• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

1200yd range in Talladega, AL???

Re: 1200yd range in Talladega, AL???

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Danley</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Been hearing rumors of a new range being built near Talladega, AL. Does anyone here know if there's any truth to it? From my understanding it's going to be 1200yds. </div></div>

I ran into an old friend that now works for CMP. They have just finalized a deal for land near Talladega Speedway to build a range on. It WILL NOT be 1200 yards. IIRC, he said 600.

The one they're planning in Brecon?

Any news on estimate of when it will be finished?

It was originally supposed to be awesome but it keeps on getting more scaled down.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lawofsavage</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The one they're planning in Brecon?

Any news on estimate of when it will be finished?

It was originally supposed to be awesome but it keeps on getting more scaled down. </div></div>

Don't know any other details.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Danley</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Figured it was wishful thinking. </div></div>

The guy that owns the range I go to said that the original plans were for it to be the largest range other than Fort Benning this side of the Mississippi but I don't think that is still the case.

More news on this ... Apparently there are 2 completely different ranges in the works. One being the Alabama Shooting Complex which is the 1200yd range in question. Current plans still include the 1200yd range. The second range is going to be a CMP range (complete different facility) which will be a max of 600yds. Both are going to be in the Talledega area. Maybe they can make this happen!

Yes we are 2 different ranges... The 1200 yard range is on the list of modules to develop... The first modules will be a 100/300 yard rifle, pistol and skeet/trap...

I will be happy to answer questions anytime...

Dennis
www.alashooting.com

Dennis, thanks for weighing in. I live near B-ham, and we need a 1000yd+ range very badly within reasonable driving distance.

A 1200yd range would be nothing short of outstanding to see.

Is there a time frame for this 1200yd range, and how are you guys going to do the target setup for it?

Thanks in advance:)

It is one of the last in the development list due to the tremendous cost due to the dirt work... If we can find some funding or grants we will get it up and running asap...

We do plan on opening a 500 yard rife range with steel targets at known and unknown distances... Been trying to come up with a good name for it... Suggestions are welcome..

Dennis

Cool, thanks for the quick reply and info.

Doing the 1200yd range last makes sense, even though that's the thing I'd like to see first.

The engineering group has been selected and will be doing a site visit next week. Then we go into the 404 water permits and start the construction layout and drawings... Its moving forward, just alot of back ground work...

Dennis

Its in the non sexy part.. We are working with the engineer group doing water shed surveys and starting to do prelim design work.. But its work moving the project forward..

Dennis

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mach1pilot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Its in the non sexy part.. We are working with the engineer group doing water shed surveys and starting to do prelim design work.. But its work moving the project forward..

Dennis </div></div>

Dennis,

So is this something that is a 100% go, or are you still in the research phase on feasibility?

I know a lot of guys who would love to make the trek over from my area. Any plans of hosting matches?

Its in the pre construction phase.. The research and background stuff has been done. We are in the process of doing the 404 permit from the corp of engineers to see if we are in any form of waterhed or head waters.. Once we get that clearance, we start the process of clearing and soon moving dirt. We want to get the corps blessing due to the amount of land that is affected and to avoid issues later on with possible issues of wetlands or blue water streams... We are looking at 830 acres with about 400 or more in actual ranges so its a big project..

Oh wow, this is awesome news. Just starting to get interested in mid/long range shooting and don't know of anywhere good to go in the Birmingham area (my range only goes to 100 yards
frown.gif
).

Definitely subscribing to this thread. Keep us updated!

Awesome news. I am near Birmingham as well and I would love to see a 1200 yard range. My current range is 500 yards which is not that bad, but I would love 1200.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: spersky</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Awesome news. I am near Birmingham as well and I would love to see a 1200 yard range. My current range is 500 yards which is not that bad, but I would love 1200.</div></div>

Are there any decent public 200-500 yard ranges within an hour of birmingham? I don't feel like joining another club at the moment, but im going to have a nice .223 build before long that I really want to shoot from 100-500 or so.

Damn, Brock's Gap is the only one I knew of close by. The only other ive heard of is Maple Ridge Gun Club in Cullman, which has a 300 or 500 yard range I think and may be public access with a fee.

marking for future reference.

tell USACE to hurry up, or I could walk over to enviro section and ask.