• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Scope Fungus

mdmp5

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • May 7, 2009
    Has anyone ever found fungus inside a scope? This is a common occurrence in camera lenses and renders them unserviceable. Happened to my dad at least once. But I’ve never heard of it happening to a scope and was wondering if anyone had any stories

I've seen it on one cheap scope, but it doesn't prevent use. Never on a high-end scope.

Camera lenses tend to be more open to the environment and not sealed, so much more likely to happen.
    Most optics are sealed from the environment, nitrogen/gas filled, etc...even though I question the longevity of the gas, rifle scopes still remain more or less sealed off from the external environment which seriously limits the ability of warmth and moisture internally.

The old steel tube weavers were quite susceptible to it once the seals dried out.

Camera lenses tend to be more open to the environment and not sealed, so much more likely to happen.
    Most optics are sealed from the environment, nitrogen/gas filled, etc...even though I question the longevity of the gas, rifle scopes still remain more or less sealed off from the external environment which seriously limits the ability of warmth and moisture internally.

This. Camera lenses are usually open to the environment.