• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

1000+ yards steel target question ??

jasonk

Very Snipery
Minuteman
Feb 23, 2007
Vancouver, Washington
Say I want to have a piece of AR500 cut for me that will only be used at 1k and further. Size will be 24"x24" (in reality I want to use this to try and shoot 1 mile plus, I know it will be overkill in size for 1,000, so figure on 1,500 yards + more than likely.

Will 1/4" AR500 hold up to a 338LM at that distance or do I ned to go up to 3/8"?

Obviously 1/4" will be easier to lug around due to the size/weight and it will likely react a little more at that distance, so those are the positives. I'd think that at 1,500 yards the 338LM will be slowed down enough to not do too much damage to a 1/4" plate.

What says the 1k masters here?

Thanks,
J

Re: 1000+ yards steel target question ??

Personally I would get the 1/2". I went to a 1000yd range 2wks ago and hit a (what I was told) 8"diameter 1/2"thick AR500 steel target and my 338 Lapua spun it like a spinner (it wasn't a spinning target). That was using 285gr bullets (Hornady). At 1000yds (my ballistic computer) said it was still doing about 1653 FPS and 1728 ft-lb of energy.

I am personally thinking it would do some damage to a 1/4" at 1000yd. But maybe someone else will chime in.

We hung a 3/16" of T1 plate steel (softer then AR400) at a mile. It's 25 x 39, and can be easily seen with the naked eye when painted white. We've shot 300WM with the new 230-gr Berger tactical as well as 210-Amax bullets as close as 1500-meters or 1640-yards, and they don't even make a dimple at that distance, so I'm going to assume that the 338LM will be no different at those distances.

We shot a 3/8" AR500 plate at 200-yards with a 50-BMG, and all it did was bow the plate ever so slightly, it was sitting in the sand leaning up against a 4x4 post. So I'd say you would be good to go from 1000-yards and beyond with 1/4" AR500.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: whit</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Personally I would get the 1/2". I went to a 1000yd range 2wks ago and hit a (what I was told) 8"diameter 1/2"thick AR500 steel target and my 338 Lapua spun it like a spinner (it wasn't a spinning target). That was using 285gr bullets (Hornady). At 1000yds (my ballistic computer) said it was still doing about 1653 FPS and 1728 ft-lb of energy.

I am personally thinking it would do some damage to a 1/4" at 1000yd. But maybe someone else will chime in.</div></div>

A 24x24 plate is roughly 11X the area of that 8" circle if my math is right. So if that plate weighed about 9# which it should have then mine will be 100#. Not worried about spinning it, but I am worried about punching holes.

Thanks for the responses so far.... J

I've shot my 3/8" AR 500 with 338LM and 408CT at 1130 yds. and only knocked the paint off. No dings . JC steel targets I think. Hide member in WA.

Hi J. I shoot at 3/8" AR 500 steel all the time and even at 700yds there is not even an imprint, only paint splattered away. I would assume .25" at ranges exceeding 1k yds would be just fine.

This past weekend I did shoot 1800 yds at .25" AR 500 without even the slightest problem. Didn't shoot that particular steel closer than 1 mile, but at 1800 it didn't even dent it.

All the above is of course .338LM -- 300gr @ 2870fps

I have shot my 8" square 3/8" thick AR500 target at 300 yards before with my 338LM (250gr SMK) just to see what it would do and it did nothing to the target but knock the paint off. My target was hanging by chains from a homemade target stand and although the target wasn't damaged the impact spun the target around and broke the chain.

Jason: I don't shoot a .338, but I made my target from 3/8" AR400. Its roughly 36" x 16" and weighs 55 lbs. Should take a 338 pounding at 1K no problem.

P1010462.jpg

my targets are 3/8 AR350 and past 250 308 doesnt do a damn thing to it but scratch the paint. weve shot 7 mag and 25/06 at 500 and same thing nothing done to it. now shooting it at 100 with 223 puts a hurting on it doesnt punch thru but it leaves some nasty craters on it

Alright, I'm going to try and get 1/4" then, will report back in about a month. Maybe sooner after I try to punch through it at 100 yards lol

1/4" or 3/8" will hold up absolutely fine at those distances. I would choose the thickness based on the impact sound signature I wanted, 3/8"...

shooting002.jpg

From this morning. I use this piece of 500 that is 3/8" thick and 20X30". This was a .260 with 130gr VLD's at 625 meters. Not even a small dent.

IBII020.jpg

Same plate a little over a mile with 3 different .338LM's, no damage.

1260M001.jpg

Same target...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alpine 338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We shot a 3/8" AR500 plate at 200-yards with a 50-BMG, and all it did was bow the plate ever so slightly, it was sitting in the sand leaning up against a 4x4 post. So I'd say you would be good to go from 1000-yards and beyond with 1/4" AR500. </div></div>

Holy crap, I figured the 50 would turn it into a taco shape at that distance.

I also figured the 408 would dimple it, seeing how they are solid bullets.

I was hoping someone would chime in and correct me if I was wrong. I bought a 1/2" thick, because I like to over do everything. Thanks for correcting me so I can learn more also. AR500 is a lot harder then I thought.

