• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

108 eld-m exploding in flight

Best way to fix that, stop shooting Hornady bullets. It seems their long for caliber bullets are prone to exploding in flight. I’ve personally experienced this in the 7mm 180 eldm, one lot had 60% pop inflight, other lots are fine. I figure it’s always a gamble with them.

Reactions: Hecouldgoalltheway
If you're loading 39gr of H4350 you're over published max according to Hodgdon's load data- they list 38.1 as max. I don't have their latest manual sp I don't know what Hornady is publishing for a max load with H4350/108eldm.

It's hard to believe that hornady and hodgeon would be that far out of synch. 41.7gr according to the hornady book.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230402_144120_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20230402_144120_Drive.jpg
    279.1 KB · Views: 106
Reactions: lash
I don't know how to take a screen shot, but Hodgon is showing 41.6 as the max with H4350 and 108's
If you’re using an iPhone, you press the screen lock button (right side) and the volume up button (left side) at the same time, to take a screenshot. 👍🏼

No idea how Androids work, so if you’re using an android phone, maybe someone else can chime-in.

If you’re using an iPhone, you press the screen lock button (right side) and the volume up button (left side) at the same time, to take a screenshot. 👍🏼

No idea how Androids work, so if you’re using an android phone, maybe someone else can chime-in.
It's the same thing but you use vol down and the screen lock button at the same time for Android

Thanks guys, I was actually on my Chromebook. My IT knowledge begins and ends with 'try unplugging it and plugging it back in' :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Is barrel 236 or 237 bore? 236 bore with 7tw will damage bullets once fitecracking or carbon rings develop in the throat. Go 237 on a 6mm always is my rule, I've had no issues with 7 or 7.5 tw in 237 in my experience with 109 eldm, 109 lrht 110 atip, 105 hyb from 2900-3000fps from 6gt. A tougher bullet like the sierra 107 will likely hold together better as it has a tougher jacket. And you'll get a bc boost and better shot to shot consistency.

Last edited:
This is crazy, I’d never heard of this until stumbling onto this thread. I have shot a couple thousand 147s out of a 1-8twist 6.5creed without any issues. Plan on using the 108s for a 6arc and hoping for around 2650-2700fps out of a 7.5twist. Hoping they work and there are no issues.

I think all my 6mm rifles are proof barrels and have shoot anywhere from 2700- 3170 with no issues yet. You can try calling one of their techs and get their opinions as well . I dont think they offer 6mm in a 7 twist yet
Yes they offer 1-7 .237 bore barrels. My 6GT is a Proof 1-7 Comp contour running 109 ELDM’s at 2856fps

The Berger BT Target bullets are as easy to load for as SMK’s as they share the same bullet shape. I ran the 108 BT targets in my BRA and had good luck with them. If you want to try some, I can send you a hand full to run at your current load if you’re interested. I have a partial box. Pm me if you want them.

The answer is pretty simple and it is one I learned here. Can't remember which thread. The 7 twist is responsible. Any bullet RPM over 300K will blow up jacketed bullets. Bullet RPM = MV X 720/ Twist rate in inches. Your bullets are spinning at 306,308 RPMs. You should be using solids or get a 7.5 twist rate barrel. My 2 cents.
This is a good general rule of thumb. It will typically keep you safe especially with 5r rifling. You can push some tougher bullets more. I have a 28" 243AI running DTACS at 3140 fps in a 7.5 twist 5r. Also have run Hornady 105 bthp at 3225 from a 26" 243AI in a 7.5 twist 5r with no issues. My 243AI barrels can run until they start shotgunning without blowing bullets. I clean with abrasives every 200 rounds in those to keep carbon in check, and I have to use a borescope because sometimes I have to really go to town on the carbon. Other times not so much.

I am using the 108s in a 7 twist but only run them around 2830- 250ish rounds in and no issues. My first GT barrel was a 7.5 twist and I was running SMK 107s at 2950. At matches I'd start getting a heavy bolt lift halfway through a stage so I slowed it down. I think even if they weren't vaporizing on you that you're likely running them hot enough that you'd be wearing your brass out prematurely.

Curious what type of rifling your barrel has. I've heard 5r are more susceptible to poofing bullets with higher twist rates and velocities.

You have it backwards. 5r is easier on bullets, not harder.

I have had issues with the 147s like alot of others and 225s so I quit shooting tube eldms...

Their 140 bthp match and 105s have worked great for me however

I've also had good luck with hornady bthp. I don't shoot elds. I either go for the good shit (Berger) or the cheap shit (bthp).

