• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

10/22 consistently blowing out extractors...

3-0-hate

Captain Nimcompoop
Minuteman
Jun 13, 2011
Lost in Idaho...
Im thinking I found the culprit. Its a Shilen barrel, and the bore is in 100% pristine condition. The only issue, how to fix the problem, or if its even fixable.

The extractor cutout in the barrel shank is worn/cut too deep and exposes a portion of a chambered cartridge. Im guessing that this is the issue, allowing gas to put a ton of pressure on the extractor and pop it out. This is the third extractor the gun has blown out in as many outings.

My thought is to tig the extractor cutout, and re-contour it by hand with a file. Does this sound like a reasonable solution?

Thanks!

34430641984_bf5fb45f19_k.jpg

unless the brass is rupturing......the extractor cut isnt the problem......at least not the way you think it is.

are you aligning the extractor cut to the extractor when you install the barrel?.....making sure the extractor isnt hitting the cutout?

Yes, the extractor cut was aligned correctly. The brass isnt rupturing, and this has happened on 3 extractors in 2 different bolts. Its the only cause I could think of.

is there a burr on the leading edge of the extractor cutout?.....if there is that could be getting caught on the extractor causing the issue

No, no bur of any significance.

The reason why I believe its blow-by causing the issue is because the bolt becomes very fouled with carbon in just a very few amount of shots. It literally goes from very clean to extremely dirty in just a couple of magazines. Way dirtier than my other 10/22 in double the amount of ammo.

But that doesnt make a whole lot of sense either, since the extractor cutout is on the ejection port side. Im befuddled.

what ammo are you shooting?

If you have the original barrel, or any other 10/22 barrel, I think I would install it and see if the same thing happens. If it does it again, I would guess that the extractor cut is not the problem. And if it does not do a repeat performance, it would indicate that something (possibly the extractor cut) is wrong with the Shilen barrel.

Good luck,
Richard

looks like its getting a new barrel. I have just decided its not worth the hassle. Its unfortunate too, because this barrel is a monster tack driver.

I'd put money on the gap in the extractor recess. That gap that is exposing the cartridge is only an indication of a bigger problem. I would bet the chamber is also too loose and so gases are prone to escape and since the gap is the path of least resistance, that is where they blow out, thus forcing the extractor out. You're right to replace the barrel. Go with a Green Mountain. Just my personal experience - but I have yet to have a single issue with GM barrels for the 10/22 and all have been consistent sub-MOA shooters. The price is excellent as well.

Thats about what I am going to do. On one of my other 10/22's I have a shooters ridge barrel and it has been awesome as well. It was a cheapie bargain barrel and it has been better than this shilen. Go figure.