• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors 10 weeks for ATF to cash check??

JCH

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 10, 2008
Oklahoma City, OK
I finished my Form 4 and sent in a Certified Bank check to the ATF for a SWR Omega 10 weeks ago. After 9 weeks of my check not cashing I called the ATF and wasn't given an explanation. So I called my dealer who was very concerned and very helpful and started calling them himself to find out what was going on. Today he received an Voicemail saying that they had my forms and the check should be cashed and the Form 4 should go pending any day now.

Does anyone have any idea why this would take 10 weeks? And what is the standard wait time after going pending?

This is my first suppressor so I am new to the whole thing.

Re: 10 weeks for ATF to cash check??

You are just going to be to be patient, they are absolutly slammed with forms right now. and it is not uncommon for your check to cash and you recieve your forms within short order.

I know its hard to wait and be patient, it also depends on the exiamner, i just finished up 2 stamps, i got them with days of each other however one form was mailed in aprox a month eariler and it was the 2nd one i receieved back.

I'm not too sure about that, I sent a check in around May, and they cashed it on June 16th. I forget the exact date, but it was when I got home, so I think my cashed my check in about 2 weeks.

I was told 2 weeks is the norm. I am afriad I waited eight weeks for nothing while the ATF didn't know where my paperwork was at.

Wow my last form4 was mailed Friday 6-26-09 and was cashed Tuesday 6-30-09.

Mine took no more than 2 weeks!!

Customers tell me their checks usually cash in about 2 weeks. Total approval times have jumped from 10 weeks to around 5 months lately.

Darin Reiss
FFL/SOT in Haysville, KS

I had 2 checks cashed within 5 days of mailing them off, but those were both last year. One I got back in November, and one I send off in december.

I sent mine on June 1st and it was cashed on June 3rd..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: flounderv2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I sent mine on June 1st and it was cashed on June 3rd.. </div></div>

exactly the same for me !

Same here. They cashed the check in a day or two of sending it. I can write a check at the grocery store down the street and it won't clear as fast as the one I mailed to ATF...

Mine have always cashed in a week or two.

I have some good news on wait times. I have a Form 4 that the check was cashed April 22nd and was approved June 25th. That is about 4 weeks faster than the Form 4 I did in January. I sent another Form 4 in at the same time and it was approved on July 6th. I may have just gotten lucky, but hopefully it is a trend to slightly fast turn around times. FYI, I do my transfers through an S class Corp.

It seems like it keeps getting slower. I'm nearly 3 months out on a transfer and it just got approved.

After reading these responses, I'm unsure if it's the type of transfer that merits the additional time frame?
the parties in question?
or the examiners?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SNIPERS4DUMMIES</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It seems like it keeps getting slower. I'm nearly 3 months out on a transfer and it just got approved.

After reading these responses, I'm unsure if it's the type of transfer that merits the additional time frame?
the parties in question?
or the examiners?</div></div>

I know it isn't the parties in question on my end. I have no black spots on my record and had a background check recently done by the state of Oklahoma for my concealed weapon license. I think it got put into a stack of papers on someone's desk and forgot about until calls started coming in about it.

Different NFA examiners have developed reputations for being quick or slow.

Darin

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DarinR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Different NFA examiners have developed reputations for being quick or slow.

Darin </div></div>

This, with Shipman being one of the slowest.

y'all know there is a database we are building with such info, right?

Hopefully we'll have more examiner names:

http://www.nfatracker.com/default.aspx

Just mailed another form 4 today.... hoping for the best.
Just bought this:
ss_actual.jpg

You can go to silencertalk.com. Then go to the silencertalk subforum, look for ATF continued..... it will give you an idea of what the wait is. I sent my paperwork on 4/7/09 and they cashed on 4/10/09.
I believe someone said they are working overtime on the weekends now to keep up. I don't know if this is true, so don't hold me to it. Eddie

Last year, my checks were cashed within a week of mailing. This year, it has been about a month each.

Yep i agree. SBR a gun last year. Cashed within a week. This isnt the first I have heard about them waiting so long this year.

14 weeks from the forms hitting the ATF doorstep until my form 4 came back. I picked up the can yesterday from my dealer.

I sent a Postal MO so I have no idea when the check cleared.

Since the Atlanta address is a 'lockbox' checks get cashed right away.

On my latest form4, they arrived on Friday 7/10 at noon (according to the post office) and the check was cashed the same day (According to my credit union).

Same as my last form 4.

Are y'all that are seeing delays not sending the forms to the Atlanta address?

I think they have them spent 3 years in advance. Thats why they cash them so quick.

Update for me..
Forms sent June 1
Check cashed June 3
Pending July 10.