• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

“Budget” Custom actions

If you don’t mind waiting, I would look into the Mac Bros SS EVO. If it’s as nice as my TI action, and don’t know why it wouldn’t be, I will definitely have to get one.

I went the budget route and got an ARC Nucleus 1.1 when those were on sale. I was leaning towards the Bighorn Origin, but the sale price of the 1.1 sealed the deal. I knew going into it that it wasn't 100% controlled round feed, so I tailored my expectations accordingly.

If you don’t mind waiting, I would look into the Mac Bros SS EVO. If it’s as nice as my TI action, and don’t know why it wouldn’t be, I will definitely have to get one.
do you know if the SS mack action will be offered in a long action or only on a SA length?

Do you have any other actions that you can compare your Ti action to?

@bob7-08 I don’t know if the Mack will be LA.
@lennyo3034 Ive got or had more than a few. AI, Stiller, Lawton, Defiance, FN SPR, Nucleus, etc.
Had plenty others here at the shop to shoot including Kelby And Axioms.
Go back to the CDNN days and pic up FN SPRs with BM and Near rail for 350
well that’s the best deal ive seen since I’ve been into LR.
But in today’s reality, if Mack’s SS EVO comes out in the 600-700 range
with their DLC bolt, I wouldn’t buy anything else. I like my EVO Ti as much as any action
ive used. I like the quick change barrel feature with my AIs over the EVOs, but that’s the only thing I like better about it.

Reactions: TacT-MecH
JJ Rock is making a “budget” short action. It’s on my list above the others. No particular reasons other than it being JJ Rock and I feel the price is competitive but I don’t know of any prefits being done. I doubt it’s popular enough.

+1 on JJ Rock

screenshot_20190927-095040-png.7154425

Look at Mackbros SS Evo

d08430e7-ffe5-46c7-ac63-c1306f6d98a5-jpeg.7233926

Last edited:
Wow. $575? At that price point, it's a game changer, considering a trued stainless Remington 700 is $480 from Northland. I'm hoping other custom shops start pricing their actions more aggressively.

Reactions: B4Maz
Has anyone considered or used the Gunwerks GRB action that could give their opinion/experiences? Im in the same boat as the op trying to decide a component list and see theirs is priced comparatively with others in this thread. I like their marketing but am not willing to pay for their products without real world evidence that they are superior for my intentions in some significant way. I feel the same way about all the other customs, too. Should anyone be swayed by integrated recoil lugs? Ive heard different opinions on both sides but no evidence why or why not.

I went Origin. Like the CRF, cost, the reputation of the company (product and service), but mostly because of the availability of prefit options. Really supports my ADD with regard to swapping parts.

I had been wanting a custom action for about a decade but could never really justify the costs involved for the shooting ability that I possess. I heard about the Origin and started reading about them and following the feedback. By the time you have a 700 or something similar trued, side bolt release, bolt knob, extractor and things like that done, you are already well over the cost of what Zermatt charges for one. I wanted to go 6 Dasher, so the CRF, mechanical ejector, small firing pin, and upgraded extractor were a perfect choice. The option of prefits was a big plus as well. Not to mention Zermatt's customer service is amazing. So, I ordered the action direct from them, got a 26" Proof Competition contoured prefit in 6 Dasher, a Timney Calvin Elite, a Manners PRS1 that was inlet for a Defiance (a couple hours with sandpaper and careful fitting later...), and Hawkins DBM. I bought an action wrench and a vise and put it together myself. On the first outing with fireformng loads, I had 5 round groups of .3-.6 minute at 100 yards. I had 3 touching at 180 then pulled the fourth round after a magazine malfunction. I have no doubt that it will shoot even better with fire formed cases and some load development. It took me a long time to finally build my dream rifle and with the Origin at the heart of it, I have absolutely ZERO regrets.

Another vote for the Origin here. Mine is still pretty new to me but so far, other than a slightly heavy bolt lift, it has been awesome. Just ordered a Defiance Tenacity so that I can reuse remage barrels already on hand (getting rid of R700 I have), so I will be able to compare the two soon.

