• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

1:8 twist too fast for 22-250?

MJY65

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 4, 2011
Minnesota
I've spent the last day reading different articles on this, but am getting conflicting answers.

I'm going to have my Rem 700VSSF rebarreled in 22-250. The standard Remington barrels are 1:14, but I know they are intended for VERY light bullets at max velocity. My plan is to be in the range of 55-69grains (maybe 75), using Ballistic Tips and Match Kings. Obviously, those bullets shoot well out of 1:7-1:9 ARs, but the extra velocity of the 22-250 may be a factor as well.

I'm actually looking at the Bartlein 1:8 (7.7) twist barrel. I'd appreciate comments from anyone who is using a 22-250 with a fast twist barrel.

Thanks

I have a 22-250 Ackley with a 1/8 twist barrel. The only problem I've had are with the 40gr varmint hollowpoints. It would sling the jackets off about every 3rd round. The 40gr vmax didn't have any problems though. The 75gr amax are what I normally use.

I have an 8T on a 22-243 Middlestead that has 80 amax going 3550 fps... works very well for the heavier projectiles. Shot 55 dogtowns to fireform without issue.

Last edited:
1:8 twist too fast for 22-250?

75AMAX and 80 JLKs in an 8 twist 22-250 is ideal: 6 Mils to 1000. Throat long and feed from the mag box.

Last edited:
Dpr .22-250

Last year I took the action from a worn out Rem 700 SPS .223 decided to build a custom fast twist .22-250 capable of shooting the heavy, high BC .22 bullets. I searched for a 1-7" twist barrel as I had originally planned to shoot the Berger 90gr VLD with a .553 G1 BC...I had no luck finding one quick enough so I went with a 1-8" twist. This project turned out better than I could have imagined. I mostly use 80gr AMAX's but occasionally shoot 80 VLD's. It shoots both incredibly accurately. At 1,000 yds I shoot this rifle as well as any of my others. Come up at that distance is approx 7.1 mils depending on environmental conditions. Below are the rifle specs and pics.

Rem 700 SA - Blueprinted
PT&G replacement bolt .308 bolt face, spiral fluted
Brux MTU 1-8" twist cut to 26"
McMillan A5A pillar and glass bedded
Surgeon bottom metal
Jewel HVR trigger
Badger 20 MOA rail
Metal Cerakoted in FDE

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    888.3 KB · Views: 43
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    977.8 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
Right or wrong I went with 1:10 for a "middle of the road" approach of handling multiple grain weight projectiles. Still waiting on delivery, so I have no performance information to add. Sorry. Anyone else running a 1:10 in 22-250?

The real question is do you see yourself shooting heavier bullets at any point in this rifle? If not 1-9 is perfect.

I like 8 twist 22-250s alot. Have 3 of them currently( all rock barrels) I do have 1 bartlein 8 twist but its a 223ai( also 2 more rock 223 ai 8 twists) all shoot. I use the amax bullets alot, coyotes, fox, bear, lion. Love the results. Would like to try the bergers if i run out of amax before they run them again. Have also shot 50-55gr bullets threw the 8 twist, all worked for me .I would always do 8 twist 22cal