• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

16-18 inch shorty rifles

Here’s my shorty rifle. Tikka T3 stainless lefty action with Carbon Six 17” 6.5CM barrel in a Grayboe Terrain stock with CTR bottom metal. Steiner P4X 4-16 scope. Dead Air brake for use with Sandman-S.
I’m getting 2720 FPS shooting Federal 130 grain Bergers (suppressed) and 2560 FPS shooting Hornady American Gunner 140 grain (suppressed).
I’m really happy with this short fast handling setup.
STEINER.jpeg

Here’s my shorty rifle. Tikka T3 stainless lefty action with Carbon Six 17” 6.5CM barrel in a Grayboe Terrain stock with CTR bottom metal. Steiner P4X 4-16 scope. Dead Air brake for use with Sandman-S.
I’m getting 2720 FPS shooting Federal 130 grain Bergers (suppressed) and 2560 FPS shooting Hornady American Gunner 140 grain (suppressed).
View attachment 7242966

Like that setup. When did you purchase the Terrain? Grayboe said they’d be available again for Tikkas soon months ago but every time I’ve checked their site it looks like terrains only for Rem 700.

Like that setup. When did you purchase the Terrain? Grayboe said they’d be available again for Tikkas soon months ago but every time I’ve checked their site it looks like terrains only for Rem 700.

I ordered it in March of 2019 from Grayboe.... received it in August 2019. I like it.

View attachment 7242966

Is that one of their prefits, if so, what contour and how does it shoot?

Is that one of their prefits, if so, what contour and how does it shoot?

Yes, it is one of their shouldered prefits. Sendero profile. Torqued it into my action, checked headspace, and I was in business.

I haven’t shoot it a whole lot yet (<50 rounds). But it’s grouped ~0.50-0.75 MOA for me so far with those noted factory loads.

Reactions: CStroud
@Hennig

Nice rifle. Curious about the action though. Do you have any other custom actions that you can compare to? Definitely considering the 2013.

Here’s one I’ve thrown together still waiting on some headspace gauges so I haven’t shot it yet. Got thebarrel from a member on here it’s an 18” chambered in 22 creedmoor on a trued 700 in a manners t4a, should be pretty fun still need to get some glass for it. It will be ran suppressed mainly.

Attachments

• 14B83F44-A8AC-49BF-86CE-F4DEA6D6FCB9.jpeg
    14B83F44-A8AC-49BF-86CE-F4DEA6D6FCB9.jpeg
    490.8 KB · Views: 319
@Hennig

Nice rifle. Curious about the action though. Do you have any other custom actions that you can compare to? Definitely considering the 2013.

As far as own, I only have a pair of the old Ultimatum U300s to compare to (along with Tikkas and Rems etc), but I’ve shot Stillers, Pierce, etc actions.

The bolt lift may me sliiiightly heavier, but nothing like people like to imply. I used a trigger gauge to measure bolt lift weight between my rifles and it was marginal even between my Tikka and the Badger. Overall, it feels awesome, locks up like a damn vault, and generally just feels so much more robust than most others I’ve shot.

If I didn’t care about R700 stock/chassis interchangeability Id buy another in a heartbeat.

Reactions: PBWalsh
As far as own, I only have a pair of the old Ultimatum U300s to compare to (along with Tikkas and Rems etc), but I’ve shot Stillers, Pierce, etc actions.

The bolt lift may me sliiiightly heavier, but nothing like people like to imply. I used a trigger gauge to measure bolt lift weight between my rifles and it was marginal even between my Tikka and the Badger. Overall, it feels awesome, locks up like a damn vault, and generally just feels so much more robust than most others I’ve shot.

If I didn’t care about R700 stock/chassis interchangeability Id buy another in a heartbeat.
Have you handled a tempest Hennig? If so, how did it compare to the badger?

I haven’t sorry. Between being in Aus, and my rapidly expanding family, it’s been a bit tricky to play with new gear as of late ?
I hear you on time with family, I'm in the same boat. You live here or just visiting?

