• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Is there a good workout regimen for people without access to gym equipment?

TheGerman

Oberleutnant
Minuteman
  • Jan 25, 2010
    the Westside
    Short version is that I live in the middle of nowhere and the only real gym is a 'club' that caters more to swimming and tennis. The weight-room is more elliptical machines and treadmills (which I'd use the bikes and treadmills) but the actual weight equipment is scarce and you pretty much need to take a number to use.

I want something simple; it doesn't have to be the latest and greatest but would be willing to buy some weights, etc. As I said I have a bike as well as access to treadmills and whatnot as far as cardio goes.

I'm in decent shape now as I run and bike a bit but never to any real 'program'. I'd like a 6 day a week setup as to..do this on Day 1, do this on Day 2, etc. Does this exist anywhere? Or does anyone know of a layout that would work and you simply extend the reps/weigh/amount of time as you progress and just keep going?

look up military athlete, mountain athlete, etc they are usually based off sand bags and simple stuff that a deployed soldier would have. pretty good workouts. I tend to do gym jones myself but same idea

look up military athlete, mountain athlete, etc they are usually based off sand bags and simple stuff that a deployed soldier would have. pretty good workouts. I tend to do gym jones myself but same idea

Will do. Probably in the direction I was looking. I just want something you do consistently, it works, and you move on. I don't need to learn the latest fad or learn the newest trendy exercise, I just want something that works what is practical and looks are secondary.

yep all good stuff, i have a set of three kettle bells, a couple sandbags, a jump rope, some rings and a set of 35lb dumbells at home and i can CRUSH myself with it. you don't need much if you know how to use it.

Tons of unused or barely used exercise equipment on Craigslist.

All kinds of exercise and fitness dvd's on e-bay. Most only played once.

Big Joe right, you don't need much for equipment. Motivation and imagination is 99.9

You can get dang strong and gain high endurance doing strictly body weight exercises. I've been a Marine grunt coming up on 6 years now and the best workouts are the ones outside the gym in my experience. Weight lifting is great for putting on mass and certain directional muscle strength but in all actuality functional strength (i.e. stuff that's applicable to daily life and/or any unfortunate situation you might find yourself in) is the best kind of fitness. Stuff like crossfit and P90x are good regimens that you can follow but even then it's overkill IMO.

Here's a quick little down and dirty routine you might try following...

-3 mile run daily (if you can't run 3 miles at a consistent pace non-stop start with a mile and work your way up to it. keeping a consistent pace and having good running form is the most important part of the run). It's a great thing to do in the mornings before your day starts; wakes you up and gets blood flowing nicely. Has cardio, fat burning, toning, and muscle endurance benefits. Marine Corps PFT standard for a "perfect" run time is 3 miles in 18 minutes. Not that you have to do that but it's a good goal.

Upper Body:
    -Pushups: 5 sets of 20 repetitions. Do them slowly, keep your back straight, head up, core flexed, go all the way down to 90 degrees at the elbows, and explode up. You can vary the muscles isolated by putting your hands closer and farther apart. Diamond pushups isolate triceps nicely and nail inner chest.
    -Pullups: 5 sets of 5 repetitions. Pullups are the ultimate expression of upper body strength IMO. Works back, triceps, and core. Pullups are done with your palms facing AWAY from you. If your palms are facing you then you're doing a chinup and working more bicep muscle. That being said you can mix up the grips to focus on different muscle groups. Also, changing the width of your grip on the bar will work different muscles too.
    -Dive Bomber Pushups: 5 sets of 10 repetitions. Best thing to do is YouTube them and see how they're done. They suck.

Core...without a strong core you're limiting your potential and increasing your likelyhood of injury doing strenuous activities...CORE CORE CORE:
    -Crunches: 5 sets of 30 repetitions. Anchor your toes under something heavy and rock solid. Get your butt as close to your heels as you can, fold your arms across your chest gripping your biceps and using your abdominals, lift your body up until your elbows touch your thighs. Up and down motions should be deliberate and controlled to avoid back stress
    -Flutter kicks: 5 sets of 15 4-count repetitions. This is one of my favorites. It not only hits your core but your legs and ass as well. Lie flat on the floor, hands under your butt. Lift your legs off the ground 6 inches and kick in a slow, controlled motion. Once you complete your count, hold at 6 inches for a few seconds and then relax. Crunch your core and lift your head up off the ground while you're doing them.
    -Planks: hold position until muscle failiure. Its simple, get in the pushup position resting on your elbows. hold your back straight, flex your core, and hold it...it burns. Do this a few times. If you want a challenge, time yourself and try to stay consistent and improve each time.

