• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

So you guys wanted a way to mount your Magnetospeed with no POI shift?

Please let us know what you see...

Very first thing I'm doing when I get it is three five shot groups @ 300 in a row. 1) Naked barrel 2) Barrel mounted Magspeed 3) Non barrel mounted Magspeed

I've seen so much back and forth on this topic, I guess the only way to find out is test it myself. Also interested to see if there is any discernible variance in MV, ES, SD between barrel mounted vs rail.

if you can please do @ 100 at least a few groups.. 100 generally takes a lot of variables out and shows primarily harmonic shifts ~ waiting fingers crossed.. I'm on my 3rd MS and have the Labradar, but would love to have just one..

Sure why not

3rd MS??? Need to hear the story behind that. Bad units? Shot the sensor?

Reactions: BudgetBuilder
Very first thing I'm doing when I get it is three five shot groups @ 300 in a row. 1) Naked barrel 2) Barrel mounted Magspeed 3) Non barrel mounted Magspeed

I've seen so much back and forth on this topic, I guess the only way to find out is test it myself. Also interested to see if there is any discernible variance in MV, ES, SD between barrel mounted vs rail.

Hell yeah! Post up your results, I'm excited to see some data oriented testing.

Mostly because I am a freak I guess...

I have played with or owned so may types, over the years. I shoot a lot of calibers some with both solids and conventional. The money chrono's have saved me is worth every penny.. I can do a OCW/Ladders combined if I shoot over a chrono and just get the job done in far few rounds. The MS has an issue in this regard. Maybe the thread is onto something..

In recent years, I almost aways seem to have 3 types at any one time. An optical of some sort, the more recently started adding the Magnetospeeds when they showed up and then usually something I seem to be testing or just the newest option from acoustic to the Labradar.

2 were sold of as I upgraded. The third a duplication of one I sold when I had just the Labradar and an optical... and found I missed the MS in my kit.

From Data On Personal Equipment (DOPE), load development to dignosing problems such as a sudden change in vertical or dispurtion the chronos can be a real shortcut. I am not saying they substite real world drop.. I still drop confirm everything.. But I have just about burned up a barrel (with about a 900 rd life) before I ever found the load.. Turns out had I been shooting over any chrony I most-likely wold not have found the issue and not started with a fresh barrel/

To date, I have not found the one unit for everything solution.. I hate that the MS might not fit on some weapons systems or creates POI influence.. yet I keep getting the damn things.. I guess that says something both bad about me and the good about them LOL

Jt

Totally understand. I am really hoping Tyler's solution works out. I have been using the MS for years & have been very happy. Its been dead nuts reliable, but I always use it after load development because of the POI/harmonic issues. I actually bought a Labradar for that reason, used for a couple of weeks, and ended up returning it. It was a total pain in the ass to use, from the sheer bulkiness of it, the fragility if it topples over, to not recording shots consistently, and my deal breaker was having to break position to reset it when it didn't pick up a shot. The MS works every single time, and I can keep it in the side pocket of my dragbag at all times with the rifle.

If this device works out, I believe it to be the best solution currently on the market (for me anyways)

First MV was 2647 fps. Then I field stripped this V3 with a .308 on the 2nd shot.
Note to self: double-check tightness and alignment of all prototype mounting points after first shot.

IMG_6872b.jpg
IMG_6873 copy.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_6873 copy.jpg
    IMG_6873 copy.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 154
Reactions: BudgetBuilder
^^ The mounts I posted on the MagnetoSpeed Adapter thread have worked nicely........https://www.snipershide.com/shootin...-equipment/6571516-magnetospeed-adapter/page2..........

but I was tinkering with some different fasteners to use at pivot Point A. Said fastener obviously allowed too much inward rotation on recoil !!

Ordered another bayonet last night.

About Trial And Error
"It is common sense to take a method and try it. If it fails, admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something."
Franklin D. Roosevelt

We're all rooting for you!

M8ZN9tU.jpg

First production batch is all ready for anodization! There's a combination of milling and waterjet on some parts but boy it looks nice, you can barely see the waterjet marks at all.

Yep received a tracking number, and mine will arrive on Monday. Though I wont be able to use it till January unfortunately.

Parts are back from anodization. Waiting on foam, but should be shipping out next week!

Hi Tyler,

Just received the mount. Must say, excellent communication throughout whole ordering process. Packaging was top notch, great finish on product, and also nice underpromise/overdeliver on shipping timeframe :)

Quick question on the mounting bracket provided in the kit that attaches to the magnetospeed base - I don't have any screws for the two holes, just the locking screw/thumb nut on the end of the strap. Is the idea to use that existing locking screw/cap on the strap in addition to another screw to lock down the stainless extension rod? Or do I need to just buy two additional screws to lock down the plate? If you could provide thread pitch for those screws, would appreciate it.

Edit: Just got back from Lowe's. Figured out screws are 10x32. Not going to work with the strap screw. Threw some 1" stainless screws w/ nylon locking washers on there for now. If you guys offer anodized cap screws at the right length, would be interested in getting some.

