• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Slapchop

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 1, 2009
New York
I'm looking to purchase a trail cam(s) for a 20 acre property that I have. I want to monitor the Whitetail in the area. I also have a feeling that a Black Bear has been roaming the area.

Does anyone have any experience with the Leupold RCX system? It has some sort of controller that you can use to link several cameras. Seems fairly easy to use.

What about the stuff from Wildgame Innovations?

Finally, is there a way to secure these things to trees besides the mounting screws? I'm talking something along the lines of theft prevention.

Re: Trail Cams

Can't say anything in regards to either of the selections. However, moultrie has served me well. An the small bushnell's are nice but have missed game that i KNOW they should have picked up because I saw it from the stand I was in above it.
In regards to theft prevention what worked well for me was to place it high and aim it down onto the "target" area. In addition to making it more difficult for the camera to grow legs it also has less influence on the game. (No more startled game pics or close ups of noses etc.)
Good luck and post the pic's if you get anything good

I use all cuddiebacks and they make a steel cage for bear protection that works well for theft from two legged creatures as well.

A lot of friends also use the stealth cam like hoosierswat recommended as well. Ive never used them personally but have heard only good things about them

Good luck on the camera search

I have a wildgame cam that I picked up a few months back on sale it has worked great for me so far this year. It came with (2) 2GB memory cards and a rechargeable battery pack that I have been running for over a month and is still going strong on the 1st charge and it takes probably 40 pictures a day on average. Also I think I picked it up for $120 after a rebate. I don't know any way of keeping it secured other than chaining it to the tree though instead of using the bungee's that it came with.

Hope this helps.

i have read a ton of good things about the new bushnell trophy cams. i was going to get a cuddeback this season, but i think ill get a tc instead

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bitter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use all cuddiebacks and they make a steel cage for bear protection that works well for theft from two legged creatures as well.

A lot of friends also use the stealth cam like hoosierswat recommended as well. Ive never used them personally but have heard only good things about them

Good luck on the camera search </div></div>

+1 on the cuttieback, but since you haven't heard anything bad about the stealtcam's, I'll be the first. They might not all suck ass, but I had two that did. My cheap moulties took better pictures and ran longer on a set of batteries. I sent them back to GSM for them to be checked out or repaired and a few weeks later I got a letter saying that for $75, they'd replace them. Well, I paid them and they sent me two Wildview cheap pieces of shit. I asked for my old cameras back and they said they were destroyed. I sent the wildviews back and will never buy another GSM product again. Cuddies, ReconX are great but pricey and I've had real good luck with moultries and bushnells. Your results may vary.

I have a Bushnell Trophy Camera. It replaced a Moultrie camera that took a crap this year. Their CS was not helpful at all. Never responded to any emails...I love the Bushnell though. It is very simple to use and gives you great pictures.

-Z

i have 2 moultrie's and my bud has 2 also the lcd display's on all 4 have taken a crap.moultrie sent my bud 2 lcd's with directions on how to replace them himself for free last year. I had to send one of mine back to be replaced on warranty and the other one is still f----d up.I think i'll stay away from moultrie. we have 3 cuddie's between us also they take good pics but havent had them long enough to see how they last.

the game cam technology is going to get crazy here in the mere future, this is leupolds first run with the RCX... IMHO take a look @ a day6 plotwatcher PRO this tech is going to be revolutionary in the next 5yrs... mark my words.