• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

(100YARD), Bolt-Action, 6groups, 30round SHOOTOUT!

Re: (100YARD), Bolt-Action, 6groups, 30round SHOOTOUT!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: squin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was a little slow to get up this morning so driving out to a 300 yd range was out. I will have to shoot 300 in the near future. In the meantime here is my best effort at 100 yds.

This rifle is my first custom bolt gun build and it turned out pretty good.

7mm RSAUM
Big Horn short action receiver
28" Krieger #17 HV barrel 1-9 tw
KMW Sentinel stock with IMB
Alpha Mag for loading to 2.97 OAL

nice!
Timney trigger set at 2 lbs
March FX 5-40x56 FFP scope
Thunder Beast 30P-1 suppressor

IMG_8111_zpsfcb15c6c.jpg

IMG_8112_zpsbb6d5eae.jpg

IMG_8110_zpsb6061d82.jpg
</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ctsmith</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sandwalk, nice rifle and shooting, but your "range" is absolutely gorgeous! </div></div>

Thanks ctsmith. KY in the early fall is great. Gotta share the ground w/horse crap though, which can be a problem when my elbows spread wider than my shooting mat. It's the kind of problem you find out about first from your olfactory senses, lol.

Tag until I can get some time to take my toys out for a workout!!!

I'll start with the 223, groups got a little better.

<span style="font-style: italic">The group to the very left is what happens when two targets overlap. I wish I could count it, it's actually pretty good!</span>

.810", .830", .478", .430", .628", .477" for an agg of .609"
IMG_5525_zps6872f6c4.jpg

Best group:
IMG_5526_zps74e24d65.jpg

Rifle and range:
IMG_5520_zps1585804d.jpg

Shot with Remington 700 VTR 223 @ 100yards with Harris bipod & rear bag.
Average group size: .609"
Best group size: .430"
Cartridge: 223 Rem
Rifle: Remington 700 VTR
Barrel Length/Type: 20" CrMo tri-fluted OEM barrel
Optics: Bushnell Elite 3200 Tactical 10x40 MIL/MIL
Mount/Rings: Leupold 15MOA 1pc Picatinny, Weaver Picatinny rings

Shot with reloads
Brass: 2x fired, annealed, neck-sized PSD headstamp brass
Primer: Tula SR primer
Powder: 26.5gr Hodgdon Varget
Bullet: 55gr Nosler HPBT "Varmageddon", moly coated
COAL: N/A ogive seating depth / 2.260 OAL

308 groups improved but not as much as I had hoped.

.649", .829", .811", .376", .691", .514" - agg .645"
308-target_zps18096939.jpg

Best group:
IMG_5524_zps2d6bdf77.jpg

Rifle and range:
IMG_5521_zps48bca52c.jpg

Shot with Remington 700 SPS 308 @ 100yards with Harris bipod & rear bag.
Average group size: .645"
Best group size: .376"
Cartridge: 308 Win
Rifle: Remington 700 SPS
Barrel Length/Type: 20" CrMo varmint
Optics: Leupold Mk4 3.5-10x40
Mount/Rings: Badger Ordnance 20MOA 1pc Picatinny, Leupold Mk4 rings

Shot with reloads
Brass: First firing FL sized Hornady Match 308 brass
Primer: Magtech 9 1/2 primer
Powder: 43gr Hodgdon Varget
Bullet: 178gr Hornady A-Max, moly coated
COAL: 3.280 ogive seating depth / 2.900 OAL

kick ass job ryan by improving both average and best single with BOTH of your rifles. Good work. Looks like a nice rifle range!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RyanMcIntyre</div><div class="ubbcode-body">308 groups improved but not as much as I had hoped.

.649", .829", .811", .376", .691", .514" - agg .645"

Shot with Remington 700 SPS 308 @ 100yards with Harris bipod & rear bag.
Average group size: .645"
Best group size: .376"
Cartridge: 308 Win
Rifle: Remington 700 SPS
Barrel Length/Type: 20" CrMo varmint
Optics: Leupold Mk4 3.5-10x40
Mount/Rings: Badger Ordnance 20MOA 1pc Picatinny, Leupold Mk4 rings

Shot with reloads
Brass: First firing FL sized Hornady Match 308 brass
Primer: Magtech 9 1/2 primer
Powder: 43gr Hodgdon Varget
Bullet: 178gr Hornady A-Max, moly coated
COAL: 3.280 ogive seating depth / 2.900 OAL </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: elfster1234</div><div class="ubbcode-body">kick ass job ryan by improving both average and best single with BOTH of your rifles. Good work. Looks like a nice rifle range!</div></div>

Thank you elfster! I'm having fun and this is a great reason to keep testing new loads for both rifles.
cool.gif

Alright I finaly did it. . It was 65* with 10mph cross winds.
Off a bench with bipod and rear bag. The barrel was getting hot and the groups were opening up a bit, plus it was getting dark. My last group was shot after the sun was gone.

