• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

10/22 Build: Where to spend my money

How would that save money? A Kidd supergrade barreled action is over $1200 and $1900 with a magpul stock I wouldn't buy.
I regret coming back to this thread again, but...on what fucking planet does a magpul stock cost $700? FFS, I put together a complete Kidd last fall in Boyd's stock, with a $300 Leupold scope and $100 rings that came up to a total of $1732.

Edit add: For the people that say something to the effect of, "that's Vudoo $$$", I have one of those too...and 5 complete Kidd rifles.

How would that save money? A Kidd supergrade barreled action is over $1200 and $1900 with a magpul stock I wouldn't buy.
My point is that for the money, I'd prefer to buy a Kidd Supergrade Rifle over parting out a Ruger and building from that. Save money as in "increase your funds to a level where you are not constrained by a $800 budget."

I have a Kidd Supergrade and another 10/22 that is built from a Ruger receiver (from a 30 year old rifle) and a Tac Sol barrel. Both sport the magpul stock and Kidd 2 stage triggers. The Kidd Supergrade is head and shoulders better than the other, even though the Tac Sol barrel isn't a slouch. The Ruger was sitting in the safe when I decided I needed a 'match' 22. I didn't even consider building it out. I just went to Kidd and bought a rifle. The other was built later. The Kidd is competitive with Vudoo Rifles it has shot against (not a winner every outing, but top 10 against a stacked field is not a stretch). The Ruger is not. By the time you get a barrel and a trigger, you have eaten the vast majority of your budget, and you don't have a stock or a receiver or a bolt to build the rifle. And, a match rifle needs match ammunition to really shine. Everyone says "My rifle shoots CCI SV as well as X brand match ammo." Well, prove it. Post your CCI SV 6x5 in the 22lr 6x5 thread.

I built the Ruger/TacSol rifle because I wanted a suppressed 22lr, and I ordered the Kidd without a threaded barrel. (Ear pro is required at the 22lr match, so a suppressor didn't make sense for it.) It's fun to shoot and it groups well, but "wallet groups" from that rifle are what the Kidd does with ammo it doesn't like.

If you don't like the magpul stock, buy a Supergrade barreled action and the Kidd chassis, or the Titan Chassis, or some other stock. You're still going to be in it for well more than the $800, but you'll have a demonstratively better rifle.

Don't treat a 22lr build as a "kids' rifle" with a low ball budget because its "just a 22" or "just a 10/22." Shooters are spending just as much on their 22lr rifles as they are on their centerfire rifles, topping them with 1st tier optics, and shooting $20/50 ammunition for a reason.

Inexpensive
Quality
Available
Pick 2 of the above...

Reactions: Cowpokey
I regret coming back to this thread again, but...on what fucking planet does a magpul stock cost $700? FFS, I put together a complete Kidd last fall in Boyd's stock, with a $300 Leupold scope and $100 rings that came up to a total of $1732.
It's not $700 for a magpul stock. It's $700 for a magpul stock and a completed rifle with factory support. Not a bag of parts and some well wishes...

It's not $700 for a magpul stock. It's $700 for a magpul stock and a completed rifle with factory support. Not a bag of parts and some well wishes...
A complete Kidd Supergrade or Slip-Fit ($5 difference between the two), with bolt, trigger group and everything but stock is ~$1100...up from less than $900 that I paid for the first 4. What factory support are you implying? Kidd sends the barreled action completely assembled, it doesn't cost any extra. People with no actual experience purchasing from Kidd sure like to make up stories and argue with fairytale bouncing around in their heads.

Reactions: MarkCZ
A complete Kidd Supergrade or Slip-Fit ($5 difference between the two), with bolt, trigger group and everything but stock is ~$1100...up from less than $900 that I paid for the first 4. What factory support are you implying? Kidd sends the barreled action completely assembled, it doesn't cost any extra. People with no actual experience purchasing from Kidd sure like to make up stories and argue with fairytale bouncing around in their heads.
TBH, I only have a single Kidd supergrade, and have never had an issue with it. I paid for a complete rifle and that is what I received. The cost difference between a barreled action (+ trigger + bolt + stock + whatever else) and a complete gun (parts + professional assembly + warranty on a complete rifle) was totally worth it to me- just in time to put it together. I suppose everyone has their own $/hr calculation they are working on...

Boo Hoo for you "Captain" if this former E4 can afford a Kidd/or anything better so can you, I have spent many thousands of dollars settling for something that works, had I just saved my pennies, I would have had the best from the get go, and that money saved could have gone to training time and ammo, buy once cry once!
Gentlemen,

Let's keep the dialog respectful while in the tech forums. If you want to have a bitch session...take it to the pit.

Reactions: Ravenworks
My point is that for the money, I'd prefer to buy a Kidd Supergrade Rifle over parting out a Ruger and building from that. Save money as in "increase your funds to a level where you are not constrained by a $800 budget."

