• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

16-18 inch shorty rifles

It looks almost "normal" in the McCree short chassis

uploadfromtaptalk1396869751434.jpg

Last edited:
So I just ordered my first firearm, gotta say this thread totally sold me on what way to go with barrel length. Remington 700 16.5 in .308 dropped in an archangel stock. The site I ordered from sold it like this but the picture they had was with the 20 inch barrel. So I haven't even seen a picture of what the rig will look like. Super excited, should be here within a week (in Canada where they deliver guns to your door :) ). I'll be sure to post some pictures when the mailman brings it.
Thanks everyone for showing off these wicked rigs. Didn't know I need a shorty till I saw these

Here's mine after a couple of days at the range. Real happy with it. Shooting FGMM 168gr at 100 yards. By the way my first time shooting prone.

Anyway, now that everything seems to have come together, I'll be taking it apart to install a Timney trigger. Thanks Remington!
Rem 700 AAC 16.5 bbl w/ 1 in 10
McMillan HTG stock
Leupold VX-3 3.5-10X40
BAD-DBM

This is 5 shots at 100yds

This is either my best 5 shot group, ever. Or a 4 shot group that I'm still happy with. I dropped the accurate mag and a round popped out(maybe it was 2).

Steve

Bought this off a hide member recently and put it in a mcm a5. Waiting for glass, can't wait to get home and shoot it.

REM 700 SA .260 Remington built by APA
22" BARTLEIN M24 Contour 1-8.5 twistBARREL threaded with SUREFIRE 7.62 muzzle brake
Trued Remington receiver cerakoted flat tan
Seekins 20MOA Rail.*
Titanium firing pin/Tubb silicon firing spring
Timney flat trigger
APA bolt knob
McMILLAN A 5 adjustable cheek with flush cups/badger DBM.*

Reactions: el-rey

Also got this one put together. New coyote gun that I want to suppress eventually.

Stock Remington 700 16.5. In .223.

Got a badger knob and badger 0moa bas put on. Put a timney trigger in it and put it in a choate tactical stock with CDI DBM. Gonna run a vortex PST on it. I have an extra mcmillian A3 in GAP camo With surgeon DBM I'm debating putting it in and getting the 16.5 blackout for this stock.

New to the form and just love shorty rifles.
Just got mine back from Clay Spencer & haven't done anything with it yet. My baby girl came early so it'll be a while before I can do anything. Just wanted to post so I could follow topic.

Remington 700 trued action
Trued bolt face & nose
PTG shroud & firing pin
AZ Precision knob
Timney 510 trigger
PTG ground recoil lug
Krieger #6 contour 5R CM barrel @18 1/2"
HS Precision bedded stock
yzuveny9.jpg

ynugyraq.jpg
u7amumus.jpg

Sent from my Rem700 using Tapatalk

16-18 inch shorty rifles

Duplicate post

Last edited:
16-18 inch shorty rifles

Duplicate

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1399017310.452107.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1399017310.452107.jpg
    177.8 KB · Views: 78
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1399017335.821459.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1399017335.821459.jpg
    168.1 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:
[MENTION=56323]Bradaus[/MENTION] - i stand corrected. Itʻs a #8 MTU.

16-18 inch shorty rifles

Correction. Barrel contour is a #8. Thanks Bradaus.

Last edited:
how much performance are you loosing with the 16.5" barrel compared to a 20" barrel? What is the maximum range of these rifles? accuracy compared to the longer barrels?

Out of FGMM 175gr with a 16" AR10 & suppressor I get 2475. I have shot that out to 900m. After that I can get hits but it is just very inconsistent. Yes I've shot out farther and hit with it but again, I look for consistency over just a hit

Thanks pusher ! It's very lite! I think 8lbs naked. That's what sold me on it fat/ short barrel look, weight, and accuracy potential.

nu7ejazy.jpg

Here's my contribution!

Here it is, my first shot into this type of shooting. I figured why not and go full custom.

So the rifle a Crescent Custom by the man Tim Moon.

Remington 700 blueprinted .308 Win Caliber
Bartlien Barrel 18" Not sure Contour but I think M24 that's been fluted 1/10 twist
AAC Brake for AAC 7.62 SDN not shown
PTG Bolt
Badger Bottom Metal
Tuned 700 Trigger
Manners T2 A in Leaf Green
Vortex HD 5-20x50 mm
Vortex precision machined rings (Seekins)
EFR

Literally had never put something like this together, and with the help of Moon came up with something like what you guys see. Sorry for the crappy IPhone pics but just what I had.

Just got some BlackHills Matchgrade Red box 168 grain, but will do some load development. I will say it turned out to be the perfect rifle for me. Now I just need to shoot the thing and see what it does. I think I did a decent job. What do you guys think??????

Last edited:
how much performance are you loosing with the 16.5" barrel compared to a 20" barrel? What is the maximum range of these rifles? accuracy compared to the longer barrels?

I get 2550fps with 175's from a 16", and my 155 Palma SMK's are 2775. The 155's really are the way to go with the shorter barrels, you can at least get enough usable velocity to still be able to stretch it's legs.

Branden

H4895 and winny brass. seated a bit long, but can still get 'em in a ai mag. They are quite warm loads though, ask anyone that's been around it when I was shooting, they will verify that it had more than a little pop to it.

Branden

Savage 10P-SR 18" Heavy Barrel .308 Winchester, 5R Rifling, 1-10" Twist
Weaver 20MOA Extended Rail
Vortex Tactical Low Rings
Vortex Viper HS-LR 4-16x50 SFP MOA
Harris S-BRM Bipod
AAC Brakeout Compensator
Hornady Cheek Piece

2h2nj7o.jpg

2zdynw7.jpg

2rndcw7.jpg

18" Rock 8 twist 308, rem 700 trued and chambered by Omar Alonso of Pasadena Texas.milled to accept Aw mags, Aics 1.5 with 1.0 skins.Seekins base ,Seekins rings , US Optics 3.2-17x44 , Badger bolt knob and Mini FTE. Harris bipod.
3bb7fd6db898c3ddbefe950f42532a2f_zps78fadaa2.jpg

With Thunderbeast on the end
20140510_185019_zps7311544f.jpg

Last edited:

T/C encore with a 16.5" 243 and 300 blk barrels. Choate folder. Simple. Folds up to fit in a backpack. For comparison, the above is a savage 110 22" 7 mag.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

I'm picking up a used Rem700P and I am considering chopping the barrel back to 16 inches. Anyone have a shorty bolt action? Can you post pics? Specs? Thanks

Picked up a 16.5" GSR for it's mobility, being lightweight and compact. Figured it would be a good general purpose rig, set up for medium range engagements and the occasional long shot. It's my new hiking buddy.

0tk7.jpg

x4gc7.jpg

2nqzg.jpg

Reactions: el-rey

Ashbury Chassis Mod-1 FDE, Bushnell Elite 3.5-21x50mm FFP HORUS TRMR2, LaRue SPR 34mm mount, Atlas Bipod, Surefire Brake, Remington 700 16.1 inch barrel/ oversized bolt handle installed/ OD Green custom finish/ Timney trigger, NF angle indicator.

gadget

Last edited:
Does anyone have a shorty in a Manners Elite folder? I'm interested in the weight and portability.

if guys with long barrel, large caliber monsters are compensating for a tiny pecker, is having a shorty bolt gun saying I have a massive veined rager? discuss.......