• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

16-18 inch shorty rifles

New Coyote rig, 18" bartlein 22cm. its got 75g ELD-M going 3280 in the first 4 test rounds. hopefully it settles down in the 33XX somewhere. We'll see how I like it in and out of the truck vs my 16.5 setup

thumbnail_20220804_144920.jpg

How does 300blk run from the origin? Any FTFeed?

I had no feed issues. One issue I did have with some factory ammo was hard primers. The Origin didn’t quite hit them hard enough. If you’re hand loading just keep that in mind and opt for some softer primers. Ran 147gr up to 220gr from the MDT poly mags. Only reason I don’t still have it was I was gifted a Proof barrel for Christmas and I needed an action lol.

Just bolted this one together.

Tikka Tac A1 action/trigger.
16" 22GT 7t bart from StraightJacket.
Sterk, 419 rail, 3-12 LRTSi.
MDT XRS w/ arca forend.
Nomad L.

12.8 lbs with can. Fat barrel and steel can balance nicely on the tripod.

Attachments

• PXL_20220809_003127295.jpg
    PXL_20220809_003127295.jpg
    827.4 KB · Views: 249
Just bolted this one together.

Tikka Tac A1 action/trigger.
16" 22GT 7t bart from StraightJacket.
Sterk, 419 rail, 3-12 LRTSi.
MDT XRS w/ arca forend.
Nomad L.

12.8 lbs with can. Fat barrel and steel can balance nicely on the tripod.
What is your velocity with the 16” 22gt

I've shared this rifle before but I've changed basically everything on it so i can't keep this from you!

Tikka T3x
17" X-caliber Carbon Fiber 6.5 Creedmoor
Grayboe Phoenix w/ my own paint job
Grayboe bottom metal
TBAC Ultra7 Gen II
Unknown Munitions Hunter Arca Rail
Vortex LHT 4.5-22
Sterk bolt handle

View attachment 7896381
What bottom metal is that?

Time for an update on 16-18 inch shorty rifles - Plebe Edition.

I got my Kimber Hunter back from being threaded at Ecco machine, 1/2x28" was the only thread that would fit, but that's fine, I mounted a DA Xeno Xero and will be running my Nomad Ti (equivalent barrel length with can mounted is 23.75").

It's about 5.5lb with the Xero adapter and a mag, and 6.25lb with the can attached.

View attachment 7913925

View attachment 7913926

With the scope and mounts I'll be using, it should be ~7.5lb scoped and suppressed, and less than 8 lbs loaded, with sling and ready to hunt. I turned the trigger down from ~4.25lbs to a nice 2.75lbs. I picked up some 175gr ELDx from blue collar reloading last night, probably lose a little BC with the 9 twist, but it has a Bergara barrel like my other Kimber, so I hope it shoots as well, fingers crossed.

Finally got the right mounts in and scoped my .280 ai tonight, it came in right at my target weight:

PXL_20220812_025336126~2.jpg

Last time I was at the range I chrono'd a spread with 175gr ELDx and StaBall:
54gr - 2,543 fps
54.5gr - 2,579 fps
55gr - 2,607 fps
55.5gr - 2,626 fps
56gr - 2,630 fps
56.5gr - 2,667 fps

Not too bad considering the short barrel, definitely workable if they'll shoot. I plan on shooting the top four loads for groups next time I'm out. Really wish I could find some 160gr Accubonds, or 168gr ABLRs, but the pickings are really slim on 7mm bullets right now, much worse than the other calibers I shoot.

My updated shorty. Tikka, factory barrel cut down to 16” and punched out to 223AI, Kgm r30k can’t wait to get it to the range!

Attachments

• C4AC4AB6-68AB-4E8E-8568-1DDE8B9C03B2.jpeg
    C4AC4AB6-68AB-4E8E-8568-1DDE8B9C03B2.jpeg
    958.5 KB · Views: 268
Time for an update on 16-18 inch shorty rifles - Plebe Edition.

I got my Kimber Hunter back from being threaded at Ecco machine, 1/2x28" was the only thread that would fit, but that's fine, I mounted a DA Xeno Xero and will be running my Nomad Ti (equivalent barrel length with can mounted is 23.75").

It's about 5.5lb with the Xero adapter and a mag, and 6.25lb with the can attached.

