• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

155 palma coal, how far is too far

heavy barrel

Private
Minuteman
Mar 17, 2009
phoenix,az
I just got some 155 smk palma (the new ones) & I'm trying to figure out what legnth to start load development. I have the hornady/stoney point case legnth tool. If I set them .010 off the lands there is not much bullet being held by the case (around 1 mm). Is that safe or ok to load them that far out? Or should I load them to mag legnth to start?

Re: 155 palma coal, how far is too far

how long is a mm?? well if my math is correct that would be about .039" in standard units. I would say since your trying to load off the lands i would defiantly shove them back in the neck more.
Nathan

How long is the throat in you gun?
OR conversely
How long is the OAL when the bullet is seated at -0.010?

They are short bullets. A Palma Match chamber would help. Most F classers and Plama guys soft-seat. The scenar is longer, and better, if you have a .299 bore. Both will jump just fine.

Well, I just read on another site that the rule is you need at least the diameter of the bullet in length seated in the case. So for a 308 you need at .308" of case holding the bullet. This sounds like a good rule to follow.

I'm fairly new to this long range loading. I've had good results loading 175's at .010 off the lands & thought I would start there with the 155's but they are just too short to do that. The lack of 175's have me trying different bullets. I'm got some 190smk's to try also.

I'd start at mag length and see where it goes.

Sounds like good advice. Thanks guys. I'll start at mag length & go from there.