Reactions: SonicBurlap
Another vote for the Origin here. Mine is still pretty new to me but so far, other than a slightly heavy bolt lift, it has been awesome. Just ordered a Defiance Tenacity so that I can reuse remage barrels already on hand (getting rid of R700 I have), so I will be able to compare the two soon.
Love to hear the differences and your thoughts. You hear a million things about the origin, nucleus, but the tenacity I don’t hear a lot about

The only negative thing that I have heard about the origin is the bolt can catch in the fully open position when cycling quickly at an odd angle which is what I have a tendency to do when hunting, unfortunately. If anyone could speak to this I would be grateful. I saw it happen on a youtube video and its partially holding me back from jumping in the bighorn boat.

minus features, how is fit, finish and smoothness between them?
I'd say equal. Being polished the tenacity may be more appealing to the eye. But other than that.
Both will bind if cycled at a angle. But cant go wrong either way.
Especially that the tenacity with integral recoil lug allows shouldered prefits.

Theres been a few people on here that have reported it, re watching to video just now though, maybe it looks like its hanging up because some rounds arent feeding as smoothly? What do you think?

Im thinking about maybe doing a switch barrel system with shouldered prefits actually. Pretty new to this custom stuff with a limited budget so im trying to learn as much as I can so I make sure I get it right the first time around. Does the origin not have as accurate shouldered prefits comparatively to the integral lug on the tenacity?

I think the issue here is a new mag (that he mentions in the vid). Sounds like these are some of the first few shots on the action too so it might still be breaking in a bit.

I had a tenacity. Sold it for a origin. Not a bad action. But I feel the origin offers more features for me.

I would have bought another origin or tried an APR G2 if I didn’t already have Remington thread barrels to use, but I’m hoping it’ll still work well. Did you by chance run a BR variant in your tenacity?

I would have bought another origin or tried an APR G2 if I didn’t already have Remington thread barrels to use, but I’m hoping it’ll still work well. Did you by chance run a BR variant in your tenacity?
No, I ran a 6cm. I had same issue on barrels. Had a cbi prefit and had a rem700. So I got the tenacity.

Reactions: txguero
Do any chassis's work with the Kelbly Atlas? Hoping something from KRG does but I believe that would take some inletting. Thanks

I've had my APR G2 for about a year now. Only 400 rds through it, but its been dry fired thousands of times. The DLC coating is wearing in the few places on the inside of the bolt raceway but otherwise its holding up well. Feeds smoothly and is very accurate

Reactions: txguero
I have shot most actions out there.
My personal rifles use Kelbly Atlas Tac or Lone Peak Fuzion TI (not at all in the "budget" category) along with several of my older builds on trued R700s that I already had as donors.
Others I would consider for my own use are the Defiance, and Bighorn, as they are very very nice as well.

Thanks for the info, I appreciate it @khuber84

Good comment @lancetkenyon thank you. How would you compare the kelbly and the lone peak? (I would get the stainless steel not TI for my application). I am actually currently choosing between those very two actions for a fun plinker in 223. Worth the price difference etc? It would be going in a KRG chassis.

Reactions: JeffLebowski
Thanks for the info, I appreciate it @khuber84

Good comment @lancetkenyon thank you. How would you compare the kelbly and the lone peak? (I would get the stainless steel not TI for my application). I am actually currently choosing between those very two actions for a fun plinker in 223. Worth the price difference etc? It would be going in a KRG chassis.
I went with Lone Peak for the TI.
If you want steel, I prefer the Kelbly.

Sorry for reposting the same question. It seemed to fall on deaf ears, but does anyone have any thoughts or experience with a Gunwerks action relative? GLR is their upper level, GRB is their budget minded side.

Sorry for reposting the same question. It seemed to fall on deaf ears, but does anyone have any thoughts or experience with a Gunwerks action relative? GLR is their upper level, GRB is their budget minded side.
I have shot a couple GRBs. They are fine, but less refined than others by a substantial margin in my experience. I was not impressed.
Never shot or handled a GLR. But for $1650, I would opt for a few other TI actions personally.

