• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing '09 argentine mauser action - what caliber?

BK7saum

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 17, 2010
Southern OK
I have an argentine mauser action setting in my gun safe. Have thought for a long time about building a 338-06. How would the cartridge work in the mauser? I'm thinking that the magazine would not really be as long as I would want. Also, I know that the '91 argentine mauser is considered one of the best mauser actions to build from.

I am also now considering a 6.5x55. That should fit nicely in the argentine.

Understandably this isn't going to be a tactical rifle. Would you use a mauser for a build, or something more modern? Trying to decide if I want to start a project with the mauser. Would it be acceptable for a build? Too weak? Anyone had second thoughts after starting a mauser project.

Re: '91 argentine mauser action - what caliber?

Here's my Turk Mauser that I built. The scope is a POS, but it has since been replaced.

It is chambered in 30-06 and my primary load is a 208 Amax over a stiff charge of RL-22. We had it out yesterday and were whomping steel with it at 500yd, it was a joke to hit an 8" plate at that distance even with some tricky wind conditions. The rifles can be built into absolute hammers by someone who knows what they're doing.

P5175444.JPG

There is a lot of hand work that went into cleaning up the receiver that is an uncounted number of hours, but as you can see they can be cleaned up into gorgeous rifles.

I wouldn't sell that action short on a tactical build either. DBM is a PITA but there are some threads on here about converting the actions to use M14 type magazines. I haven't done one that way but it appears that it will work well.

The 260 would be a great round to put in a Mauser action, especially if you feel up to changing out for the DBM conversion.

If you want to keep the regular top loader config then a 6.5x55 Swede is a good round that will run circles around the 260 and you'll have the magazine space to really run it properly.

The 1891 is one of the most sleek, and sexy mauser actions. With the absence of the claw extractor (with the sacrifice of CRF) it also has a somewhat stronger reciever ring as there is more material since the metal normally removed for the extractor cut is still there. BUT, it is still a small ring mauser, and as such is not suitable for modern high pressure rounds. We just built one in 7x57, and in the past have made nice rifles in 7.62x39 and 257 Roberts. The other drawback to the 1891 is that the lock time can be measured with a stop watch. I think you may have the 91 Argy confused with the 1909 Argy. The 09 is by and far considered the best military mauser action for sporters as its strong enough for magnums and has gorgeous hinged bottom metal. Finding a nice stock without investing the value of the whole rifle is tough too. Head over to mausercentral.com and ask about. We're there as evil_monkey and those are the guys who can fill you in on all things mauser. I'll try and post some pics of our project 91, its still in the white and we just barely proof fired it.

As far as DBM, the 1891 already has it, but its an arcaic design and single stack. Good luck whatever you decide.

Kenda,

You are absolutely correct. I was mistaken about the year. Mine is an argentine but the '09, not the '91. (I think I read '91 somewhere last night while browsing other posts).

Thanks for the info. I'll be browsing over at mausercentral some in the future.

I was a little disappointed when I first got the action. Someone had replaced the hinged floorplate bottom metal with turk or yugo bottom metal. I have since bought hinged bottom metal from Numrich for the build. The action appears to be in excellent condition. Guess I need to order up some parts.

Thanks, again.

Why? Why put the serious coins and time into building a rifle on a VERY retro rifle action? A good modern 98 I could understand. But...an '09. Revolutionary for the time. Only 100 years ago. Soft steel compared to today. Tempered by "eye". Not even complete as to year group. Don't load over the 45,000 psi or you will risk an eye. Or cheekbone. Or...TAPS. JMHO

I've built up a number of mausers into some real tack drivers; including an '09 argentine. My personal hunting rifle is a Turkish '98 in .30-338 Win Mag, and it's one heck of a shooter. Shilen barrel (#6 with a Vais brake), bedded into a B&C Varmint stock, trued receiver, with a recoil lugged scope base I built for it.

Why? Because despite its antiquity, it's a very good action. Further, for many decades, the Mauser was the prime action of choice for upgrades and custom builds, and there is a vast body of knowledge and experience available dealing with how to get the best results out of that action.

