• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

10/22 bbl - gm vs ershaw

ivanthesane

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 12, 2010
Looking at getting a bull 18-22" barrel. Plain blue no flutes threads etc

Both Green Mountain and ER Shaw have them and price is about the same.

Thoughts?

I have an ERShaw .920 on my 10/22 takedown and it is a tack driver. No complaints on the Shaw barrels.

I have a fluted Shaw barrel that also drives tacks. GH

^^^ "All day long, if I do my part, if the conditions are right..."

A KIDD is $35 more - that's my thought.

A KIDD is $35 more - that's my thought.

^This^ - I've had a GM in the past and while it shot well I can tell you the Kidd easily worth the $35 more hands down if you can swing it. I've spend the the better part of the last 10 years and more money than I care to admit trying to make my 10/22 shoot the way I want it too and I'm glad to say I'm finally there (wife probably is too) via Kidd barrel and trigger. Honestly if I had to sell all my guns off and could only keep one of my rifles it would come down to my 10/22 (w/kidd barrel) or my Surgeon.

Ummm. The KIDD while nice is 2x the price of the 18" blued bull offerings from ER Shaw or GM

I cant afford that.

However it sounds like Shaw and GM are pretty much equal and I will probably be happy with whichever I can get the best deal on

I ran a GM 20" fluted for 2 years in competition(Sportsman's Team Challenge) and was very pleased with the accuracy I got while shooting CCI SV 40gr.

Switched to a 18" fluted and threaded GM for the next 2 years, same accuracy as 20"

Both barrels would give me 1/4 to 3/8 at 50yds and around 3/4 at 100yds.

I now have a full KIDD rifle and can attest to the above statements about KIDD barrels... They stack rounds on paper. I have a 20" .920 without flutes and it is threaded. KIDD barrels are awesome and the thread protectors are a work of art!

I have had one 20" Green Mountain Fluted an have built 3 other 10/22's with 20" Green Mountain 20" Fluted Barrels. All have shot quite well, at least to the owners expectations. I also have built a couple with 20" KIDD Barrels. For me personally I would have to say the KIDD Barrels have shot slightly better. However the difference between what brand & type of ammo a particular barrel likes will be a lot more difference than the difference between a Green Mountain and a KIDD, all other things equal.

Also had an old Butler Creek 20" Bull Barrel that shot quite well also.

Larry