Jasonk, I bought several 12 by 24 -3/8" ar500 rectangles from JCVibby and tack welded them together. We pounded them at 800, 900, 1000 and one mile. The only damage so far is one of the tack welds broke on the 800 target when hit several times with a 408CT.
65c7231c.jpg

They made great targets when suspended by one corner by fire hose. You could visibly see any hits that were slightly off center by watching he plate move.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: whit</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Holy crap, I figured the 50 would turn it into a taco shape at that distance.

I also figured the 408 would dimple it, seeing how they are solid bullets.

</div></div>

There are a lot of factors that influence how the steel reacts. This particular steel at 200-yards was slightly tilted around 5-10 deg because it was leaning against the post. A few weeks ago, my buddy was sighting in his new 50-BMG, and I told him it would be Ok to shoot at our full-size IPSC target at 400-yards. It was 1/2" AR500, and it put 1/4" deep dimples in it when he shot it. It was hanging plumb and attached to two T-posts via a braket I made. It also broke one of the welds on the braket where it attaches to the T-post. I didn't expect the dimples to happen due to my experience shooting that 3/8" AR500 plate at 200-yards. As far as the weld breaking, there's alot of KE in the 50-BMG, plus I'm quite a bit rusty when it comes to welding, and it my first time welding galvanized steel. I'm now guessing that the mass of the bigger/thicker target that was firmly mounted caused the target to not move, thus causing the dimples?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alpine 338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We shot a 3/8" AR500 plate at 200-yards with a 50-BMG, and all it did was bow the plate ever so slightly, it was sitting in the sand leaning up against a 4x4 post. So I'd say you would be good to go from 1000-yards and beyond with 1/4" AR500.</div></div>

We used what I think were 3/8" in the army. They'd hold up to pretty well all but those .50 Raufoss rounds. Looked like a plasma cutter burned a hole through it. M855 and the 7.62 AP loads just make a little splash on the surface, not even a dent really. You can see it knock the dust off pretty good at distance, and you'll get a good "Thwack!" at 1000m no problem.

On the other hand, those plates COULD have been 1/2". They were damn heavy.

Bottom line, if you get 'em a little thicker they will work.

Good to hear how this stuff react with the 50, was going to order some and this helps with decisions.

Jason, as far as strength is concerned, at 1000 yards or more you will be fine with 1/4" AR500. It should perform great for you.

And it will be 33% lighter overall.

A 3/8" AR500 24 inch square weights right about 66 pounds.

So here's what I've come up with!!

Have a buddy that works in steel fab, BIG stuff steel fab, not really into cutting small plates. I emailed him and he had a piece of 1/4" AR400 that I could have so he cut it 30"x30" for me and put some holes in the corners.

Based of my reading the 1/4" AR400 should be just fine for what I want to use this huge piece of steel for, basically 1500+.

I appreciate everyone's time and input, it really helped me figure out what I needed and wanted.

Now a new question...........................................

Let's assume a 20x scope, how fine a line will I be able to see at a mile on the target? I was thinking something like an 18" white square in the middle, 6" bright orange square around it. Trying to define a finer aiming point then a white 30" square.

Any other ideas?

2vs1505.jpg

just leave it all white and center it up using reticle.

That is what we do on the long ones... easy to see !

100_17133.JPG

Some of the closer ones, I spray red first, put red can down on the steel and then spray white around it. Leaves ya a nice red circle.

Icebreaker017.jpg

I completely agree with SM. I have tried using white and other colors that contrast well but at distances over 1000 white seems to work the best in my experience. I have tried orange and you can see it just fine but it's pretty tough to spot a splash in the paint that far out. Also I just quarter the target with the reticle as well.

I currently have 2 ar500 1/3 torso targets that I have fired at least 2000 rounds on from 100 to 1100yds. They are 3/8 thick. I have shot 22lr, 243, 308, 7wsm, 300wm, 300rum, 338LM, 375 h&h and the only thing that made a dimple at any distance was one single round I fired from a 223 with fmj at 300yds. I will not fire any more fmj's. I do knock them over every now and then. My target sit with the top angled toward me about 5 to 10* so the bullets deflect down into the dirt and there is no chance for the bullet to come back at me. I just purchased a drop sheet of ar500 3/8 thick that is roughly 5'x6'. I plan on mounting it on 2 poles so that I keep that same angle from top to bottom. My 3/8 plates make a very nice "ding" and my buddies 1/2" plates make a "dong". I do like the sound of the 3/8 more than the dull dong of the 1/2". I figured the much larger plates will save me ammo at the really long distances to be able to find my first shot and then adjust. My shooting past 1000yds has been very limited but I will now be working out to around 1400 to 1500, I think this is about my max range with overhanging pine limbs

IMAG0275.jpg

346935510_photobucket_1038_.jpg

I use a 3" at 966 yds its about perfect p4f or msr center will almost cover it ,it will kinda halo around center crosshair. I used/use this 36" piece to learn on,do load development etc. Id say 6" orng at 1760 would be about right maby 7. Use the chalk paint it contrast wht better. And the radiator will save you from cheetos fingers

I used to block the edges with the reticle like sendero said but i found my groups got much smaller when i actually had a pinpoint to aim at

I too use white paint. Kilz is my favorite because it has more pigment. I use small orange circles on a templet for aim points. 1" to 2.5"