SsDaSJe.jpg

Now gotta get out there and do some testing!

Last edited:
Hi Tyler,

Just received the mount. Must say, excellent communication throughout whole ordering process. Packaging was top notch, great finish on product, and also nice underpromise/overdeliver on shipping timeframe :)

Quick question on the mounting bracket provided in the kit that attaches to the magnetospeed base - I don't have any screws for the two holes, just the locking screw/thumb nut on the end of the strap. Is the idea to use that existing locking screw/cap on the strap in addition to another screw to lock down the stainless extension rod? Or do I need to just buy two additional screws to lock down the plate? If you could provide thread pitch for those screws, would appreciate it.

Edit: Just got back from Lowe's. Figured out screws are 10x32. Not going to work with the strap screw. Threw some 1" stainless screws w/ nylon locking washers on there for now. If you guys offer anodized cap screws at the right length, would be interested in getting some.

SsDaSJe.jpg

Now gotta get out there and do some testing!

I'm sorry, you're saying for $125, you had to source your own hardware?!

I'm sorry, you're saying for $125, you had to source your own hardware?!

Well yes I did, but its possible those screws originally came with the Magnetospeed base, and I've lost them somewhere along the way (not sure). The mounting plate they provide does match up to the base perfectly.

Well yes I did, but its possible those screws originally came with the Magnetospeed base, and I've lost them somewhere along the way (not sure). The mounting plate they provide does match up to the base perfectly.

For that much coin, I'd expect included hardware either way. And from what I'm seeing, it's very short. On an AIAT with 26" barrel, if there isn't a spigot mount, there's no way it would reach unless I'm not seeing something.

This thing is already disappointing me....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And from what I'm seeing, it's very short. On an AIAT with 26" barrel, if there isn't a spigot mount, there's no way it would reach unless I'm not seeing something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yea I can see the challenge in trying to manufacture something that is going to fit every configuration out there. Luckily it looks like it is going to work with everything I have thus far.

Here it is on an RPR w/ a 28" barrel (Note that I do have the MI 18" handguard, which makes a big difference)

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/i.imgur.com\/Rsup0ja.jpg"}[/IMG2]

And here is my FN w/ 26" barrel mounted in an XLR Evolution (Rod is extended all the way out):

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/i.imgur.com\/CwLVNIx.jpg"}[/IMG2]

Easily fits my JP AR w/ 16" barrel. Handguard length makes all the difference with this iteration. Seems like it would be easy enough to procure a longer mounting rod. I'm sure they will offer more options as more of these get out in the wild.

But at what point does the rod become too long and not as stable as the magnetospeed should be? Hate to be cynical but I'm not impressed. I see one for sale already in the accessories section. Wonder if they had the issue I'm seeing...

But at what point does the rod become too long and not as stable as the magnetospeed should be?

I was wondering this as well. How much 'wobble' does one introduce with the length of the rod and how does that impact any readings? Based on how some ammo performed that I tested this past weekend, I think I may have had movement in my barrel mounted Magnetospeed...or the ammo really wasn't impressive.

Hi folks,

You shouldn't need to source your own hardware, and I'll take the full blame for those bolts not being included, they should have been. I've been out of town for a week on business, and won't be home for another week. I coordinated with an employee to get preorders out, and he mistakenly left those bolts out of every package. I found this out today when I got a call regarding them, and have been working all night to contact everyone who had a package shipped. Not really what I want to be doing at 12:30 when I have an early morning...but customers come first.

Those bolts are 10-32 by the way, everyone will have them on the way tomorrow, and I certainly didn't plan for the ball to be dropped on such a simple task.

Regarding rod flex, it's simply unavoidable. That being said, we used stainless steel for the stiffest solution possible (short of CF, which would be fragile when tightened down) and I have noticed no difference in readings between barrel mounted, rail mounted, and shooting through a conventional chronograph. The bullet is long gone by the time any flex occurs.

Hope this helps, I truly care about happy customers and am more than happy to answer any questions!

Tyler:

I received my mount sometime this week, and took time this morning to play with it. I got your note about the missing screws, the local hardware store had them, set me back a whole $1.07. No big deal on my end. Have been reading all the prior posts and viewing mounting positions, all helpful. It's been mounted on a RPR with a 26" barrel, and with a little tweaking should work.

PM sent.

Just got out to shoot it a little on my 24" 223 Wylde barrel. I was shooting factory 77gr SMK going about 2850fps out of a 1:7.5". It was about 60 Deg, 6000ft ASL, 24.5 inhg. I had the MS mounted on the bracket at the 3:30 position on the barrel. That is just slight below center on the right side. I was shooting off of a bench which isn't my norm and rushed a bit. Additionally, there was some dillhole next to me with an AR15 that hated ammo and was trying to get rid of as much of it as possible, as fast as he could.

0plNxVe.jpg

​​​

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/i.imgur.com\/ht02TaO.jpg"}[/IMG2]

I promise it wasn’t me.