Legs:
    -Air squats: 5 sets of 20 repetitions. These are simple and effective. Form is key, if you don't know proper form YouTube it and learn or else you'll just hurt yourself eventually...Feet about shoulder width apart, squat down slowly keeping your back straight and upright. up and down motions should be controlled and fluid.
    -Lunges: 5 sets of 20 repetitions (10 per leg). Another one to YouTube to learn proper form. As with squats, keep your back straight and core flexed.
    -Box Jumps: 5 sets of 10 repetitions. This works explosive strength, reflexes, and endurance. find something stable thats at least 12" high and jump up onto it, and then back down. You should only have a 1 or 2 second pause inbetween jumps. If you're a little shaky about this one YouTube it for demonstrations. It'll also work cardio.

Cardio:
    -Side Straddle Hops (jumping jacks): 5 sets of 30: If you don't know how to do these, you didn't have a childhood lol! Works cardio, endurance, and calf strength. Make sure to swing your arms all the way!
    -Shuttle run (wind sprints): find a 100 meter stretch of road or grass that's flat and free of obstructions. Sprint to one side, turn around and sprint back. If your cardio isn't that great start with a 50 meter distance. Do a total of 1000 meters (if you're using the 100m distance) or 500 meters if using the 50m distance.
    -8-count body builders: 5 sets of 10. YouTube this for a proper demonstration. Form is the most important thing here!!! don't worry about doing them fast until your form is good. This is a total body slay. >:)

I hope this is a good starting point for you. There's a bajillion other exercises I could put down here but these are some basic ones that will give you a good foundation and begin to shape warrior fitness in you. If something is too difficult to do in entirety just crank it down a tad. As you improve you can increase the number of sets and repetitions and the speed at which you do all of it. I recommend that you do this every other day until you're in good condition, then do it every day. If you want additional exercises and more info please feel free to PM me anytime.

Oh and get on a good diet plan too. Nothing crazy just eat healthy and limit carbonated drink, fatty fast food, and sweet shit intake. Nutrition is just as important as exercises if not more important!

Kill Bodies,

Josh

If you have an Apple or Android Tablet, try out Skimble Workout Trainer. It's got tons of routines pre-built and also allows you to build your own workouts. You can select from routines that only require body weight or limited equipment (dumbbells, jumprope, etc.). I like it as it gives you lots of variety.

If you do box jumps be careful coming down. It's easy to injure yourself without good form. Either step down or just do broad jumps until you get the form right.

Real simple:

Repeat each exercise 4 times
    20 push ups
    25 sit ups
    5-10 pull ups

Once your done with that then it's a 3 mile run at a 8:30 minute mile pace. Do for 2 weeks and inbox me

Try Crossfit. They recomend doing the WOD (workout of the day) but you can do the lady WOD's (named for ladies) and a lot of them are body weight with cardio mixed.

I like P90 X and insanity. Great workouts with a gym, living room or garage is just fine

I'm personally a huge fan of GORUCK and some of the stuff they are promoting. This, in my opinion, is a perfect type of workout for the type of fitness needed for schlepping a ruck and rifle while wearing snow shoes through the north-lands of Minnesota. For the past month, I've been doing workouts with their sand bag and sometimes using the never boring WOD published on their site: TRAINING | GORUCK | Built in the USA

Kettle Bells and a heavy bag
    Start light and get good technique, then move up

Bag/Bells 3:00 min beeps on 30 sec, 30 sec rest after each round.
    Hands
    Alternating swings change sides every 30 sec
    Legs
    Long cycle Swing, Clean, Press
    Hands/Legs
    Snatch
    Hands
    Windmills
    Legs
    1/4 get ups

Other kettle bell exercises:
    Figure eights
    Cross cleans
    Goblet squats
    Weighted lunges
    Around the world
    Gorilla cleans (need 2)

Start with a light one and you can do any of the above and add weight as you stretch out and get stronger.

I keep a 16 kilo bell in the truck and can workout anytime anywhere one piece of equipment. I'm 50 and started two years ago with an 8 kilo and now use 16s and 20s and am in better shape than I've been in a long time. Use a trainer to learn or YouTube. Go slow and feel the pain. Sweat is your body's fat crying.

KB's are one of the most underused pieces of equipment, you can do SO much with them. A buddy of mine owns Demon bells who makes some really nice ones just for anyone looking. another good place to look for equipment for the house is Rogue fitness, they carry some really nice stuff that won't wear out on ya with use.

