• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

10 FP shoots faster than an SPS Varmint?

mikeg1005

Private
Minuteman
Jan 25, 2010
Alright... so heres the thing... my Savage 10FP shoots almost 100fps faster than my friends remington 700 SPS Varmint.

Heres the info.

My rifle-
Savage 10FP 308WIN 1 in 10" twist rate
Choate Tactical Stock, aluminum block bedded/free floating
Falcon Menace 14-4x44FFP scope
Shooting off a bipod

Friends rifle-
Remington 700 SPS Varmint 1 in 12" twist rate
B&C Tactical Medalist A2 stock, block bedded/free floating
Falcon Menace 5.5-25x50FFP scope
shooting off a bipod

Ammo - Reloads
168gr SMK
45gr. IMR-4064
2.800" OAL
CCI LRP

Chronograph - Chrony Beta Master

Weather
65*
75% humidity
1000 feet elevation

My gun consistantly shoots almost 100fps faster w/ the 168gr SMK and almost 200fps with 110gr V-Max bullets(3400fps vs. 3150fps)... the ammo used in both guns are home reloads and are exactly the same... I chrono the 168gr SMK load at approx 2825-2840fs where as he was getting gets 2750-2770fps.

Barrel length lands to muzzle is 24" for both guns.

Could the twist rate be the reason? I would imagine a slower twist rate would produce a faster bullet since there is less drag due to the rate. Could it be chamber pressures also?

Any info would be great.

Accuracy out of both guns is the same... sub 0.5MOA at 100yds and about the same at 600yds(max range length)

Thanks,

MIke.

Re: 10 FP shoots faster than an SPS Varmint?

You're not taking number of grooves in to account but my guess would be it has to do with Lead. You're probably closer to the lands and building a bit more pressure. But it's just a guess.

variations in how the chamber is cut and difference in bore size between the two guns will account for the velocity difference.

Top speeds will be equal,though charges will be different.

Hardly unusual.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FreshKills</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Top speeds will be equal,though charges will be different.

Hardly unusual. </div></div>

I'm confused by your post... you mean load the SPS ammo hotter?

Mike.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FreshKills</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Of course. </div></div>

Gotcha.. that was the initial plan when we saw the readings. Going to do that for next trip, just trying to see if there was a basis for why it was slower.

MIke.

Different bores and different chambers,as mentioned prior.

Hodgdon website says 45.9gr is considered a "max" compressed load.

No pressure issues in either rifle.

MIke.

"Commercial max" is a new one on me.

That's pretty catchy.

WOW, that savage beats the remington handsdown. I'll take the one that shoots faster anyday.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: haldir</div><div class="ubbcode-body">WOW, that savage beats the remington handsdown. I'll take the one that shoots faster anyday. </div></div>
I'll take the one that shoots the most accurately, anyday. be it fast or slow.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coldboremiracle</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: haldir</div><div class="ubbcode-body">WOW, that savage beats the remington handsdown. I'll take the one that shoots faster anyday. </div></div>
I'll take the one that shoots the most accurately, anyday. be it fast or slow. </div></div>

Accuracy being equal as in this case the fastest is best.

With my factory Savage .308 tube, you can jam 175 SMKs way the hell into the lands with rounds at a COAL that still fits nicely into the magazine...

I understand the Rem factory chamberings tend to have a lot of freebore...

Could account for the big pressure/velocity difference with the same ammo...

...like others mentioned, that doesn't tell you much about the potential max velocity if you work up loads for each.

Both using the same chronograph, or each using your own?

I've noticed this as well when comparing my Savage 10FCP in .308 to my friends Rem 700 SPS. Both factory loads and hand loads from the same lot were cooking much faster out of the Savage.
We were shooting on the same chrono, same day, same weather, etc. After speaking with a few, the best theory we've had was the differences in chambers/headspacing on the two rifles, but we've yet to measure spacing on either.