Is barrel 236 or 237 bore? 236 bore with 7tw will damage bullets once fitecracking or carbon rings develop in the throat. Go 237 on a 6mm always is rule, I've had no issues with 7 or 7.5 tw in 237 in my experience with 109 eldm, 109 lrht 110 atip, 105 hyb from 2900-3000fps from 6gt. A tougher bullet like the sierra 107 will likely hold together better as it has a tougher jacket. And you'll get a bc boost and better shot to shot consistency.

Speedy Gonzalez was on you tube saying that all his screamer barrels were .237. That's a clue.

The Berger BT Target bullets are as easy to load for as SMK’s as they share the same bullet shape. I ran the 108 BT targets in my BRA and had good luck with them. If you want to try some, I can send you a hand full to run at your current load if you’re interested. I have a partial box. Pm me if you want them.

Stop telling everyone the secret. I can still buy bullets when I need them, but not if you keep this up. Keep telling everyone that .065 extra bc makes all the difference in the world. Those old bt target bullets are just a shitty, outdated design;-)

I had 147gr ELD-M 6.5 Creedmoor factory ammo out of a 8 twist AINA Bartlein doing the same thing at a match, just little gray puffs mid air, the spotter saw it first.

Hornady bullets are just junk. I thought maybe they had fixed this but apparently it’s still an issue.

FWIW I’ve ran 65gr Berger BTHP’s screaming fast from a 7 twist 6mm creed with no issue. I doubt it’s an RPM issue. Pick up some 105 or 109 hybrids when you can and don’t look back.

Alright fellas, shot a match at K&M today, and had magical bullets disappearing in flight. One of my squad mates took a video with his phone which clearly showed my bullet turning into powder at about 50y. Once the sun came up fully and we were aware of it, I was watching 70% (give or take) of my bullets detonating on flight. I had tested this load last week and in my 7 twist barrel, I was shooting 2978fps, but this morning the bullets that were making it to the target were flying high. After adjusting my dope to match, I was able to determine my mv was now about 3015. It is a bit warmer than it was then,more humidity, and on and on, so I'm surprised to see that much variation in an h4350 load, but there it was.

So, I said all that to get to the question. Who else is shooting 108 eld-m? What velocities are you shooting? I have about 500 of these bullets from this lot, and I'm fine with slowing them down a bit to shoot them, but of I have a bad lot of bullets, I'd like to know. Knowing this could save me considerable time and unnecessary expense. Thank you.

I was in your squad and watching this happen live was absolutely nuts. Despite your exploding bullets and my constant ejection issues it was great fun and was nice shooting with you!

IMG_3729.jpeg

He is not even close to a max load.

Edit: sorry about the duplicate data. The site is acting wonky on my phone and I didn’t see you had already posted it.

Last edited:
I was in your squad and watching this happen live was absolutely nuts. Despite your exploding bullets and my constant ejection issues it was great fun and was nice shooting with you!
Yes sir, I appreciate it. I enjoyed shooting with you and Oliver as well.

I don't shoot 108s but I do shoot 88s in a 223. I know when I put it together I read of a lot of people blowing up ELDs. It seems to be safe you need to keep them under 300k rpm. Mine run about 290k and haven't lost any yet. Looks like yours are running around 310k. Would probably have to back them off to 2900 ish to be safe or use a 7.5 twist.
This, and .236 vs .237 bbl

It's hard to believe that hornady and hodgeon would be that far out of synch. 41.7gr according to the hornady book.
Hornady's and Hodgdon's load data looks almost identical when comparing the same powder, case, and bullet.

BULLET WEIGHT
108 GR. HDY ELD-M
CASE
HORNADY
PRIMER
WINCHESTER LR, LARGE RIFLE

ManufacturerPowderBullet Diam.C.O.LGrs.Vel. (ft/s)PressureGrs.Vel. (ft/s)Pressure
Starting LoadMaximum Loads
HodgdonH4350BUY NOW0.243"2.770"37.82,80249,800 PSI41.63,00660,100 PSI

Same here. 7.5 twist 6 cm. I run them no problem at 3000-3030 fps
Yep, we pretty clearly outlined several pages ago that a 7.5 twist handles them just fine, but a 7 twist (which I have) is a 14% increase in rotation is too much for the bullet to handle. I'm now shooting 115gr vld target, and once I moved about 90 thousandths from the lands, they shoot just fine.

Going to D-tacs when these are gone.