• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes SWFA SS 1-6 HD for a General Purpose Bolt Action 308

bmt

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 21, 2010
Skinner's Mudhole, Oregon
Hi Guys:

I am running a Savage Left Hand Stainless 308.

McMillan Classic Stock.

CDI Mag Box for AI mags.

The scope currently is a Leupold VX-III 3.5-10x40 with a TMR Reticle and M1 turrets (Pseudo MK 4).

barrel is 20".

This really IS my general purpose rifle. I have taken 2 classes at Thunder Ranch with it. I will be going back to ThunderRanch in August for Urban Precision Rifle.

I hunt hogs with it (California).

It is next to me at home for Coyotes that may get into the chicken coop and for 2 legged Goblins also (there is a .45 on my hip).

Actual use of this rifle is 0 to 400 yards.

I will place the current scope on my SASS/SR25/Mk 11 clone (it is un-scoped right now and does not get shot much).

Thoughts on the SWFA SS HD 1-6 for a bolt gun?

Thanks,

BMT

Picture of Rifle and Most recent hog (Before the CDI Conversion).

photo_zps26f18eb7.jpg

I really like this scope on an AR style rifle. I have shot my buddies alot. For me I would like a little more magnifacation on the top end than 6x for a bolt gun. Having said that I have made accurate hits out to 640 yards with this scope and an AR 15. I don't have the best vision and a scope with 10 power would be preferred by me. Just personal opinion. Super clear crisp glass on this scope, rock solid build quality, and the scope on 1x would be awesome for any type of up close action.

Nothing at all wrong with a 1-6x power scope for shots under 400 yds. for targets as large as your contemplating. I ran a Leupold fixed 3x on general purpose 20" barreled 308 (Sako Mannlicher) for 15 years for similar duties. I replaced the Leupold 3x with a Zeiss ZA 1.5-6x42mm and ran that combo for another 10 years.

Rifle shooting encompasses a bit more than just long range and high scope power. Sometimes less is more.

Nothing at all wrong with a 1-6x power scope for shots under 400 yds. for targets as large as your contemplating. I ran a Leupold fixed 3x on general purpose 20" barreled 308 (Sako Mannlicher) for 15 years for similar duties. I replaced the Leupold 3x with a Zeiss ZA 1.5-6x42mm and ran that combo for another 10 years.

Rifle shooting encompasses a bit more than just long range and high scope power. Sometimes less is more.

Thanks!
BMT

I have one on a LMT 308 and love it on that rifle. I've shot it at 300 yrds and throught it was plenty of scope for that range so you might be good at 400 yrds, any thing over 400 and I would want someting like a 3x15, my eyes are getting older and I'm getting where I like powerful/clear glass. If you are going to be needing a fast scope then for the money this is a nice scope, if you have more time to get on target then I personally like a little more power, expecially at longer ranges.

Good luck,
Jeff