• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

1200 yd caliber

OP is only shooting out to 1200 yards. Not ELR and no need for magnums or even long actions.

Very true, but, once you hit a target out to 1200 yards, I find that I want to keep pushing that envelope. I've shot my 223 tikka out to 1028 yards and I'm thursty for more. I want to try King of the mile but I know there is limitations to calibers. I'm hoping that my next build (22CM shooting 95 SMK) will get me to 1400 to maybe 1600 yards but thats just for giggles. Not going to try to hard. I'm also a sucker for anything .22 calibers.

and ELR is defind as what, 3-400 yards for a .22lr is ELR. 1000+yards for 223 is ELR. a mile for 300 Norma is ELR

Last edited:
Very true, but, once you hit a target out to 1200 yards, I find that I want to keep pushing that envelope. I've shot my 223 tikka out to 1028 yards and I'm thursty for more. I want to try King of the mile but I know there is limitations to calibers. I'm hoping that my next build (22CM shooting 95 SMK) will get me to 1400 to maybe 1600 yards but thats just for giggles. Not going to try to hard. I'm also a sucker for anything .22 calibers.

and ELR is defind as what, 3-400 yards for a .22lr is ELR. 1000+yards for 223 is ELR.

And by that time he might decide to build something to reach farther but may not and be happy with what he has. Too many newer shooters say "I want to shoot long range and need a 338 Lapua!" and spend thousands and then find out it's a lot of recoil, not really anyplace to shoot it to it's potential and ammo is expensive so they don't shoot and end up selling the rifle. The smart ones do what the OP is doing.

Having shot my 6.5 Creedmoor to a mile with factory ammo and his location with not having a longer range close by he only needs help with his present situation and not what he might do sometime in the future. He can reach out plenty far enough for now with a properly set up 6.5 Creedmoor.

How true that is...some are lucky to have the facilities that allow them to shoot at those ranges. Here in the NE 600yds is the closest I can get to regularly, for me it's prs 22lr and the occasional 600yd plinking session with my old Savage 110LA build that shoots well at that range. If I had more range available I'd do it differently, why overspend and overthink a build I'll never test to it's true potential.

How true that is...some are lucky to have the facilities that allow them to shoot at those ranges. Here in the NE 600yds is the closest I can get to regularly, for me it's prs 22lr and the occasional 600yd plinking session with my old Savage 110LA build that shoots well at that range. If I had more range available I'd do it differently, why overspend and overthink a build I'll never test to it's true potential.
where in NY are you?

Eastern LI...closest real facility is Sheepdog in the Catskills, 3 1/2 hrs away
at least it's a good facility...but yeah that's a drive

if you shoot matches they do back to back centerfire/rimfire. can camp on site too

I took my 6.5 Needmoor last may out to 1,560 yards with no issues. This caliber will fit the bill very nicely. I will add that we were shooting in near ideal conditions. (6:40AM, extremely light winds, etc.)

I find the biggest challenge past 1k is seeing splash and hearing impacts on steel. If you want options you can always build a SA 6.5 on a long action and then change bolt face and barrel for 300PRC class if you want more.

Reactions: The D
At this point only an AI AXMC or AXSR can be recommended. Then you can swap whatever, whenever and shoot as far as you want

Problem solved

Reactions: The D
At this point only an AI AXMC or AXSR can be recommended. Then you can swap whatever, whenever and shoot as far as you want

Problem solved
I feel like there are a few other options

1677803137320.gif

Reactions: spife7980
For only 1,200yds. I'd grab the AXSA or AT-X

I hardly use my AXSR for anything inside 1,200yds.

I've been researching various rifle options for myself, looking at long distance hunting and PRS. Given my own personal parameters, I looked up cartridges that were as close as I could find to each other. I've put that info into a ballistics calculator for chart creation. My current choice is to go with a 7mm Rem Mag rifle & round, as it seems to have the best overall ballistics for my parameters. :)

Ballistics Chart LRS cartriges.png

^I can't see what parameters would make that chart seem important. Certainly approaching zero value for a chambering comparison.

Reactions: b6graham
^I can't see what parameters would make that chart seem important. Certainly approaching zero value for a chambering comparison.
4 calibers of rifle round: 7mm Rem Mag, 6.5CM, 300WM and .308 Winchester. Ballistics info from each gathered from Mfr. and range information out to 1800 yards. The OP asked a question...I provided my input. Worthwhile? That is up to the OP.

I've been researching various rifle options for myself, looking at long distance hunting and PRS. Given my own personal parameters, I looked up cartridges that were as close as I could find to each other. I've put that info into a ballistics calculator for chart creation. My current choice is to go with a 7mm Rem Mag rifle & round, as it seems to have the best overall ballistics for my parameters. :)

View attachment 8088026
You can shoot the 7mmRM in PRS matches but plan to have barrels on stand by as you will be running through them.

If you care about hit percentage, especially first round the magnums are unbeatable. We shoot out to 1200 with 6 dash/br/gt and 6.5 creed but if I was building a dedicated 1k+ gun.....

SA
6.5 prc
7 ss
7saum
7-6.5 prc

LA
300PRC
300NORMA
28 SHERMAN

You get the idea.

4 calibers of rifle round: 7mm Rem Mag, 6.5CM, 300WM and .308 Winchester. Ballistics info from each gathered from Mfr. and range information out to 1800 yards. The OP asked a question...I provided my input. Worthwhile? That is up to the OP.

1. Trajectory is essentially meaningless for shots at known distances, i.e. target shooting. Wind drift is what's important for hits. Both are improved by velocity, but wind drift is improved much more by using a projectile with higher ballistic coefficient.

2. The trajectories you posted are also just 1 of 100's of projectiles/loads that could've been selected for those cartridges...

----------------------------------------------------

Find the projectiles with the best BC for each caliber. Pick an acceptable wind drift for your purpose at max distance - in this case 1200 yds. Look at the velocity necessary to achieve that wind drift - now figure how much powder would be necessary to get that velocity - and that capacity should start pointing towards a few cases that would work, for each projectile.

Now that you have potential chamberings - weigh the limitations of rifle configuration as well as cost of consumables, heat soak, recoil, and many other tangible and intangible criteria.