• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

1000 yrd Walmart air rifle

CJS-6.5

Full auto flintlock user.
Banned !
Minuteman
Sep 15, 2017
So I bought my 27th cheap air rifle because my last one missed a gopher at -2 yards so I used it to try to beat the gopher to death before he got to me. It is some sort of gee whiz wonderful .22 air gun that is supposed to cook along at 1200 fps. So my plan is for repeatable 1000 yard shots with this thing.

First testing is going good. During zero hour after the 4th shot the scope reticle evaporated due to the over-photosynthesis of the tree I was shooting at.Now to mount a non-evaporating scope...

New scope mounted and several birds have chosen death over life.

Now to really stretch out the rifle's legs...

100 yard shots are within i foot moa...

So I should be able to hit a 12 foot diameter target at 1000 yards.

Now I need to find a strong enough backdrop...

Its a Beeman .22 I chronoed it at 652 so apparently false advertising is good.

hqdefault.jpg

Ha, that .028 BC tends to drop and drift quite a bit. Point it at a 45 degree angle and you might get 300 yards.

The manufacturers take the lightest pellet they can find and still trump up the velocity numbers.

Cheap air rifle, that's most people's first mistake. Most sub $200 AG's are junk. Spend about $500 on a Benjamin Marauder PCP air rifle and you've come into a different realm. 1" groups at 50Y are very doable with good match grade heavy pellets. 100Y shots on a 3" steel in light winds aren't that hard. Recently a friend was hitting a 5" steel at 191Y regularly with his 25 cal FX Royale 500 PCP.

Take it a step further. There is a video on youtube of a guy shooting pop cans at 400Y with his Airforce Condor converted to a custom 257 shooting cast bullets about 1050 fps.

Last weekend I saw $4000 air rifles with $1000 scopes on them. http://www.thomasrifles.com/br-rifle.html

In the rimfire forum I posted a link to our state FT match. It has pictures of many PCP air rifles.

I am peeing my pants. I started this to see how many people would even view it. As if 1000 is possible with a Walmart airgun...

Well, I was like, "WFT?" I don't go to stores much at all, don't even know what new shit they sell.

I did have an air rifle as a kid, think my dad got it on sale for $30? It was a Chinese break action --you "pump" the cylinder with the barrel. Anyway, it'd drive a .177 to 1000fps and completely decapitate small birds. Was fairly accurate too --was my best air rifle. Carried it on hunts, preferred it to a Marlin 60 .22. I killed more shit with that rifle than any other implement on Earth. Wonder where it is right now?

Reactions: Bender and Bill k
Well, I hate to be the bearer of bad news but you are going to have a hard time getting to 1000yd with that setup. It’s gonna go subsonic at around 800 unless you use the new flatline pellets.

Even then the spin spin drift is brutal for pellets. And by the time you factor in the coriolis effect you’ve got about a 1500moa shift in a 3mph wind.

I mean, I’ve done it but I’m pretty skilled, so.... good luck.

The hot ticket is a Red Ryder & 150 pieces of PVC pipe and a down hill target. The BB's roll a lot better than the pellets in the pipe. with proper form, fundamentals & close target placement you'll be grouping about the size of the ID of the chosen pipe.

You ate a lot of paint chips as a child, didn't you?

Ok... I'll accept this as awesome parody. Because there are probably gun-island salespeople at Wally World... selling air guns this way.

But if I am wrong and this is not parody... can I suggest that snorting lines of asbestos brake-dust is really a rush.

Cheers,

Sirhr

Actually it was the glue I ate in elementary school.

Easy. 1000 yrd air rifle is cake. Get in your car and drive 995yrds to target, then throw your rifle the last 5. Done.

just wait....someone is trying this right now hoping to prove you right

20170611_iphone_0235.JPG

Handmade in Tennessee RAW 1000 PCP gets 200 full power shots, 850 fps 7.5 gr .177 pellet (tuned down, not up, for accuracy). Cloverleafs at 50 yards all day long for the cost of a single round of PRS ammo. And you can shoot it in your yard without the cops visiting, very quiet and stealth.

So good it gets boring, which is why I no longer have it (and with a CF fill tank it's a $3k investment). But I kept a a 10m air pistol and a couple tuned Weihrauch springers for plinking and pests, they're fun too. But you have to start with a decent quality gun and tune it just like your "real" rifles.... Can't expect a Walmart gun to be in the same league.

It's sad this is our only airgun thread, lol.

1000Y no, but I was hitting our 136 yard, 3" steel, most of the time with my MAC1 USFT PCP FT rifle last Wednesday/low wind. That's ELR for a 19ftlb 17 cal with .030 BC at 935 fps. I was happy!

