• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing 1. HOW-TO: Ultimate AR Bolt Slick up

Hellbender

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 23, 2008
Lebanon, Missouri
Part 1 of ??:

I'm working up/building my "Ultimate Long Range AR" over the next few days and am going to document some of the work I'm doing to it. I'll soon post in the "SH Semi-Auto Rifles" section the specs (and goals) of the gun and some completed pics.

I've messed with AR's for over 30 years, I was an USAR Ordnance officer for 8 years (1981-1988) (schooled heavily in the system, and got to work on a few over the years) and have been an avid hobbyist gunsmith and competitor since the early 80's. Also had a gun shop for several years and have worked on hundreds of these rifles. I have a pretty complete shop with about any machine tool I need, but most of these mods can be done with hand tools, a hand drill and a Dremel.

Some of these mods may be controversial and many will say they are not necessary, and that may be true, but they really make a nice gun that will work and feel so slick you won't believe it. I also believe anything you do to make the rifle return to battery more consistently can only help the accuracy and reliability. Anyway..........

Bolt Slick up......

These mods will reduce or eliminate the "brass shaving" problem many rifles exhibit, it will also increase reliability in several ways and make the return to battery very consistent. These pics are of a DPMS LR bolt, but all these things will be the same for AR-15's also.

Remember, on all these mods, you are only polishing and slightly (a couple of thousandths) rounding the corners off, you ARE NOT removing a lot of metal.

Get the following tools:

A pack of black emory paper in mixed grits of 220-400

Dremel tool with some buffing pads and polishing compound

Hand drill or drill press or lathe

Can of brake cleaner

600 grit lapping compound, here's what I use....

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/sid=4058/pid=1137/sku/_600_Lapping_Compound

A fine sharpening stone.

COMPLETELY disassemble the bolt and clean all the oil off everything with brake cleaner

Start with the extractor, look at the pic below and polish the area where the extractor slides over the rim of the case, start with the 320 grit paper wrapped around a round rod and finish up with the Dremel, it should look like a mirror after you're done. Don't mess with the actual "hook" that grabs the case rim. I also smooth up the sharp edges on each side of the extractor groove, as these can scrape off brass as the case rim turns during bolt rotation.

Check the ejector spring in the hole and make sure it slides freely with nothing grabbing in the hole, stone the sharp edges of the spring where it can rub/scrape on the sides of the hole.

Check the ejector in the hole and make sure nothing rubs, polish the face (that touches the shell head) of the ejector, use the stone and the Dremel to a mirror finish.

DSC00057.jpg

Now the bolt body.....

The flat, sharp edge on the bolt face (where the extractor sits) needs a small chamfer put on it, also the edges of the ejector hole needs smoothed up. Think of the case head turning and sliding against these sharp edges with several thousand pounds of pressure on it......and you wonder why there are brass shavings there???

DSC00063.jpg

Chuck the tail of the bolt body (the small end) in a drill or lathe, and while spinning it, wrap some 320 emory cloth around a small, flat tool and polish the bolt face.

Here's what it should look like when you are finished:

DSC00055.jpg

Now to the bottom of the bolt; put the bolt in the carrier and find the lugs that grab the shells from the magazine, here's a pic:

Slightly round and polish the rear sharp corners (bolt carrier side only) of these lugs, as they can scrape the shoulders of the cases in the mag as the bolt cycles to the rear. (Not all calibers/mags will hit here, but I do it on everything anyway)

DSC00058.jpg

Now we can lap the bolt lugs to the barrel extension......

Take an empty case and cut it in two, then find a spring that will fit inside the case like this:

DSC00053.jpg

Clean the locking lugs on the bolt and inside the barrel extension with the brake cleaner.

Assemble the bolt and carrier group all back together, WITHOUT the ejector and extractor in the bolt.

Put a little of the 600 grit lapping compound on the rear (bolt carrier side) of each of the bolt locking lugs.

Put your spring loaded cartridge in the chamber, slide in the BCG, and assemble the rifle.

Pull back slightly on the charging handle (1/2" or so), just enough to work the locking lugs and slightly retract the bolt. The spring inside the case needs cut so that the rifle recoil spring will close the bolt.

