• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes SBR optic, Opinions please!

wdhigh

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 10, 2010
Summerville, SC
Sent off paperwork for my SBR lower last week that will be a 300 blackout. Barrel will be 8-9" plus suppressor and will be used 97% of the time for hunting deer 50-200 yds. We are allowed to legally shoot 1hr before sunrise and 1hr after sunset so some light gathering will be a huge plus.

I have never used any 1-4's or eotech/aimpoints with magnifiers in anything other than middle of the day. Do the good magnifiers transmit/gather light? Seems like they would not, but like I said no first hand use on my end. How bad are the 1-4's. Really like the price of the pst 1-4 but would be willing to go up to trijicon and meopta price point if the glass was worth it.

Also are the acogs good in low light? Could probably find a used on of those if they were worth the price.

Thanks in advance.

Re: SBR optic, Opinions please!

My vote would be the SWFA 1-6. SBR 300aac was my intention for it. I really like the ffp reticle design.

That being said it may never get released :p .

I use a 1-4x Nightforce almost every day. We hunt my property a lot for skunks and possums. They have been really bad the past 2 years. I think I have killed over 35 skunks since June 1. That NF optic has served me well from 50 yards to 200 yards. Get a cat tail for it and you will really like it.

I'm running a Vortex Viper PST 1-4 on my 8" Blackout.

Crappy pic, but here it is.

9F4ED47D-F69C-4460-B590-2BF8AD4954E6-10190-00000F42C04C0768-1_zps2610f735.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wdhigh</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How are the NF 1-4's in low light? Forgot about those. </div></div>

Pretty small objective.... they are ok.

If you have the cash... try the 1-4x Elcan Spectre?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wdhigh</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How are the NF 1-4's in low light? Forgot about those. </div></div>

Pretty small objective.... they are ok.

If you have the cash... try the 1-4x Elcan Spectre? </div></div>

Elcan is super heavy with really bad eye box even on 1x, plus it weighs as much as a tank. Short dot
smile.gif

The new USO 1-8x is supposed to have really good light transmission. Their 1-4x has a diffuser in it because it transmits TOO MUCH light during the day. Have not used one at night though. I use a USO 1.8-10x for night hunting coyotes.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wdhigh</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sent off paperwork for my SBR lower last week that will be a 300 blackout. Barrel will be 8-9" plus suppressor and will be used 97% of the time for hunting deer 50-200 yds. We are allowed to legally shoot 1hr before sunrise and 1hr after sunset so some light gathering will be a huge plus.

Thanks in advance.</div></div>

If the rifle is going to be used for hunting 97% of the time and low light capability is important, just get a nice hunting scope with a big objective lens for it.

I wouldn't bother with a low power variable. I have a number of nice low power variables including Short Dot, NF 1-4x and Swarov 1-6x but wouldn't use any of them on a rifle I use for hunting 97% of the time.

If you find you want CQB capability, you can always mount the scope with QD rings and get yourself a RDS for up close blastin'

Have fun with that thing!

Right now, I'm running a Weaver Tactical 1-5x on my 300 BLK SBR. No complaints.

I find the smaller objective variable power scopes less forgiving in positioning. For a SBR, I personally would go with aimpoint with co-witnessed magnifier.

I would say go with a Trijicon. The lighted sight and a bigger objective should suit your needs.