• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Twist Rate for 20" 308 Win

mydogsmonkey

Where's the target?
Minuteman
Nov 23, 2009
Burbank, CA
i'm looking to build my first custom bolt gun through the GB, i've been searching for a while and still on the fence as to what twist rate to get. i'm going with a bartlein 5r barrel hopefully. 1:11.25 or 1:10? i'm planning on shooting factory ammo until i learn to handload, staying under 190g probably near the 168g 175g area for now. no suppressors, no subsonic.

thanks in advance for the help!

You would be fine with either twist if you are wanting to got the 168-175gr route.

My opinion is once again either will work. I have a 1/12 twist on my AW I can reach out to a 1000 with it. I would go with the 1/10 if you are planning on shooting heavier than 175s.

1:10, 1:11 or 1:12 will all do just fine with none being any "better" than the others.

They'll all handle 110-190gr bullets great. In fact, a friend runs 208 amaxs from a 1:12 with great success.

One thing about it, a 12 twist wont shoot worth a darn

900y
003-4.jpg

Had a little gust at 600 (1/4 value)on this one which took one 168 A-Max for a little ride by the time it reached 1000y
006-4.jpg

And 190 grain berger VLD's dont do much better but sorry no pic's you'll just have to take it my word for it...

Last edited:
alright looks like most of the concensus is that all work, so i think i'll go with the 11.25" twist since they're available and will work for the loads i'm considering. thanks all!