Just got out to shoot it a little on my 24" 223 Wylde barrel. I was shooting factory 77gr SMK going about 2850fps out of a 1:7.5". It was about 60 Deg, 6000ft ASL, 24.5 inhg. I had the MS mounted on the bracket at the 3:30 position on the barrel. That is just slight below center on the right side. I was shooting off of a bench which isn't my norm and rushed a bit. Additionally, there was some dillhole next to me with an AR15 that hated ammo and was trying to get rid of as much of it as possible, as fast as he could.

Was one of these groups with magspeed attached normally with strap? That's the biggest thing I want to see, strapped magspeed vs MK mounted. Hopefully I'll get a chance to test tomorrow.

On another note is that 100 yards? If so, good God you are blessed to have an indoor 100 yd range.

I promise it wasn’t me.

Ahahahaha I've never seen so much usage of 'Dillhole' New one for me to use

Last edited:
That looks like you had a good test going on! Would love to share this on our social media reubenski, if you'd like to message me and chat a bit.

For the amount of adjustment on the device, you need to use the small end of an allen wrench so you can get it in there no matter the position. Then you can use all the axis of adjustment the design offers. This is most useful if you have a big brake and want to offset the bayonet above or below the brake.

Yep, 100yd indoor, about 8 minutes from the house.
None of those are with the MS strapped on. You have to remove the strap to mount the bracket. I already know what the effect of the MS is. I just wanted to see if there is any truth to this idea about the gases disturbing the bullet.

So just for the benefit of the rest of us, and us not knowing what the impact of the MS is on your setup, can you conclude that this adapter eliminates the poi shift vs the strap?

9Z2OQmZ.jpg

This thing is awesome on ARs. I've used it on several guns (DT Covert is another example) where there is no other way to use the magnetospeed.

Does Magnetospeed already offer a molded rail mount with no adjustment for pistols? FYI these are IN STOCK NOW :D

Kc3BRQT.jpg

Yeah pricing is still "on sale" right now, I think I'm going to leave it that way through Black Friday. All preorders should be on the way now, and we have more ready to go as well.

There's one version of the Magneto Mount, but we just put a V2/Sporter bayonet adapter on the site.

Got mine and really like it. My only advice would be to offer a longer rod as a choice. My AXMC with 20" barrel, 13" hand guard and 9" suppressor, the rod simply isn't log enough to get the MS to the end cap. I am going to have to find a rod that is longer somewhere.

Got mine and really like it. My only advice would be to offer a longer rod as a choice. My AXMC with 20" barrel, 13" hand guard and 9" suppressor, the rod simply isn't log enough to get the MS to the end cap. I am going to have to find a rod that is longer somewhere.

That's a good point. I have a 26" 6.5 barrel on my AI and not sure if this rod will extend all the way out when I have my suppressor on it either?

I bought a 30” linear motion ss rod from McMaster Carr for 16.00 or so including shipping. It’s WAY too long to be manageable. The standard rod works for about 90% of my rifles. My 30” barrels will probably need around 20-24” rod. I’ll just end up cutting the 30” rod to the minimum length I need for the long barrels.

The rod that comes with the Magneto Mount is the length it is to not impede function with shorter setups. With a 20"+ rod, set all the way back for a short barrel, you'd have it coming back right in front of the action, etc.

That being said, we have rod couplers and extensions available for longer barrels, and it's also just a 3/8" steel rod, something you can get very cheap at any hardware store if you want a custom length.

http://mkmachining.com/product-category/magnetospeedmount/

KqIdS2U.jpg

The rod that comes with the Magneto Mount is the length it is to not impede function with shorter setups. With a 20"+ rod, set all the way back for a short barrel, you'd have it coming back right in front of the action, etc.

That being said, we have rod couplers and extensions available for longer barrels, and it's also just a 3/8" steel rod, something you can get very cheap at any hardware store if you want a custom length.

KqIdS2U.jpg

Good to know. I have several of your throw levers and they've worked well for me on every scope I've used them on.

KqIdS2U.jpg

Ok cool. I didn't know you offered that so I will get one when I get back from my hunting trip this weekend.

Thanks,
Lindsay

Why not just offer a longer rod and let people cut down if needed?

Less hassle to cut down a rod then making most people a) go to the store and buy another rod or b) spend more money on a coupler.

Why not just offer a longer rod and let people cut down if needed?

Less hassle to cut down a rod then making most people a) go to the store and buy another rod or b) spend more money on a coupler.

A longer rod is not as easily adjusted than the shorter rod. If you adjusted the mount with a long rod to work on shorter setups the rod will likely end up in the face of the shooter or interfereing with the action at th back end. The short standard rod works for most setups is what I’m guessing. A longer rod would be good to have for longer setups but I wouldn’t want it on there all the time. The standard rod works for all my suppressed or non suppressed AR platforms, as well as my Manners or MPA chassis setups with barrels up to 26”” not including the muzzle brake. I do have another longer rod that I will cut down for my REALLY long barrels.