I have a Kidd Supergrade and another 10/22 that is built from a Ruger receiver (from a 30 year old rifle) and a Tac Sol barrel. Both sport the magpul stock and Kidd 2 stage triggers. The Kidd Supergrade is head and shoulders better than the other, even though the Tac Sol barrel isn't a slouch. The Ruger was sitting in the safe when I decided I needed a 'match' 22. I didn't even consider building it out. I just went to Kidd and bought a rifle. The other was built later. The Kidd is competitive with Vudoo Rifles it has shot against (not a winner every outing, but top 10 against a stacked field is not a stretch). The Ruger is not. By the time you get a barrel and a trigger, you have eaten the vast majority of your budget, and you don't have a stock or a receiver or a bolt to build the rifle. And, a match rifle needs match ammunition to really shine. Everyone says "My rifle shoots CCI SV as well as X brand match ammo." Well, prove it. Post your CCI SV 6x5 in the 22lr 6x5 thread.

Inexpensive
Quality
Available
Pick 2 of the above...

Guess I'll have to get the four I've built out and shoot the 6x5 thread. :).

Then you can get a Titan stock with Titan's rear for $225.
Mark

You CAN build a lower cost rifle that is competitive with the high dollar brand names.

I would agree with the “barrel and trigger” majority for priority #1 and #2, but what has been largely ignored in these responses, and is a requisite to a very good shooting rifle, is the BEDDING. (Which is combined with free-floating of the barrel.)

A lot of guys buy a bunch of parts, bolt them together and expect precision. If you are at all handy, consider DIY bedding your receiver using an aluminum pillar and epoxy, or get someone that has done this before to help you. Two bedding points are not required if a single point is done properly. Pillar/epoxy bedding gives your system a solid, repeatable base that allows you to maximize the performance of that match grade barrel.

The rifle pictured has a “blem” laminate stock ($39.99), a stock Ruger receiver and bolt, a Kidd Match Grade bull barrel and Kidd two-stage trigger. (If you do not feel the need for an expensive “chassis” stock, you can save a bundle$$$.) The bolt has had the edges lightly smoothed with a belt sander to improve reliable function. The receiver has been bedded using a custom (self) made 5/8” diameter aluminum pillar and bedded with steel epoxy. Aluminum pillars are available online from several vendors. This rifle now wears a discontinued Athlon Helos 8-34X scope ($499) with a MIL reticle on a 20MOA base, and has a Picatinny rail bolted to the underside of the stock for quick bipod attachment.

LYbNYHJ.jpg

3fVuWte.jpg

Similar pillar/epoxy bedding on another 10/22.

MbwA8gd.jpg

Image is of 5-shot groups at 50 yards with three different lots of SK's excellent Long Range Match ammo.
(The '294', '314' and '321' numbers are abbreviated lot#'s, NOT groups sizes!)

I can’t remember exactly the total cost for the components, but certainly less than $800 (w/o scope). While not going to win any benchrest matches, this is more than adequate precision to compete with the high dollar brand name rifles in rimfire PRS/NRL22 matches.

EDIT Addition: Beware of using a thumbhole stock. When a PRS stage calls for shooting from your "support" side (if you are right eyed/handed, then you must use your left eye, shoulder trigger finger), holding an opposite contoured thumbhole rifle gets awkward.

Last edited:
Hi all,
I’m working on a 10/22 build and looking for a little advice from those who have experience with them. I’ve been doing a lot of research on which components to use and have found plenty on what is the best for each part (barrel, receiver, bolt, trigger, etc). However I’m looking to keep my build under $800 excluding glass. With the centerfire rifles I’ve put together I’ve found that it’s necessary to spend money on some parts (barrel & trigger) while other places don‘t have near as big of an impact on the accuracy (action, stock).

Can anyone give me some advice on where to spend my money?

Intended use is general target shooting and an extra gun for prairie dog shooting.
Older thread but oh well, send the barreled action to Randy at CPC best $200 you’ll ever spend. Get the full treatment(receiver, bolt, barrel and trigger job). No parts get thrown in a box and wasted the rifle runs perfectly, Randy has a complete system. Mine shoots ragged holes with CCI standard all day(10-shot group shown). I found Eley target and force shoots damn near one hole 5-shot groups at 50yrds. No cherry picking this is just shooting one after another. Gun never jams and is silky smooth. Throw a Victor titan stock on it and you’ll be happy plus within budget. https://www.ct-precision.com/ Later build another from scratch if you want to go all out but shelving a bunch of perfectly good parts that just needed tuning is not the way to go.
Cheers

Attachments

• IMG_5032.jpeg
    IMG_5032.jpeg
    446.9 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_5037.jpeg
    IMG_5037.jpeg
    484.1 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_5029.jpeg
    IMG_5029.jpeg
    466.2 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_3932.jpeg
    IMG_3932.jpeg
    494.8 KB · Views: 17
Save your money for a Kidd SG and you will be very glad you did.I put my SG in a Hogue stock and that worked out good for my needs.