Rifle
Stiller TAC30
Bartlien 19" Barrel Chambered in 260
Ross Brake
Jewell Trigger
Manners T5A Stock with PT&G Bottom Metal
Stiller 20MOA Base
TPS Rings
Nightforce 8-32 BR NP-R2
Bipod and rear bag

Using Reloads
RP 7-08 Brass 2 fired
43.5gn H4350
Fed GM Primer
Honady 140gn BTHP
On Lands

Shot this Thursday 10-18

.473" average
.338" best group

target260short.jpg

target260shortclose.jpg

DSC_0171.JPG

nice work rugerslinger... cool looking rifle and nice groups!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RugerSlinger</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Alright I finaly did it. This was with my 19" 260; Stiller Tac 30 Action, Jewell Trigger, Bartlien Barrel, Manners T5A Stock, PT&G Bottom Metal, NF 8-32 BR Scope NP-R2, TPMS Rings. Shooting RP 7-08 Brass, Hornady 140gn BTHP over 43.5gn H4350, lit by a Federal GM Primer. It was 65* with 10mph cross winds.
Off a bench with bipod and rear bag. The barrel was getting hot and the groups were opening up a bit, plus it was getting dark. My last group was shot after the sun was gone.

Shot this Thursday 10-18

.473" average
.338" best group </div></div>

I've got a serious back injury at the moment (awaiting being amitted into a revalidation clinic. So lying down is a bit "uncomfortable" for me but I wanted to have a spot in the standings so i did my best.

Shot with my 25" Roedale RT 43 @ 110yards (100 meters) with Roedale bipod / rear sand bag prone.
308W Cartridge
Average was .730"
Best group was .432"
Optics = mil/mil 3x24x42 March Tactical FFP
Mount = Third Eye Tactical Rings with 20 MOA rail

Shot with reloads
3x fired Lapua cases
Federal 210
39 grain N140
155 scenar
about 2.86 coal

.988" + 1.165" + .432" + .844" + .517" + .437" = 4.383 / 6 = .7305 average over 6 groupings @ 5shots each / 30 total bullets:

GroteFoto-FIOIGYSM.jpg

GroteFoto-DGC6MQIW.jpg

GroteFoto-UY7OC7FC.jpg

Hope to get back in shape before the comp is over so I can al shoot them under .5 inch at 100m

Nice work BlueVfrank and welcome to the leaderboards! Nice looking stick and looking forward to your future results once your back gets beter.

As for everyone else, the BOARD IS NOW FULL!! This is where it starts getting fun as people can start getting bumped from the top ten. Good job everyone so far!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BlueVFRank</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've got a serious back injury at the moment (awaiting being amitted into a revalidation clinic. So lying down is a bit "uncomfortable" for me but I wanted to have a spot in the standings so i did my best.

Shot with my 25" Roedale RT 43 @ 110yards (100 meters) with Roedale bipod / rear sand bag prone.
308W Cartridge
Average was .730"
Best group was .432"
Optics = mil/mil 3x24x42 March Tactical FFP
Mount = Third Eye Tactical Rings with 20 MOA rail

Shot with reloads
3x fired Lapua cases
Federal 210
39 grain N140
155 scenar
about 2.86 coal

.988" + 1.165" + .432" + .844" + .517" + .437" = 4.383 / 6 = .7305 average over 6 groupings @ 5shots each / 30 total bullets:

Hope to get back in shape before the comp is over so I can al shoot them under .5 inch at 100m </div></div>

Thanks,

There's always one shot that falls out of the group and that ruins the average. I guess that is a universal problem for all shooters.

Wow!! This is tougher than I had imagined. I have gone out to shoot groups two times and always get frustrated after the first group or two or three.

I think I will go back to load development now......

yes, it only takes 1 bullet / shot to screw the whole thing up!! it is load of fun, even for 100yards... try to 300yards also!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BlueVFRank</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks,

There's always one shot that falls out of the group and that ruins the average. I guess that is a universal problem for all shooters. </div></div>

yes, i think people under-estimate how hard this can be.... especially for an AR platform. Give the 300yard shootout a try also!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sean Hagerty</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wow!! This is tougher than I had imagined. I have gone out to shoot groups two times and always get frustrated after the first group or two or three.