Was just curious as I've found my tempests to be different to run than my AI, like a 2 stage lift/close versus the smooth lift on the AXMC. Might just need to place some grease in some key spots. Have you compared the badger to an AI at all?

I hear you on time with family, I'm in the same boat. You live here or just visiting?

Was just curious as I've found my tempests to be different to run than my AI, like a 2 stage lift/close versus the smooth lift on the AXMC. Might just need to place some grease in some key spots. Have you compared the badger to an AI at all?

Live here, so yeah, definitely not a massive amount of cool custom rifles around. I mean ofc there are on the PRS circuit, but Im not exactly racing out to do that atm (4y/o, 2y/o and 8 week old kiddos). I havent shot an AI for about 5 years, and never shot them back to back, so I dont feel qualified to make that comparison.

20200205_193828.jpg

Cut down my 23.5" medium palma to 18". Went from 2830 fps to 2729 with 143 ELDX and 2815 to 2737 with 140 ELDM hand loads. Getting 2756 with older factory Prime 130s, 10 fps faster than the 20" CTR barrel that I used deer hunting. All shot with the TBAC 30P-1 that is in the pictures. German Gun Stock Ranger and Bushnell LRSTi 4.5-18

Live here, so yeah, definitely not a massive amount of cool custom rifles around. I mean ofc there are on the PRS circuit, but Im not exactly racing out to do that atm (4y/o, 2y/o and 8 week old kiddos). I havent shot an AI for about 5 years, and never shot them back to back, so I dont feel qualified to make that comparison.
I dropped out of trying to get into comp shooting for the same reasons. LR shooting will do for now until some more time frees up. If you're in or around Syd, let me know and you can have a run of the tempest and AI if you're interested

I dropped out of trying to get into comp shooting for the same reasons. LR shooting will do for now until some more time frees up. If you're in or around Syd, let me know and you can have a run of the tempest and AI if you're interested

I’m up on the Sunny Coast :). If you ever need any Cerakote done, let me know (Ipscerakote on insta).

On topic, here are my two KRG shorties in the one pic. 17” 308 M2013 and 16” 223AI oh the U300.
CEB146C9-6E86-4ED8-B425-96878A53A98E.jpeg

I’m up on the Sunny Coast :). If you ever need any Cerakote done, let me know (Ipscerakote on insta).

On topic, here are my two KRG shorties in the one pic. 17” 308 M2013 and 16” 223AI oh the U300.
View attachment 7248330

That's gold mate, and luck would have it, I'm moving up that way this year. I've seen your insta page, you do some awesome work

Reactions: Hennig
What does Photobucket do that makes all of the photos stored on their server out of focus? Come on, guys.. A cheap cell phone takes better photos than what we are seeing here. Hell, maybe they were taken with a cheap cell phone.

What does Photobucket do that makes all of the photos stored on their server out of focus? Come on, guys.. A cheap cell phone takes better photos than what we are seeing here. Hell, maybe they were taken with a cheap cell phone.

Photo bucket made all the free accounts start having to pay. So any Photo hosted on PB on a free account is now blurred out until you pay the insane premium to have them host your photos.

In case I missed the joke I apologize, but in case you're serious Photobucket went from a free picture hosting site to a paid one a year or two ago. Everyone that had pictures stored and linked there had them glazed over like you see now with no access to them until they pay up. That's why people link from Imgur now.

It's an Indian Creek Design BFD (Blast forwarding device). Allows you to use any muzzle break and directs the blast forward. Pretty much a poor man's surefire warden.

Very interesting. Do you notice the muzzle brake being somewhat less effective due to the blast now being directed forward and not out to the sides?

Very interesting. Do you notice the muzzle brake being somewhat less effective due to the blast now being directed forward and not out to the sides?

Yeah redirecting the blast forward reintroduces some recoil. But without it, with such a short barrel the concussion is almost unbearable and annoying to my neighbors.

Reactions: stello1001