Now consider a 22rf has a .145 BC and going 1050 fps at standard velocity.

Reactions: Frankly
The hot ticket is a Red Ryder & 150 pieces of PVC pipe and a down hill target. The BB's roll a lot better than the pellets in the pipe. with proper form, fundamentals & close target placement you'll be grouping about the size of the ID of the chosen pipe.

Targets have to be made of tissue paper, don't forget the tissue paper. The method works and is what most ELR airgun enthusiasts use, but they're careful during pipe assembly so the bb doesn't encounter turbulence due to uneven pipe connections.

Good luck, and send us pictures of your setup!

That's a slick rifle above.

I swear though, my cheapo Chinese break action (may $30-40?) in the mid 80's was the best air rifle I ever had. It was fairly accurate, a helluva lot more accurate than any of the more expensive Daisy rifles my friends had. I mean, I could hunt with it, and you could hit really small targets at fair distance for an airgun. It was no tackdriver by any means, but for the cost?

We used some break action air rifle, I forget the mfg., it wasn't really nice but not Chinese either, in SDM school for the students to use before and after class or whenever they wanted to practice fundamentals and positions without needing a range or ammo. They'd group pretty well at the range we used 'em at (25y maybe? Maybe a little less?).

$3000 for an air rifle... $700 including stamp and you can be shooting a suppressed .22! Air rifles are a lot of fun and cheaper, it'd just take one helluva lot of shooting to break even on that one though!

That's a slick rifle above.

...it'd just take one helluva lot of shooting to break even on that one though!

If we were worried about breaking even we would have gotten out of the shooting sport a long time ago! ha.

My baby is an Anschutz 8002 S2 Black Air Hunter that was taken out of the stock and bedded into a Kelblys KTS Stock (same stock as my match rifle) so I can practice in my basement. I have 10 yards in my basement and it is a ton of fun. If only I could get motivated to shoot more often. Ha. The single feeding does get super annoying tho.

DT

Attachments

• VERT W CHUCK.JPG
    VERT W CHUCK.JPG
    785.1 KB · Views: 86
  • TARGET.JPG
    TARGET.JPG
    700 KB · Views: 74
Saw air rifle and had to check it out. Had one of those Chinese break barrels when I was a kid, killed a truck load of pigeons at my grandpa's dairy.

First step into pcp was a marauder .25. Moved on to a wicked air rifles warp in .177. Love all the extra shots but still like to hear the 25 thump birds. Busted 70 starlings in an hour and half when the snow was on at the local farmers. Only thing in indiana you can shoot that much at other than steel!
IMG_2823.JPG

Ok guys. I was drunk when I started this thread and only remembered it now. I actually spent days pissed off at my airguns because they were so inconsistent. Now I realize that there is s solution....don't buy airguns. The end.

He made my guns tougher than me...damn!

Ok guys. I was drunk when I started this thread and only remembered it now. I actually spent days pissed off at my airguns because they were so inconsistent. Now I realize that there is s solution....don't buy airguns. The end.

Or you are missing out on a great way to shoot.

The real lesson here is don't buy crappy stuff, expect it to do things it isn't capable of doing, and lastly don't post when drunk, lol.

I won my division last weekend at our state Field Target air rifle match, it was a fun time! As good weather as it gets at this beautiful location.

Match report with lots of pics of cool air rifles.

https://www.airgunnersofarizona.org/2018-arizona-state-field-target-championships.html

Good thread, made me laf.. PCP guns are really fun. I had am FX Royale .25 for a few years. Damn accurate, powerful and quiet. Took lots of small game with that bad boy. Kinda want another one, but ouch $$$

I made a 1000 yard airgun out of a old 30 gallon air compressor a 4 foot long chunk of 2 inch pipe and a 2 inch quarter turn ball valve. Air the tank to 180 psi, drop a golf ball in on top of some wadding and crack the valve. Bye bye golf ball.

Reactions: Stpilot12
Funny one Steve... on the airgun forums we joke about this guy, he lobbed 50 shots to ping the steel once at 1250. Everyone thinks he’s a clown. But jokes aside they’re are Airguns that are very capable of reaching 1000 yards with the right equipment/ build. And even getting consistent hits, These are not off the shelf rifles one , and two cost just as much as precision firearms. I’m gonna link my thread and edumacate some folks today ya heard’ haha

I remember you, you had the most expensive Savage anybody has ever had, lol. Those AZ guys in Phoenix were really thrashing you back then. Somewhat deserved, although I don't like being that hard on people.