I think I will go back to load development now...... </div></div>

Think I'll give 300 a run next weekend.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sean Hagerty</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wow!! This is tougher than I had imagined. I have gone out to shoot groups two times and always get frustrated after the first group or two or three.

Sean, don't sweat those "called fliers" or "fouling shots" or "wind gusts". As long as you got a few half inch groups, then its a half inch rifle, at least on the inturdnet
grin.gif

All joking aside, your honesty is refreshing.

Unfortunately with the closing of a military range for civilians in the Netherlands (which allowed us to shoot up to 1 kilometer) there is only one range that's 300 meters. Downside is it's over 125 miles one way trip.

This is a state of art range with electronic shot registration so I won't be able to meet the requirements for the competition.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ctsmith</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sean Hagerty</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wow!! This is tougher than I had imagined. I have gone out to shoot groups two times and always get frustrated after the first group or two or three.

Sean, don't sweat those "called fliers" or "fouling shots" or "wind gusts". As long as you got a few half inch groups, then its a half inch rifle, at least on the inturdnet
grin.gif

</div></div>

I find it easier if you only shoot 1 round. Less chance of messing up right?
wink.gif

DMpowder, when are you going to bust out the bolt action and the skills?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dmpowder</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ctsmith</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sean Hagerty</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wow!! This is tougher than I had imagined. I have gone out to shoot groups two times and always get frustrated after the first group or two or three.

grin.gif

</div></div>

I find it easier if you only shoot 1 round. Less chance of messing up right?
wink.gif
</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: elfster1234</div><div class="ubbcode-body">DMpowder, when are you going to bust out the bolt action and the skills?
</div></div>

About the same time you pick which caliber rifle you wanna buy!
grin.gif

I don't call it skill! More so just dumb luck.
wink.gif

For the real though they are loaded and waiting.

And not sure if I wanna do 100 or 300 one to start.
blush.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dmpowder</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: elfster1234</div><div class="ubbcode-body">DMpowder, when are you going to bust out the bolt action and the skills?
</div></div>

grin.gif

</div></div>

Did dmpowder just bust you on getting off the fence?
laugh.gif

OUCH! that hurts!! LOL

what ever barrel burner!!! LOL
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dmpowder</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: elfster1234</div><div class="ubbcode-body">DMpowder, when are you going to bust out the bolt action and the skills?
</div></div>

grin.gif

I don't call it skill! More so just dumb luck.
wink.gif

For the real though they are loaded and waiting.

And not sure if I wanna do 100 or 300 one to start.
blush.gif
</div></div>

Shot with my 24" Savage 110 with Savage factory 1X9twist varmit weight barrel @ 100yards with blackhawk bipod front & rear bag off the tailgate of my truck.
Average was .774"
Best group was .352"
Cartridge = 223 Remington
Rifle used = 24" Savage 110 with Savage factory 1X9twist SS varmit weight barrel
Barrel Length / Type = 24" SS Savage Factory Varmit weight barrel 1X9 twist
Optics = BSA 36X
Mount = Unknown 1” rings

Shot with reloads
I was doing load development and did ok, so I thought I would post the group here.
Primer Rem 7 1/2
Powder Varget 24.7 to 25.3 gr
Bullet 77gr Nosler Custom Competition
Nosler Brass 3xfired
2.300” OAL Seated right at the lands

This was a lot tougher than I thought. I had tried several other times going prone, with nothing I was willing to share. So, I went back to load development and got on a more stable platform. I need to practice prone shooting a lot!!

.990" + .838" + .569" + .352" + .494" + 1.398" = 4.642 / 6 = .774 average over 6 groupings @ 5shots each / 30 total bullets.

p1030069.jpg

p1030071.jpg

p1030062.jpg

Nice job Hagerty! you didn't make the average, but you sure as hell made the best group top ten! WTG!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sean Hagerty</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Shot with my 24" Savage 110 with Savage factory 1X9twist varmit weight barrel @ 100yards with blackhawk bipod front & rear bag off the tailgate of my truck.
Average was .774"
Best group was .352"
Cartridge = 223 Remington
Rifle used = 24" Savage 110 with Savage factory 1X9twist SS varmit weight barrel
Barrel Length / Type = 24" SS Savage Factory Varmit weight barrel 1X9 twist
Optics = BSA 36X
Mount = Unknown 1” rings

Shot with reloads
I was doing load development and did ok, so I thought I would post the group here.
Primer Rem 7 1/2
Powder Varget 24.7 to 25.3 gr
Bullet 77gr Nosler Custom Competition
Nosler Brass 3xfired
2.300” OAL Seated right at the lands

This was a lot tougher than I thought. I had tried several other times going prone, with nothing I was willing to share. So, I went back to load development and got on a more stable platform. I need to practice prone shooting a lot!!

