specific, that is it varies from barrel to barrel.

In the rimfire benchers competitions it seems like Shilen ratchet barrels and Mueller rule the roost on the equipment lists. IIRC Lothar makes barrels for Anschutz.