View attachment 7913925

View attachment 7913926

With the scope and mounts I'll be using, it should be ~7.5lb scoped and suppressed, and less than 8 lbs loaded, with sling and ready to hunt. I turned the trigger down from ~4.25lbs to a nice 2.75lbs. I picked up some 175gr ELDx from blue collar reloading last night, probably lose a little BC with the 9 twist, but it has a Bergara barrel like my other Kimber, so I hope it shoots as well, fingers crossed.

I have that rifle in 243 and haven't gotten it threaded because I didnt think the barrel was thick enough. Did they have to cut it back at all? Does it flex with the can? (I have a Nomad - not Ti).

This Remington 700 Classic in 7mm Mauser has an 18" barrel with a Surefire SOCOM flash suppressor. (for the can I've been 11 months waiting for the stamp on) It uses the Magpul mag system from their Hunter stocks, and has Primary Arms 1-8 glass.

7mm Mauser on Princess rock.png

Screenshot (496).png

I've been drooling in this thread for years from all the sexy ass shorties. I finally bit the bullet and got a shorty.

It's not 100% done. I still need to have the whole thing bedded and to find some rings. I'm thinking medium or lows but not quite sure yet.

It's a howa 1500 mini in 6.5G that came in at 20" and threaded from factory. I had it cut back to 18" just so I can finally post here lmfao! 🤣🤣🤣

I've gotten an internal blind mag for it as this is going to be a hunting setup I will gift my father!

I'll post it up once it's all finished!

Screenshot_20220828-121401_Gallery.jpg

I've been drooling in this thread for years from all the sexy ass shorties. I finally bit the bullet and got a shorty.

It's not 100% done. I still need to have the whole thing bedded and to find some rings. I'm thinking medium or lows but not quite sure yet.

It's a howa 1500 mini in 6.5G that came in at 20" and threaded from factory. I had it cut back to 18" just so I can finally post here lmfao! 🤣🤣🤣

I've gotten an internal blind mag for it as this is going to be a hunting setup I will gift my father!

I'll post it up once it's all finished!

View attachment 7943540
Sweet rig! Thanks for sharing!

Here's my most recent poverty shorty, it's around 16" (with a can on it)View attachment 7944835View attachment 7944836
Looks nice. I may end up doing one like that.
This new stupid-ass score sheet made it impossible to keep the pistol brace on my Remington 700 CP, and it's pretty much useless with it taken off.

It's so stupid having to throw more money away, and ask for permission to do stuff that shall not be infringed upon.

Reactions: Gwak2006
With a SiCo Omega-300 mounted via ASR to a 16.5" barrel, the max length is 33 1/2" when folded.
Can be squeezed into LBX pack (barely) with suppressor mounted.
https://lbxtactical.com/products/4k3a

That is a fantastic looking stock. Love that the stock folds to the right and comes with an NV rail. Any idea on pricing for the short action chassis or still too soon?

So you short barrel guys out here on the thread. Do you like lower power shorter OAL scopes or do you still like your heavy duty long longer scopes on the 16-18’inch barrel guns????

So you short barrel guys out here on the thread. Do you like lower power shorter OAL scopes or do you still like your heavy duty long longer scopes on the 16-18’inch barrel guns????

That can only be answered on an individual basis, depending on the objectives for each rifle.

For me, I have a 6-24 scope because this rifle has two other barrels for which the scope was intended for. If my 18" barrel was the only dedicated barrel to that rifle, I would probably prefer to have something like a 3-18 on it, to lighten up the package a bit.

I like the 2-10 3-18 type scopes. I even ran a 1-6 for a while which was great but it didn’t have a turret you could dial.

Reactions: powdahound76

2.5-20 NX8 on mine, we have antler restrictions here in PA so the extra magnification is good for making sure that the deer I’m going to shoot is legal.

Reactions: Distance570

I run 3-12 FFP scopes on my 2 18” barreled bolt guns.

And my 18” AR.

Seems to be about perfect.
Would consider a 2-10 a great fit too.

Others work, and having ran a 1-8 on a 16” for a while, it was lacking for serious precision beyond 400 for me, more the reticle than the mag.
Could hammer 66% IPSC steel at 600 with it 10/10 shots.
MOA or better with 3-12

Reactions: Too Funny