• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Seating Depth Question

Bugzlife19

Private
Minuteman
Feb 28, 2017
So I’m doing some new load development with Noslers 140g RDFs. I’m using Lapua Brass, CCI 450s but I’m working a load for RL-16 and H4350. Will my optimum seating depth be the same with both powders. I know the charges will be different I’m just trying to save some rounds down the barrel as I’m a little ahead in my load development with H4350 then the the RL-16. Thanks for any insight.

I think seating depth is more dependent on the bullet rather than powder, especially for such similar powders as RL-16 and H4350.

If for nothing other than to give a data point; in my 24" CTR (6.5cm) with the 140RDF's I'm getting the best groups and lowest ES with 41.7gr of RL-16, COAL of 2.930" for 2775ft/s. I didn't get pressure signs until >43.5gr (2910 ft/s) and had decent groups, but I wanted to be easier on brass and have the slightly better groups of the 41.7gr. The seating depth corresponds to 0.050" off the lands. I've tried 0.050"-0.150". Using Lapua brass, and CCI 450's as well.

That’s what I was assuming that it’s should be very close with those to powders. I’m running a 26 bartliens gain twist and getting crazy speed out off it. Not seeing any pressure signs until 3000 ft/ps. I’ve been loading Berger 140 Hybrids at 2850 with good luck. But want to give RDFs a try and so far I’m getting better results then the Bergers.

Last edited:
That’s what I was assuming that it’s should be very close with those to powders. I’m running a 26 bartliens gain twist and getting crazy speed out off it. Not seeing any pressure signs until 3000 ft/ps. I’ve been loading Berger 140 Hybrids at 2950 with good luck. But want to give RDFs a try and so far I’m getting better results then the Bergers.

What is your gain twist range? That's some impressive velocity though not sure if that's luck of the draw or the gain twist barrel.

It’s 1-8 to 1-8.75. Yeah might be my luck. But I’m never that lucky lol. But I’ll sure as hell take it.

Maybe, maybe not. I have a set load development process of OCW to find center of node then seating depth test to find smallest groups. I do this anytime I change bullet or powder. You will most likely have acceptable results but MAY not be the smallest group possible. Only testing yourself will give you a definite answer.

Guess I’ll just continue with load development and do separate seating depth tests for each. What’s an extra 30-40 rounds down the barrel.