• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Scope Travel

B3dlam

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 3, 2012
Kodiak, AK
So I have noticed that one of the factors I look at a lot before buying a scope is its total elevation adjustment range. I understand its not the only thing that goes into a good scope but it is something that is quite important to me. Usually I tend to assume that I will be lucky to get around 2/3rds of the total elevation after zeroing provided I use a canted base of some sort. My goal then is to have enough elevation left to dial all the way through when the round will go trans-sonic often around 20+ mils. I am just curious if other people look at this as closely as I do. I have noticed scopes like the SWFA and vortex razor run 30mils of internal adjusment while the accupoints have only around 6 mils. I was suprised looking at the new Mark 8s to see they are only going to have 26-27 mils. Just been wondering if I am to wrapped up in this or if other people tend to look at the same things.

Re: Scope Travel

I look at travel, but only to the extent that I get what I want out of it. For example, if I'm not planning to dial at all (ie. short range AR scope), then I only need enough travel to zero. I wouldn't go out of my way to find a scope with lots of travel. Otherwise, I make sure I'll have enough to get out to me to where I need to be, and a bit extra to compensate for potential zero locations.

Re: Scope Travel

Elevation travel will not be quite as important when using a Horus-type reticle B/C you can use the reticle for a most of your come-ups. Of course it depends to some extent on how far out you make your zero range.

Same goes for windage on "Christmas tree" style reticles like the Horus 59. Far less "knob spinning" is required.