Work the bolt 100 times or so, put new lapping compound on the lugs every 25 strokes or so. I watch the wear pattern on the bluing on the back of the lugs and quit when I get to about 70% contact on all the lugs, many rifles only hit 3 or 4 lugs when new.

You will NOT create excessive headspace by doing this if you use the 600 grit, it is very fine, and will only knock off the high, rough spots on the lugs, it is basically doing what 500-1000 fired rounds would do to a stock bolt.

That should finish the bolt, I'll do another writeup when I get time on the carrier and some other stuff.

Reactions: aac_shooter
Re: 1. HOW-TO: Ultimate AR Bolt Slick up

Hellbender,

Nice write up. Thanks for the information.

DocB

Good write up. I have been doing these types of mods for years when i build AR service rifles for competition. One mod i do is to reshape the ejector face so it is dome shaped. Doing this keeps the ejector from shaving brass when the bolt rotates into battery.

Fantastic Post!
Please continue as time permits.

This is a good write. Thank you, interesting the stuff you can learn when one thinks outside of the box. I will follow this post. JIM

toolmaker64...

If you look at the first pic, I put a pretty good radius on the ejector also.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hellbender</div><div class="ubbcode-body">toolmaker64...

If you look at the first pic, I put a pretty good radius on the ejector also. </div></div> Yes, i did notice that.

Great info Hellbender.
I have heard of removing a small amount of material from the rear of the lug opposite of the extractor so that lug doesn't make contact.
In theory this distributes lug pressure across an even number (6) of lugs as opposed to seven. Supposed to help uneven pressure on the bolt head.
Ever hear of this mod?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: locked&loaded</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Great info Hellbender.
I have heard of removing a small amount of material from the rear of the lug opposite of the extractor so that lug doesn't make contact.
In theory this distributes lug pressure across an even number (6) of lugs as opposed to seven. Supposed to help uneven pressure on the bolt head.
Ever hear of this mod? </div></div>

Yes, Armalite does it on their rifles. On an unlapped, stock bolt, it may help, but I think lapping is a better method.

If you have ever checked lug contact on several AR's, you wonder how they work as well as they do.

Most have under 30-40% contact, many have only 3 or 4 lugs even touching!

Beautiful, Hellbender. I do mine with one slight difference. Check the tail of the bolt
in a drill.
Then I polish the carrier with a wool buffer.
The chamber I polish with a cotton cloth laden with flitz or rubbing compound and motor oil on a rod chucked similarly and get the feed ramps while Im at it.

You did a great amount of work on the 6LR

Here's a bolt I did this morning.

2iqokkk.jpg

35bzedd.jpg

Well, unfortunately the lens focused on my dirty fingers.

Casey,

Looks good!

It's amazing how much slicker a gun feels after doing all these mods, people pull back my charging handle (while chamber checking) and say WOW, is that thing on ball bearings?

I know, right? I hate phosphate. Amazing too what grease will do for metal to metal contact. Some must think engine oil is a fuel additive.

So how does this affect corrosion ?

At the parts being polished chromed ?

Just curious how the exposed metal works with everything

Looks nice

The more I think about these mods, the less I like them.

For starters, your rifle should run perfectly without any of these mods. If it does not, then you have a problem that won't be solved by polishing...something is out of spec.

So, functionally you are gaining nothing in terms of actual sending rounds downrange.

The downside to this is that many AR parts are case hardened...so too much polishing on those parts and you get to the softer metal underneath. Bad juju...

As far as brass shaving, yes...you get a little but not if the gun is built correctly in the first place and what little you get should be floated away by lube. The AR is a wet system and should be run wet. Lube keeps carbon and debris soft and in suspension where it can be moved away from contact surfaces.

The bottom line for me on this is that I see no benifit from these mods and many potential downsides. Great work and attention to detail...but it isn't going to change the functionality of a rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lw8</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
For starters, your rifle should run perfectly without any of these mods. If it does not, then you have a problem that won't be solved by polishing...something is out of spec.

