• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

1/14 Twist .308

nashlaw

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 16, 2006
manchester, tn
I really like shooting the 155g Nosler Customs and I want to use this as an excuse to build another rifle. Anyone running 155s in a 1/14 twist? I have read that this is the twist used by Palma shooters, but am wanting some more info.

Thanks, David

Re: 1/14 Twist .308

Shooting 155 scennars with 30 inch 1/13 krieger barrel.
Pushing 3000 fps,best group 5 1/2 at 1000 yards,love shooting this .308.

I think that is a no go. Too slow to stabilize a 155, even when you are running at super fast velocities. I think I read about Mike Miller having a slow twist that would not stabilize 155's. I think it was 1:13" or 1:14".

155's may be light, but you have to remember that they are also very long for their weight. It is the length that is more difficult to stabilize.

Now if you wanted to shoot flat base bullets, you could get away with a 1:14". Not with BTHP's in 155 gr.

Int the past, at the World Championship Team and Individual palma matches, all teams were subject to have to use the ammo provided by the host country.
Factory ammo had to be used and it was 308 only. Well most countries that participated in these World Championships were NATO countries and back then the primary 308 ammo in NATO contract ammo was the 147 grain FMJ. So hence the use of the 14 twist barrel in 308 palma guns.

Then the rules were changed for the 95 Worlds, which if I remember correctly were held in South Africa, where by each country could bring their own ammo for the championships. This is where Sierra designed the 155 Palma bullet. If you have ever heard of the "95 Palma chamber", this chamber was designed for use with the new Sierra 155 Palma bullet. The barrel twist for this bullet was determined that a 13 twist was best suited.

But now, with the new designs of bullets, it has been found that a 12 twist is more appropriate to use. And the chamber design for the newer palma bullets is the 2011 Palma Chamber.

So if your thinking of shooting the newer style of 155's, I would suggest that might want to consider getting a 12 twist medium palma taper chambered with a 2011 Palma reamer.

J/C...

Is the "2011 Palma Chamber" now geared around the Berger VLD that tested better?

It is more suited to the newer 155 class of bullets, ie: Berger 155.5 Fullbore, Sierra 155 (2156) Palma and the Berger 155 Hybrid. But works good with the older ones too, since the generally jump well! I would say that it is a good chamber for the Berger 155VLD too, but I would rather use the Fullbore bullet instead, or maybe the Hybrid, but reports on the line have been that folks have had problems in getting a 30 cal Hybrid bullet to work as well as the Fullbore bullet. I feel that the concept that Bryan has with the hybrid bullet is a great thing, but it seems to me, that the smaller the diameter of a bullet is, the better the hybrid concept seems to work. In theory, the proportion of the caliber to weight would go up for the hybrid to work. So if the 6mm 105 hybrid is a fantastic bullet, it would seem to me that the 30 cal bullet would have to be in the weight range of 240 grains to compare in profile to be viable. Which is a way too big of a bullet to be using in the 308, much less the 2011 Palma Chamber.