Kettle Bells and a heavy bag
    Start light and get good technique, then move up

Bag/Bells 3:00 min beeps on 30 sec, 30 sec rest after each round.
    Hands
    Alternating swings change sides every 30 sec
    Legs
    Long cycle Swing, Clean, Press
    Hands/Legs
    Snatch
    Hands
    Windmills
    Legs
    1/4 get ups

Other kettle bell exercises:
    Figure eights
    Cross cleans
    Goblet squats
    Weighted lunges
    Around the world
    Gorilla cleans (need 2)

Start with a light one and you can do any of the above and add weight as you stretch out and get stronger.

I keep a 16 kilo bell in the truck and can workout anytime anywhere one piece of equipment. I'm 50 and started two years ago with an 8 kilo and now use 16s and 20s and am in better shape than I've been in a long time. Use a trainer to learn or YouTube. Go slow and feel the pain. Sweat is your body's fat crying.

if you're willing to buy weights, you can probably pick up a barbell and rack off craigs list for decent prices. few sets of kettle bells will do wonders as well. it's all how you work it.

Without heavy weight, you'll never put on size.

That said, a KB or 3, some adjustable DBs, an agility ball - bout all a person needs.

Lots of KB routines on YouTube - many of which can be adapted to DBs - esp the ab / core excercises
    Airsquats
    Pushups + angled + vertical
    Running + Sprinting + long jump + vert jump
    Pull-ups
    Burpees
    STRETCH

I use a weider crossbow.
    The original knockoff of the bowflex, not the one with the spring tension.
    You can get a very good, no impact workout with them (and the bowflex) and they have the safety factor of not needing a spotter.
    I alternate between the crossbow one day and pushup's, pull up's etc... the next day.

I use a weider crossbow.
    The original knockoff of the bowflex, not the one with the spring tension.
    You can get a very good, no impact workout with them (and the bowflex) and they have the safety factor of not needing a spotter.
    I alternate between the crossbow one day and pushup's, pull up's etc... the next day.

In a limited way the body itself is a big heavy weight; pullups and dips are what my old high school gym teacher called "man builders"...

This brought back memories from my Army days. "Iron Cross" - grab a weapon by the barrel in each arm and then extend them straight out to your sides so you arms are parallel with the ground. Hold until you feel the burn and then repeat. Enjoy :) I've got a ton more so you and your weapon can be in top shape.

I tried insanity and didn't care for it. Only did it for two weeks though. But never really felt like it was for me. The excersises were go for 2 minutes or so but I always felt like I had to rush and use bad form to get more done and if I went slow and focused on form I wasn't getting a good workout and my muscles were never sore or tired.

But its probably the same deal as a treadmill for me. I just can't stay focused and sit in one spot for that long. I can run three miles just fine on the road but put me on a treadmill and I struggle to make it a mile

P90x, but it's really hard... All you need is a pull up bar

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk

And either rubber bands or a few dumbells

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk

You might try this book. Interesting ways of using your body weight as the exercise equipment. Goes from just getting into it easy, to this is what people who are exceptionally strong do when they can't get to a weight stack.

"You Are Your Own Gym: The Bible of Bodyweight Exercises" Lauren, Mark

Kettlebells are awesome.

I put a gym in my basement. Got a decent power rack, a bench, a bar, a bunch of weight, and some adjustable dumbbells. I have a nice elliptical and a treadmill too.

I really like these dumbbells. They are like the real thing when locked up. There is also a kettlebell handle to use the plates for the dumbbells. Great system IMO. I have dumbbells to 120 and then got a set of longer screws to take one DB to 180 for rows. The kettlebell can go to over 100lbs.
    Ironmaster - Strength Multiplied

Kettlebell
    Ironmaster - Strength Multiplied

Pick up a weighted vest and go for a walk.

m a fan of atlas stones or kegs (full body workout), 2 1/4" axle (deadlifts, overhead press, rows, floor press/bench press), medium weight tractor tire (drag with rope 50', tire flip, seated hand over hand pull). With these 3 impliments you will build strength and endurance.

What JCSLONE wrote. Add a few sets of dumbbells maybe, but like he said: there are a bajillion other exercises you could do. You will find what works for you and the resources that you have available.

After you get into it for a while you might hire an expert -- just for an hour or two -- to evaluate and tweak your program and make sure you are using good form and covering all the muscle groups appropriately. For instance, I was overdeveloping my shoulders and neglecting my middle back until a physical therapist set me straight.

