• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

10/22 Help

BC83

Golden Shellback
Minuteman
Jul 11, 2014
Southern Idaho
Hello Hide Memebers..

I know there is probably a ton of info on the the Ruger 10/22 on here, but i was hoping that you guys could give me the quick and dirty..I don't want to make the same mistakes i have with my AR's by buying the most expensive parts that do about the same as the other brand that's about 30% cheaper.

Im starting a 10/22 project with my daughter, and would love to know what parts i should buy so far i've been looking at Kidd for
everything. could you please give me your recommendations for the following parts...Thanks

Barrel:

Bolt:

Trigger:

Stock:

Barrel: There are more expensive options but I went with a KSA barrel (I think you can find them on ebay)

Bolt: Went with the factory Ruger bolt, didn't see a need to upgrade this (but put a Kidd charging handle on there)

Trigger: Went big on this one and got a Volquartsen and it was totally worth it.

Stock: I wanted to go fancy with this and comfortable so I bought a Eliminator Stock from Stocky's

You will never go wrong with KIDD products...there are other vendors out there, but I"ll say KIDD is worth every penny. I don't buy any other aftermarket parts for my 10/22.

Of coarse I'll be the odd man out as always. I recently purchased a 10-22 Varmint or Target, heavy barrel anyway, replaced the laminated stock with a new Victor Titan 10-22 stock, and the trigger with a Kidd, even splashed for the extended mag release.

Neither product improved the accuracy of the gun? I was truly amazed at the trigger that came with the gun, but the stock was so soft, I figured just from 1 years worth of normal use it would end up looking like I drug it down some railroad tracks.

Barrel: I recently put a Kidd on my 10/22, and went from shooting patterns to shooting groups.

Stock: Older thumbhole, laminated Fajen.

Trigger: That's next on the shopping list. It will be either a Volquartsen or a Kidd.

If you just want to keep it simple buy everything from Kidd as a complete rifle.

Barrel: Kidd or Volquartsen for mounting with Barrel retainer. Volquartsen has an option to get the barrel threaded to the receiver. (the only way to get this from Kidd today is to buy his complete Supergrade Rifle)

Bolt: Volquartsen Barreled action comes with their bolt, otherwise get the Kidd.

Trigger: Kidd has the best trigger for a 10/22 hands down but its expensive and 2 stage (this is the one I use), they also sell a single stage trigger for less money, its good too but its not as good as the 2 stage.

Stock: lots of options here... Boyds' TactiCool $99, Bell and Carlson about $230, the new Victor Titan 10-22 stock $169, McMillian which is great but really expensive, Stockys.... Just stay away from Houge (plastic flimsy stock)

You didn't ask about a receiver so I am not sure if you already have a 10/22 and you are upgrading it or if you are starting from scratch. If you need the receiver too get a Kidd unless you want the barrel threaded to the receiver then go with Volquartsen as listed above.

Another wild card for you to ponder is Kidds rear tang. For me this is the part that makes a 10/22 really shoot well as it gives you 2 mounting points for stock to receiver. A rear tang and a bedded receiver works well.

Buying all KIDD as complete rifle will set you back a lot... but it will be very nice.

Have Brimstone do a stage 3 trigger job ($35). Have Que do your bolt ($35) and set back, rechamber, and recrown your factory barrel ($80ish). Do the auto bolt release mod yourself, pillar bed your self, and bed the action yourself. Add optics, extra mags, maybe a different mag release (I like the lever style from stegguns29 on ebay)

Hello Hide Memebers..

I know there is probably a ton of info on the the Ruger 10/22 on here, but i was hoping that you guys could give me the quick and dirty..I don't want to make the same mistakes i have with my AR's by buying the most expensive parts that do about the same as the other brand that's about 30% cheaper.

