• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

What is the best way to store barrels?

Newenglandwood

Love it !
Minuteman
Mar 30, 2011
I have been fooling around with an axmc and have a couple barrels floating around.
How do you properly store your new or quick change barrels?

I live in the northeast moderate humidity in the basement.
Enough to worry about it.
Thanks

Yeah, I keep mine stored horizontally on the top shelf or the safe with plastic thread protectors.
I don’t know why I worry, probably fine.

Rob01, you always seem to be so careful with stuff............

He probably has them all turned exactly the same way under the couch.

I have 4 leaning in the corner right now (been there a few weeks).

If they've taken a "set" then maybe just rotate them to maximize elevation when installed?

If you put your barrels under the couch, where do you keep stocks?

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Rob01
Yeah, I keep mine stored horizontally on the top shelf or the safe with plastic thread protectors.
I don’t know why I worry, probably fine.

What happens during a seismic event?

Rob01's method is a lot safer.

Leaning against the corner in my closet where I knock them all over from time to time.

Reactions: Basher
When I got the AT from MH, added a spare 6.5 barrel. I store it in a USPS square shipping "box" It's a 2"x2" x at least 24" . Think you can get 36" and cut them, maybe that's what I did, forget

You have way better shit under your couch than me.

I just looked...

Couple of gold fish, coloring book, and a crayon.

I too, live in the humid parts and I run a dehumidifier in my reloading room. I use to get surface rust on some items, but not anymore.

I keep mine in the safe with the dehumidifier going.

??? where do you keep rifes if you fill the safe with barrels ???

Some problem with barrel theft out there?

Do people pawn barrels unless they have actions and stocks attached?

Lol
I keep them in the safe because I am worried about humidity.
I wonder if my wife would mind if I put them under the couch or maybe I won’t tell her and see if she cleans under there, lord knows I don’t.

Best to be careful with them, the old saying "rust never sleeps" is true.

Indoors in a heated space, probably OK.

But if metal surface cools, condensation may form on it, could cause a problem.

Carrying indoors from cold outdoors, some attention needed.

And checking periodically is a good idea.

Humidity/condensation are not the only problems, contaminants from fingerprints, sweat, etc., cause corrosion.

There are probably some good products available to prepare/store barrels for awhile.

Was that discontinued because of the chlorinated solvent?

In the safe with 2 golden rods running. The dehumidifer in the basement is programmed to run when it gets above 40%

I keep mine in a closet, but I live in the desert and don't have to worry about humidity.

I have a spare I keep in my safe where it’s cool and dry. It’s Duracoated already, and has a generous amount of oil on the threads, bore and crown. I figure that’ll do it.

Some for the barrels came with a net and soft plastic thread protectors. Nothing fancy

I keep in my safe which is typically 45% humidity. You only have to really worry at 50%+. For anything going into storage I coat lightly with CLP inside and out. Wipe down before use and good to go.