• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report 130s vs 140s in 6.5 Creedmoor. Who knew???

Hondo64d

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 12, 2006
The Big Country
So I was comparing wind drift between the 130gr AR Hybrid and 140gr Elite Hunter at a 4400’ DA, which is pretty typical here on a Summer morning. EH has a .310 G7 and the AR has a .287 G7. Getting 2790 from the EHs and 2910 from the ARs. Was thinking because I was crowding 2800 with the 140 that they would be better in the wind. Much to my surprise, not so. The 130 AR Hybrid shows a 10mph wind bracket out to 500 yards then drops to a 7mph out to 1k. The 140 shows 7mph wind bracket out to 700 then 6mph out to 1k. Never would have thought a 120fps muzzle velocity advantage would buy me that much less wind drift.

Not going to change my hunting load this late in the game but will investigate the 130s closer when I get back...

I was predisposed to chase as much BC as I can get but apparently that is not always the best course of action...

John

Last edited:
Reactions: Gohring65
The 130vld and 130 Hybrid are what I'm mainly focusing on in my 6.5x47 but still in its infancy stage, still haven't made up my mind if I want to run the 130 class in the Creedmoor since it has a 7.5" twist barrel on it.
Guess I will let the rifle decide what it likes best.
The 130 Hybrids and VLD's are a pretty good match of acceptable BC and attainable velocity for the size of those two cases.

I have good experience with the 130 VLD on game, how does the AR hybrid compare for hunting?

The Berger 130 hybrid is really intended to be more of a tactical and target projectile. Not sure that it is the best choice for a hunting bullet where a quick kill is the objective. I have seen the 130 hybrid punch through 2 layers of 12 ga steel separated by 4 inches at 1000 yards without a lot of expansion. Please don’t ask me how I saw that, well OK , bad wind read ?

So I was comparing wind drift between the 130gr AR Hybrid and 140gr Elite Hunter at a 4400’ DA, which is pretty typical here on a Summer morning. EH has a .310 G7 and the AR has a .287 G7. Getting 2790 from the EHs and 2910 from the ARs. Was thinking because I was crowding 2800 with the 140 that they would be better in the wind. Much to my surprise, not so. The 130 AR Hybrid shows a 10mph wind bracket out to 500 yards then drops to a 7mph out to 1k. The 140 shows 7mph wind bracket out to 700 then 6mph out to 1k. Never would have thought a 120fps muzzle velocity advantage would buy me that much less wind drift.

Not going to change my hunting load this late in the game but will investigate the 130s closer when I get back...

I was predisposed to chase as much BC as I can get but apparently that is not always the best course of action...

John

Disregard all my jibberish above. Found an error in my load setup. Had .18” of zero offset in there for some reason, which favored the 3 o’clock wind I was using for my calculations. Garbage In = Garbage Out.

My numbers now have the AR showing 7 mph to 600 then 6 mph to 1100 and the EH showing 7 mph to 700 and then 6 mph from 900 to 1200. Slight advantage to the EH.

Hope I didn’t screw anybody up too bad with my fake news.

John

Reactions: spife7980
Good on ya for coming back and reporting. I shoot the 130s, but it’s because my 260 has a very short throat. It loves them. It’s very very close, but prob not the equal of 140+. But it does pretty well.

John
Ahh!!! You are learning well young grasshopper!!!

Disregard all my jibberish above. Found an error in my load setup. Had .18” of zero offset in there for some reason, which favored the 3 o’clock wind I was using for my calculations. Garbage In = Garbage Out.

My numbers now have the AR showing 7 mph to 600 then 6 mph to 1100 and the EH showing 7 mph to 700 and then 6 mph from 900 to 1200. Slight advantage to the EH.

Hope I didn’t screw anybody up too bad with my fake news.

John
Ahh!!! You are learning well young grasshopper!!!

He kinda changed his tune

Reactions: Gohring65
Here in NZ the Berger bullets are so expensive most don't use them. After extensive testing of both the Lapua Scenar 123gr and 139gr I have decided on 123gr in both my 6.5x47L and 260Rem. With the velocities I am achieving they ballistically out shoot the 139gr all the way out.

Reactions: lte82