.990" + .838" + .569" + .352" + .494" + 1.398" = 4.642 / 6 = .774 average over 6 groupings @ 5shots each / 30 total bullets.
</div></div>

sounds good, welcome to the top ten. looking forward to you future results and nice bolt action my friend and good shooting.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sean Hagerty</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thank you Sir. I am going back with developed loads and see what happens. </div></div>

I went out shooting today at a buddy's farm with some of my buddies to get all of our deer hunting firearms checked out and ready to go. When everyone left and I was out there shooting alone, I remembered about this thread and thought to myself, "What the hell, it's awfully windy but I may as well give it a try and see what happens." Below are the specs on the rifle, specs on the load, the group results and pictures.

Rifle:
Remington 700 built by Chad Dixon
25" light Palma Brux chambered in 260 Remington
McMillan A5 with pillars but not bedded (been meaning to get around to that!)
factory bottom metal (DBM on the short list as well)
Nightforce NXS 8-32x56 NPR1
Thunderbeast 30P-1
Shot off of a wooden bench with the front and rear bags in the picture of the rifle

Load:
Lapua brass
CCI BR2 primers
140 Amax
43.6gr H4350
2.214 to the ogive, .010 off the lands, 2.840 oal
2820fps

Groups:
.511+.528+.749+.454+.323+.513=3.078/6=.513avg

2mdos48.jpg

359d7ra.jpg

2mmtmk1.jpg

killer work wfjames22! welcome to the leader boards! you just bumped two people, WTG.

nice looking rifle BTW.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wfjames22</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I went out shooting today at a buddy's farm with some of my buddies to get all of our deer hunting firearms checked out and ready to go. When everyone left and I was out there shooting alone, I remembered about this thread and thought to myself, "What the hell, it's awfully windy but I may as well give it a try and see what happens." Below are the specs on the rifle, specs on the load, the group results and pictures.

Rifle:
Remington 700 built by Chad Dixon
25" light Palma Brux chambered in 260 Remington
McMillan A5 with pillars but not bedded (been meaning to get around to that!)
factory bottom metal (DBM on the short list as well)
Nightforce NXS 8-32x56 NPR1
Thunderbeast 30P-1
Shot off of a wooden bench with the front and rear bags in the picture of the rifle

Load:
Lapua brass
CCI BR2 primers
140 Amax
43.6gr H4350
2.214 to the ogive, .010 off the lands, 2.840 oal
2820fps

Groups:
.511+.528+.749+.454+.323+.513=3.078/6=.513avg </div></div>

Giving this a shot this afternoon, tag for later

I have some 100 yard groups. As i stated in the 300 yard thread, I have not shot paper groups in a while but I have a pile of these targets. Most of them only have 5 groups on them but here are my 6 group targets.

All shot prone off a bipod with an old school XLR chassis. Badger M2008 6.5x47 Lapua 22" 8 twist Hart 123 Scenar. I was using 38 grains of RL17 at the time but I have since switched to 4350.

Target agg: .3438
targets5001.jpg

targets5005.jpg

Target agg: .340
targets5007.jpg

targets5008.jpg

Old School XLR
cool.gif

XLR65001_crop.jpg

Finally got around to posting this - here we go....

Shot with my FN SPR A5 @ 100yards with harris bipod front & rear bag prone.
Average was .628"
Best group was .277"
Cartridge = 308 Winchester
Rifle used = FN SPR A5
Barrel Length / Type = 24"
Optics = Leupold Mark 4 4.5x14x50
Mount = 20Moa Base and Leupold Mark 4 Med Steel Rings

Shot with reloads
Federal Brass
CCI 200
43gr IMR 4064
168gr Sierra HPBT
2.80"

.915 + .791 + .277 + .523 + .819 + .445 = 3.77/6 = .628 average over 6 groupings @ 5 shots each / 30 total bullets:
IMG_3766.jpg

Best group was .277":
IMG_3765.jpg

My rifle, FN SPR A5 24" Barrel:
IMG_3679.jpg

Long time reader first time poster. Saw the challenge and had to jump in.
Still recovering from appendicitis operation (this Monday).
Shot today pretty fast - the sun was setting.

