• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

SIG's new stabilized binos 16x43 and 10x30

ToddM

Philanthropist
Supporter
Minuteman
Jul 1, 2008
PA
Interesting to see Sig come out with these, be interesting to see how they perform. 16x42 and 10x30. From what I've heard when they tried this in their mini-spotter Oscar3 the reviews were not too impressive.

That said I've used the Canon stabilized binos before, and while they have downsides (low light gathering, some are not waterproof) I've owned all the big $ binos and for some uses having stabilized binos more than offset the detail you can see with better glass. Now if you are tripod mounting them that's a no brainer, better glass will always win. However most people can't hold 10-12x binos steady enough to take advantage of the resolution.

I use my 12x36 canon binos for 3D archery, and guys with big $ binos are frequently amazed how much better they can see arrows cutting lines or light indented scoring lines on dark 3D targets than they can with their high $ binos simply because of the stabilization.

Now if we can just get Leica to put stabilization into the 3200.com's.

I've also used the zeiss 20x60 mechanically stabilized binos for work and they are really something to behold, but silly spendy and huge.

Curious to see how these will fare as well. I've used the Canon IS up mid flight and it is extremely helpful especially while on the move/hovering.