Reconsider that swimming pool in your local gym. When I had time/access to a pool I was swimming 1 hour , 4 times a week and I could eat whatever I wanted and not gain weight

15 minutes flutter kicks (legs)
    15 minutes crawl (chest, shoulders, legs)
    15 minutes alternating sidestroke with 2 laps freestyle after each side (lats, legs, chest, shoulders)
    15 minutes of what I call crabs. I cross my legs, bend them out straight in front of me so Im "sitting" in the water, than pull myself backward using my arms. Its like doing butterflies with dumbells and will tear your chest up. (chest)

Every muscle in your body gets worked out in water and you get cardio at the same time.

I stopped going to a gym years ago. Needed to stop training like I was to pick up a small house. Switched to push pull drag sleds and TRX suspension training. Also do box jumps and the occasional MTB ride. Slinging iron around is fun but hell on your body if you lift heavy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PM Me Ill email you my copy of Military athletes body weight program. My section uses it when we are in a "camp" garrison environment and don't have access to a gym. It will give you a base fitness. or you could by The Naked Warrior by Pavel.
    John

I agree with the rest.

But I will add a JUMP ROPE!

My home gym has 4 kettlebells (4, 8, 12, and 16 Kg), a TRX, a Battle Rope, a chin up bar, and a Jump rope. I built the chin up bar out of 1" threaded Galvanized pipe.

BMT

There are some great ideas in this thread. i will add:

Kettlebells- Expensive. Also leaning towards "acquired taste." For a person who wants simple, I don't believe buying kettlebells without having ever used them is good advice.
    Crossfit- They have some great classic body weight only workouts (Cindy, Mary, etc.). However, keep in mind the WOD's are really more like challenges. Unless, a person is already an elite athlete, they can be potentially harmful done three on, one off.

My advice, is to look up Ross Enamait and buy "Never Gymless." It is a no gimmick encyclopedia of body weight exercises. More importantly the book will teach you how to create a proper program that will get you where you want to be. There are also lots and lots of examples of workouts for strength and endurance. I cannot recommend it enough. Ross does not sell a fitness idea or tool like many others, he sells education.

One cheap and easy pice of excercise equipment that is worth picking up is the perfect pushup. Great for upperbody workouts on the go, and you can pack them easy when you travel. They have a lot of workout programs on their website if you just get tired of doing regular old pushups all day.

With a little elbow grease one could build them a cheap home gym and recover the costs fairly quickly. A squat/bench rack can be made with a few 2x4's two buckets and cement. If your into oly lifting and you have the space a platform is easily made with 6 boards of plywood some glue and some rubber matts. All you would need is a barbell and some bumper plates and some dumbells.
    Olympic platform How to Build an Olympic Lifting Platform in Less than Four Minutes: Time Lapse - YouTube

Snatch, cleans, jerks, front squats, Zercher squats, deadlifts, push press, and standing over head press plus many more are all great full body exercises one could do with just a barbell and a platform. Far better than any body weight workout.

Last edited:
    I agree with what was mentioned prior, GO RUCK, P90X, CROSSFIT, SEALFIT, SOF WOD, and if you go to the Spartan Race website you can see their WODS. Depending on how far you want to push yourself you can build your own lil crossfit style gymn at your place. 50lb sand bags make a great replacement for weights, kettle bells are great (I would recommend 35lbs or more), 40 lb dumbells are also great, punching bags are great cardio and endurance workouts and you can do sprints while carrying them also. If you can go to your local junk yard pick up a couple tires, 1 large one to flip and a regular one to swing a sledge hammer at. Like I said, I don't know how far you want to push yourself, but with crossfit style workouts your creativity can go a long way. Also the 100lb or greater resistance bands are great for pushups and for when your hitting the punching bag.

Hope this helps, if your were looking for a WOD feel free to pm me.

If you have stairs at home, use them for a cardiovascular workout. The American Council on Exercise states that climbing stairs at a brisk pace for just 13 minutes a day can improve cardiovascular health and lower cholesterol levels. Break it up by running up for one set, then walking then taking two stairs at a time.

I have been using 3 different programs this year, at the start of the year I was doing Kettleworx KettleWorX - The Global Leader in Kettlebell Fitness. You can get entry level packages that include a kettle bell and several DVD's. I have also completed 1 round of P90x3, its only 30 minute workouts compared to the original p90x which was an hour or more. I am currently finishing up my 5th week T25, it is also a shorter version of insanity, but unlike insanity you have no breaks, its straight 25 minutes and its over. I would recommend you look into any of these 3 programs.