For a chambering, I'd seriously consider the 6.5X55, and for a more modern, more Tacticooler D/M chambering, I think the .260 Rem is a slam-dunk, due to its compatibility with several .308 based D/M's.

Greg

Re: '09 argentine mauser action - what caliber?

I have done three Mauser conversion and am planning a fourth. The first two are pre-war M98's that I bought at an estate sale in the early 80's. I never learned the history but both were pristine barrelled actions and they had been packed in cosmoline and wrapped in brown paper for storage. But a C note made them both mine. I picked up the third and fourth in a smiliar fashion but I think I paid $ 100 or $ 125 for each.

I had one re-barrelled into a 270 Win with a Douglas XX barrel and the other into a 257 Roberts Improved using a Shilen barrel. Both were stocked with composite stocks but I cannot remember who the stock makers are. The third one came a little latter and it is an 09 Argentine and it is in 338-06 Improved on Shilen barrel. That one has a Fajen classic style stock with no cheek piece. On all three I replaced the firing pins and springs to improve lock time and all three have Timney triggers. I also had the safeties converted to the old M70 style. The fourth one might become a 260 Rem or a 7-08. I have a Douglas XX 7-08 barrel to use but.. choices.. choices.

These are hunting rifles and I personally like the CRF. Of all the rifles that I have owned and own, these three will stay with me forever. My wife and daughter like these rifles and when my nephews come for mule deer there is always a fight over who gets to use what. I have M70's, R700, a couple of Sakos a Savage or two but everyone want to use these three.

The only downside to any of these is with the 270. When I built it I used Nosler Partition bullets almost all the time and the magazine length was not a problem. But with some of the newer bullet styles I have to watch the seating depth in order to work through the length I have. But, they are hunting rifles and this has not been a problem. The deer seem to die just the same.

I would say go for it.

I'm sorry. I am not the type of girl who takes issue with folks alot. But, if one can't understand the "why?" of building your own rifle out of THE bolt action of bolt actions, I doubt anyone will reach him.

In generalites: How about the pride of a job well done, the satisfaction of seeing others admire YOUR craftsmanship. Its like hotrods. The wannabe's brag about the car they "built" with work they paid someone else to do. The guy who built his own, with his own hands, can give you every intimate detail of the build and gives credit freely to anyone who lent a hand.

The action: All of the "modern" bolt actions are direct descendants of Paul Mausers design. He invented the bolt action and refined it through several designs. If you look at the greatest of the mausers, the 98, and compare them to the Rem 700, Win 70, and Savage 10/110 families you'll see that their "improved" design in each case gives up at least one of the good features on the 98. Mainly CRF. Mauser is the most prolific bolt action ever. Who could not see that? Top it off with the fact that L/R mausers have excellent gas handling features, they are cheap, easy to find parts for, and why wouldn't you want to build one?

Obviously not everyone has the abilility, and when in doubt- don't. But for those with the skills, tools, and time its very rewarding and enjoyable. My mauser shoots sub-moa, and gets so much more action than my Rock barreled AR that its due for a new barrel soon. What I paid for the Rock mid-gas chrome lined carbine barrel is twice what I have into my mauser. Granted, when you have your own lathe and are married to an experienced armorer its a lot easier, but you get my point. With an 09 Argy, the only limit is bolt face, and your imagination. The guys at MC will give you all the help you'll need. Don't let the non-believers get to ya!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kenda</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> But, if one can't understand the "why?" of building your own rifle out of THE bolt action of bolt actions, I doubt anyone will reach him.
</div></div>

+ 100%

Anyone that says they can't get a mauser to shoot, doesn't know what they are talking about......

I used to target these for sporters. I was a big fan of the hinged floorplate and quality of workmanship.I still have one in 6.5- 06 it is one of my favorite rifles

Cool old action and strong enough for most any thing you can stand behind. I have done them from 22-250 to 500 Jeffery and the only issue is making them feed all of the stuff they were never designed for!

The 09 action is one of the cream of the crop actions. Any doubts about it holding PSI, have it heat treated. Cost is about 150. The bottom metal is hard to come by for a sporter.

Thanks, everyone, for your input. I have had this action for a while and the build has been on the back burner, so to speak. Guess I'll just have to come to a final decision on caliber and get everything sent off to a smith.