Anyway, I'm all for 2nd chances, few of us made all the best choices when we were young and stupid. I screwed up plenty. After all, my Dad referred to me as his good for nothing son. I've halfway proved him wrong.

I got banned from what used to be the Yellow forum for mentioning Athlon scopes. They wouldn't return emails so I haven't gone there since but a few times to look for airguns for sale. That really pissed me off, the political bias with brands and brand association, I do not like that whole thing.

So I haven't been keeping up on what's new in the airgun world.

I bought a FX Impact in 25 cal a couple years ago, I'm usimg the 33 JSB's at 850 fps. Plinking around in the afternoons we were hitting a 8" wide man shaped steel at 156Y without fuss in the wind. My friend shot a group at 100Y with his 25 cal Redwolf that was about .7" tall and just over an inch wide, all one splat for 10 shots. I'm not sure I can do that well with my Anschutz 22rf.

I had a 9mm Career PCP once but I didn't like how much of a airhog it was. I decided I'd just use a firearm. Although if I owned my own compressor I might feel differently about those big PCP slug guns.

The AOA PAD van was up here with Kip's 45 cal PCP. Those 400 grain cast bullets had a decent amount of thwack! The second shot hit 3" lower at 50Y.

In my garage is somewhere around 1500 pounds of lead, and the casting equipment as well, but I haven't tried casting yet. Maybe this winter.

Last edited:
Reactions: Stpilot12
I apologize for starting this thread. I actually meant it to be serious. Obviously people like their comfort zones. Why not an air rifle that can shoot 1000 yards?

That FX impact is a hell of a gun, the new slug smooth twist X barrel liners for it are a game changer. I would’ve went the impact route but I always had intentions of setting up for long range, a .257 is what I’m working on now, eventually I’ll be running a .457 as well.

I bought a WAR Flex 30 cal, and one day when I have time Im planning on getting the 25cal slug barrel and casing my own 100gr spitters for 200yd+ shooting.

This is one of the coolest things I’ve gotten in a while The unfortunately now discontinued MAR177 by crossman it is a PCP match rifle with a lot hat Walter barrel that mates up to a mil spec AR lower
Now I know that target is not very impressive but that was my very first target off hand at 10 meters Shot on a rest it was just a ragged hole

Fires from a benjamin 10 round rotary clip
The AR mag pictured is both a safety and there to simulate weight of a loaded magazine

You run the charging handle to cock it
99DEF055-E13C-4CA9-B164-B00073A1F633.jpeg

You need to get that spice from the movie Dune. Several thousand years of forced evolution using the spice and you can become a navigator. Once there you can fold space and the pellet can travel to the target without really having to travel. It will revolutionize long range shooting for sure.

FX elite.....22....1/2 moa at 50 all day with good pellets ...1moa at 100 in light wind....we love to set up the toy army men at a 100.........

My air guns are not accurate yet because I haven't shot them enough. Too many real guns to play with.

What airgun would most closely replicate a centerfire rifle in a chassis? At least something with an m16 style grip so I can put an MPA EVG on it? If I could get a relatively inexpensive repeater like that, it'd be ideal. I want to shoot in my basement this winter and maybe keep it close to my match gun?

You could do what Dtros did. He had the same Kelbly's stock he uses for PRS, inletted for a Anschutz PCP barreled action. That's big money though.

On that line maybe call MPA and ask if they have any blem chassis that they'd sell cheaper and have it inletted for whatever air rifle you can find. That way you could weight it and balance that weight to closely resemble your centerfire.

Go to Pyramid Air and see what they have that use AR grips.

PCP's are way nicer to shoot than spring air rifles, especially for a repeater. Next is C02.

Reactions: earthquake
I like my air rifle. Lots of trigger time, able to shoot in city limits depending on your local ordinances and cheap ammo. Maximum effective range depends on the caliber but id say 200 is doable. 1 moa is rare but some of those benchrest airgun shooters have guns that can do half moa. The bc of .30 pellets are around .053 and when shooting slugs jump to around .078
45A31A7E-93F4-4299-A9F8-03B9FDF4DD64.jpeg

Last edited:
What airgun would most closely replicate a centerfire rifle in a chassis? At least something with an m16 style grip so I can put an MPA EVG on it? If I could get a relatively inexpensive repeater like that, it'd be ideal. I want to shoot in my basement this winter and maybe keep it close to my match gun?

Youd probably be looking at a FX impact. They run for about 1800$ and have swapable AR-15 grip(comes with a hogue grip). Here is mine.
B2F6D85A-1B21-44D1-9CD0-250A0F45F72A.jpeg

Reactions: earthquake