</div></div>

i am sure his rifle runs perfectly without the mods. but having even contact with bolt lugs isnt "out of spec" its standard. standard on the rem700 too. a rifle will run without good contact on ALL lugs but it will certainly shoot straighter with more contact.

hellbender - as far as that that ball bearing feeling. have you ever polished the cam pin? i have heard that helps alot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: halon</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lw8</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

</div></div>

i am sure his rifle runs perfectly without the mods. but having even contact with bolt lugs isnt "out of spec" its standard. standard on the rem700 too. a rifle will run without good contact on ALL lugs but it will certainly shoot straighter with more contact.

hellbender - as far as that that ball bearing feeling. have you ever polished the cam pin? i have heard that helps alot. </div></div>

I don't believe it would shoot better with these mods....likely no worse...but no better.

Invest the money in correct components up front and the rifle will run. Polishing isn't going to change that one way or another.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hellbender</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Rprecision..

If your BCG is ever dry enough to worry about corrosion, you need to do more research on lubing AR's.

</div></div>

If your hanging your hat on keeping oil/lube/CLP on the bolt you dont shoot like I do. A single mag will clear that off in no time flat. In your humid enviroment I would figure this would be a concern as well?

At any rate I dont know if doing this is for me. I see the advatage to polishing some of these parts not sure it offers all that much.

Guys,

This series was written for the "Ultimate" TARGET/MATCH gun, NOT a combat or "burn up several mag's of ammo while fighting in the jungle" gun.

These tricks and tips aren't new, they have been used for many years on CMP match guns and "Space" guns.

Some of the tips will be of benefit for different applications.

But to get an AR shooting CONSISTENT 1/2" or better groups, and especially to shoot 1/4-3/8" groups, you MUST take advantage of everything possible.

Reactions: Westcoast308

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hellbender</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Guys,

This series was written for the "Ultimate" TARGET/MATCH gun, NOT a combat or "burn up several mag's of ammo while fighting in the jungle" gun.

These tricks and tips aren't new, they have been used for many years on CMP match guns and "Space" guns.

Some of the tips will be of benefit for different applications.

But to get an AR shooting CONSISTENT 1/2" or better groups, and especially to shoot 1/4-3/8" groups, you MUST take advantage of everything possible.
</div></div>

Good info, I wasnt tryin to piss on your thread!

It is intresting how match stuff can be modded

Thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lw8</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The more I think about these mods, the less I like them.

So, functionally you are gaining nothing in terms of actual sending rounds downrange.

The downside to this is that many AR parts are case hardened...so too much polishing on those parts and you get to the softer metal underneath. Bad juju...

As far as brass shaving, yes...you get a little but not if the gun is built correctly in the first place and what little you get should be floated away by lube. The AR is a wet system and should be run wet. Lube keeps carbon and debris soft and in suspension where it can be moved away from contact surfaces.

The bottom line for me on this is that I see no benifit from these mods and many potential downsides. Great work and attention to detail...but it isn't going to change the functionality of a rifle. </div></div>

I've shot my fair share of AR15's and 308 platform AR's, not to mention being a military rifle enthusiast. I'm not an expert, nor have I served in the military, but every autoloading rifle that I've shot has dinged brass in some way shape or form. For me, if I want to shoot more expensive ammo like 6.5 Grendel/Creedmoor, I want my brass to have the least wear and tear possible. I think these mods don't serve as a substitute for a correct in-spec build, much in the same way a correct in-spec build doesn't guarantee perfectly pristine brass, but it affords me the possibility of optimizing the brass wear so that I'm not chucking brass after 2 or 3 firings. Fine tuning isn't something to be discouraged...I think of that experimentation and tweaking a design leads to innovation. Imagine if hot rodders had been afraid to tweak stock parts...

Slightly round and polish the rear sharp corners (bolt carrier side only) of these lugs, as they can scrape the shoulders of the cases in the mag as the bolt cycles to the rear. (Not all calibers/mags will hit here, but I do it on everything anyway)
This may be the cause of my 6.5 grendel brass scratches on the shoulder.

I was not smart enough to check there.

Thanks for kick starting this old thread.