Im starting a 10/22 project with my daughter, and would love to know what parts i should buy so far i've been looking at Kidd for
everything. could you please give me your recommendations for the following parts...Thanks

Barrel:

Bolt:

Trigger:

Stock:

Would help if we knew your budget. The Kidd 2 stage trigger is really nice if you like 2 stage triggers, or if you like single stage, the kidd upgrade kit is a lot cheaper. It really depends on how much you want to spend. You can find used complete Kidd rifles on here from time to time and save a little.
I have an all Kidd rifle and it shoots lights out. Just put the new Titan stock on it, not sure if its going to improve the groups. In the process of looking for a different scope for it so it will be a little bit before I can test it out.

Oh, and of course this all depends on what you want to do.

I'll recommend heading to rimfirecentral.com and checking out the "ultimates" sub-forum and the "super stock" sub-forum. Two nice extremes and the only thing in common is accuracy and the person who built it wanted it that way.

Would help if we knew your budget. The Kidd 2 stage trigger is really nice if you like 2 stage triggers, or if you like single stage, the kidd upgrade kit is a lot cheaper. It really depends on how much you want to spend. You can find used complete Kidd rifles on here from time to time and save a little.
I have an all Kidd rifle and it shoots lights out. Just put the new Titan stock on it, not sure if its going to improve the groups. In the process of looking for a different scope for it so it will be a little bit before I can test it out.

I figured out that i have $800-$1000 to play with not counting glass. I already have a little vortex waiting for it..

I also have a all original (1946) Remington 512 Sportsmaster that my Grandmother bought when she was 15..It has the 25" barrel on it that seems to be a bit heavy for my daughter so i'm thinking of cutting the barrel down to 18 or 20..should I????

were's RICO
calling RICO chime in RICO

OP i like any thing KIDD
i have seen alot of 10/22 projects, an IMO kidd the way to go
by the way have you heard from RICO

Buy a ruger 10/22 keep the receiver buy a BEYER barrel light and very accurate a hogue stock 300 total upgrade your home free later buy a VOLQUARTSEN trigger after your son or daughter learns to shoot the rifle

AMF

were's RICO
calling RICO chime in RICO

OP i like any thing KIDD
i have seen alot of 10/22 projects, an IMO kidd the way to go
by the way have you heard from RICO
Rico is trying to pay the dang bills bro!! LOL!

Barrel - KIDD, that's it, turn the lights off on the way out
Bolt - Factory polished or send to the aforementioned Que - he is a master
Trigger - I'm not a fan of a 2-stage on a 10/22 - Volquartsen makes a kit that makes a fantastic single-stage pull without swapping the entire receiver
Stock - anything BUT a Hogue OM (my opinion) due to the massive amount of flex in the handgrip - I used a Boyd's Tacticool - check with Capt Kirk about pillars (if necessary)

You didn't ask this, but; do NOT bed your stock right away, shoot it first. I often wonder how many people ruined an accurate rifle by bedding before they determined if they needed to. Bedding a 10/22 is not some magical solution for every ill. Also, some 10/22(s) like a barrel support somewhere near the end of the stock. Slide a piece of rubber band in between the barrel and stock and tune it by sliding it back a little bit at a time.

Last edited:
Rico is trying to pay the dang bills bro!! LOL!

Barrel - KIDD, that's it, turn the lights off on the way out
Bolt - Factory polished or send to the aforementioned Que - he is a master
Trigger - I'm not a fan of a 2-stage on a 10/22 - Volquartsen makes a kit that makes a fantastic single-stage pull without swapping the entire receiver
Stock - anything BUT a Hogue OM (my opinion) due to the massive amount of flex in the handgrip - I used a Boyd's Tacticool - check with Capt Kirk about pillars (if necessary)

You didn't ask this, but; do NOT bed your stock right away, shoot it first. I often wonder how many people ruined an accurate rifle by bedding before they determined if they needed to. Bedding a 10/22 is not some magical solution for every ill. Also, some 10/22(s) like a barrel support somewhere near the end of the stock. Slide a piece of rubber band in between the barrel and stock and tune it by sliding it back a little bit at a time.

i hear you Rico , we all trying To make the payments
i am not what you call a 10/22 Guro,
i know you an a few other here have messed with them more than i,
the op just needs to weed through all the info, then do!!I
i for one have had / an shot few kidd barreled 10/22, an damm they shot
YO