I'm new to "building" bolt action guns. If I were to buy an Origin action, would i need a gunsmith to put on a Savage prefit barrel? I want to put as much of my money into the gun rather than a gunsmith's labor. Not to mention we don't have many gunsmith's in the area.

Origin is the way to go. You can go with either a barrel nut or a shouldered prefit. I went with a shouldered prefit from Hawk Hill and it was so easy to it was ridiculous. I had to purchase a barrel vise and an action wrench but that was about it. I did check it with a go no go gauge but it was good to go, I getting ready to purchase a new barrel from Hawk Hill to replace my first one. I would not hesitate to purchase an Origin again.

Reactions: JeffLebowski
I'm a buy once, cry once kind of guy. If you're ever going to want to upgrade farther at a later date, go ahead and save those coins and get an action you truly want! Thats what I did on my Defiance Deviant Elite and I don't regret it one bit.

Deviant doesn't even have consistent enough headspace for prefit though. They are damn nice action though!

Very true, did you see the new Ruckus? It has a guaranteed headspace tolerance of +/-.001. But, I didn't go with a prefit barrel, and I wasn't sure if the OP was either.

I'm new to "building" bolt action guns. If I were to buy an Origin action, would i need a gunsmith to put on a Savage prefit barrel? I want to put as much of my money into the gun rather than a gunsmith's labor. Not to mention we don't have many gunsmith's in the area.
If your talking a barrel nut prefit then no.
Just buy a go gauge and a few easy to get tools, you could even use a case to set headspace.
Here’s my original 260, my first Shilen and my second 7 saum Barrels in use in my savage and nucleus actions
3A164B60-C23B-46C6-A6C0-94D94A2A0DC3.jpeg

They are super easy to install.

I know a couple guys that will have a 6creed barrel/bolthead for longer matches and then a 223ai or 224valk barrel/bolt for shorter stuff. Also makes sense for a trainer rifle setup. The barrel change is easier with a shouldered prefit, than a barrel nut. That said I've got a criterion savage barrel on my origin and it's a hammer.
If you red loctite the barrel nut on the Savage prefit when you install the barrel, you can install and remove it just like a shouldered prefit. Just make sure you don't get the loctite in the action threads. Also, use loctite brand. I had trouble getting the permatex brand to bond to the stainless. No problems with loctite on 3 Criterion Savage prefits going on and off of TL3 actions. I torque them to 65 ft lbs and have zero issues. It makes for cheap, good, training barrels and also works for decent match barrels when times are a little tight. I have had several Criterion prefit barrels and all have shot half minute or under with very little load development.

Very true, did you see the new Ruckus? It has a guaranteed headspace tolerance of +/-.001. But, I didn't go with a prefit barrel, and I wasn't sure if the OP was either.
I was looking at the tenacity and seeing they have a tolerance of +/- .001" also. What tolerances are you looking for to do reliable shouldered prefits with the best results?

If you red loctite the barrel nut on the Savage prefit when you install the barrel, you can install and remove it just like a shouldered prefit. Just make sure you don't get the loctite in the action threads. Also, use loctite brand. I had trouble getting the permatex brand to bond to the stainless. No problems with loctite on 3 Criterion Savage prefits going on and off of TL3 actions. I torque them to 65 ft lbs and have zero issues. It makes for cheap, good, training barrels and also works for decent match barrels when times are a little tight. I have had several Criterion prefit barrels and all have shot half minute or under with very little load development.

can you heat it up after the barrel is toast to remove the barrel nut?

If your talking a barrel nut prefit then no.
Just buy a go gauge and a few easy to get tools, you could even use a case to set headspace.
Here’s my original 260, my first Shilen and my second 7 saum Barrels in use in my savage and nucleus actions
View attachment 7288830
They are super easy to install.
That is what I was hoping to hear. Since this is my first build but don’t want to go cheap either I’m trying to find that middle ground with a quality action, but also something I can pretty much build myself. The Origin action seems to be a good choice. Just need to find a good savage prefit with small shank (as that looks like what is needed for the Origin).