Rifle:
Savage 12LRPV
24" 6PPC+.030" Bull barrel 1:14
HS Stock
Sightron SIII 10-50x60

Average group: .252" (.2405 MOA)
Best group: .110"

Shot off "super-tactical" NC Star bipod - has no springs or lock on it - just a ball, so I really had to handle the rifle: and the groups show it
frown.gif

Load:
Norma brass
Tula Primers
65 Bergers
29.5 8208

Groups:
.270+.325+.240+.329+.239+.110=1.513/6=.252 avg

29atwqo.jpg

2dliudw.jpg

2e234wl.jpg

I guess might as well apply for Grand Prize ... obviously OnTarget is more precise.

25hzx8m.jpg

Rifle:
Savage 12LRPV
HS Stock
Sightron SIII 10-50x60

awesome!!!! barrel maker please

Shoulda left the benchrest out of the pic.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Belisarius</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
awesome!!!! barrel maker please </div></div>
I'm sorry I don't know who made the barrel or chambered it. I picked it up on gunbroker a few years back. No (maker's) markings anywhere. Round count unknown. 4 groove. 13.5-14.0 twist?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 6brshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Shoulda left the benchrest out of the pic. </div></div>
Lol, why? I had other rifle with me
smile.gif
Now I just need to figure out how to put bipod on it to shoot 300 yard challenge.
206odhl.jpg

Wow, very nice MoBoost! Sorry, I've been crazy busy with some RL stuff and hunting. Looks like you just took the grand prize crown! Nice work, nice shooting, and nice rifle! I'll get you on the OP soon.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MoBoost</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Long time reader first time poster. Saw the challenge and had to jump in.
Still recovering from appendicitis operation (this Monday).
Shot today pretty fast - the sun was setting.

Rifle:
Savage 12LRPV
HS Stock
Sightron SIII 10-50x60

Average group: .252" (.2405 MOA)
Best group: .110"

Shot off "super-tactical" NC Star bipod - has no springs or lock on it - just a ball, so I really had to handle the rifle: and the groups show it
frown.gif

Load:
Norma brass
Tula Primers
65 Bergers
29.5 8208

Groups:
.270+.325+.240+.329+.239+.110=1.513/6=.252 avg

29atwqo.jpg

2dliudw.jpg

2e234wl.jpg

I guess might as well apply for Grand Prize ... obviously OnTarget is more precise.

25hzx8m.jpg
</div></div>

Well gang, I think these shootouts have run their course and I think it is time for me to shut them down. I think we have all received some good info from them and I hope you all enjoyed them. RL stuff is pulling my time away from my forum posts. Feel free to keep on posting!

<span style="color: #FF0000"><span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">Like I said before,,,,, keep on posting if you want but I will no longer be updating the OP.</span></span></span>

Thank again!

Elfster1234

Shot with my 26"Savage 110 with factory 1x9twist barrel with caldwell bipod front & rear bag from the prone position.
Average was .617
Best group was .379"
Cartridge = 223 rem
Rifle used = Savage 110 with savage laminate stock
Barrel Length / Type = 26" SS Varmit weight 1X9twist
Optics = moa/mil 6-24X Bushnell Tactical Elite
Mount = EGW 20 moa Rail with unknown rings

Shot with reloads
Mixed Lapua and Nosler brass. One of the groups has 2 shots of nosler brass and 3 shots of lapua brass.
Rem SR Match primers
24.7 Varget
77gr Nosler CC

.699+.379+.638+.927+.577+.485 .617” average over 6 groupings @ 5shots each / 30 total bullets:

IMAG0480.jpg

Best group was .379":

IMAG0483.jpg

My rifle</SPAN>

p1030062.jpg

Speaking of bringing something back from the dead, haven't shot my 700VS in 223 in over a year, I just put the bipod on it and going thru the barrel with Hoppes #9 as we speak just to make sure it's clean, Ill take it out wed if weather permits, I'd shoot it today but Id probably fall asleep at the bench since I worked a 12 hour shift last night. Might lighten the trigger a bit today as well.

Speaking of bringing something back from the dead, haven't shot my 700VS in 223 in over a year, I just put the bipod on it and going thru the barrel with Hoppes #9 as we speak just to make sure it's clean, Ill take it out wed if weather permits, I'd shoot it today but Id probably fall asleep at the bench since I worked a 12 hour shift last night. Might lighten the trigger a bit today as well.

Ptfff!... Only 12 hr shifts, I wish! I do 16's back to back! ;)