• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

16-18 inch shorty rifles

Anyone here take there shorty past midrange and shoot 1000yd with it? Playing the water to see if you can utilize the 18"ers for both mid and long range.

Got bored with the black, so figured the new Razor was a great excuse to tack on a cerakote job. Had FDE laying around so gave it a hit.

SrZvXv.jpg

So many great guns here. This is the thread that first inspired me to build my first custom gun as a shorty so I wanted to finally contribute to the thread. Arrived last week but I haven't shot it yet. The gun was built by Mark at SAC and of course he and his team were great to work with and patient with my many questions. Stats are as follows:

Short Action Customs Alpha 11 action in short action
Bartlein barrel, 5R, 1 in 10 twist (I think), cut and threaded at 16.5 inches with AAC 51t brake installed
Chambered in 308
Barrel straight fluted and bolt spiral fluted by Kampfield
Bolt and action melonited
APA DBM bottom metal
Timney 510 set to 2.5 lbs
All metal cerakoted in Magpul FDE with black accents
Manners EH4 stock painted in "SAC multicam" by Branden at Custom Gun Coatings
Nightforce 2.5-10x42 compact NXS with MOAR reticle
American Rifle Co M10 rings, 30mm extra low (20mm) height

Can in the pic is an AAC762SDn6

Hope to get out and shoot this weekend. Cannot explain how pleased I am with how the gun turned out though. Hope I got the picture posting right.

Attachments

• 308 with can.jpg
    308 with can.jpg
    674.2 KB · Views: 322
  • IMG_8148.jpg
    IMG_8148.jpg
    949.7 KB · Views: 307
Reactions: SolidCopper
Anyone here take there shorty past midrange and shoot 1000yd with it? Playing the water to see if you can utilize the 18"ers for both mid and long range.

I've shot mine to 1150 with great results. The wind was low that day. I spear point I had a second round hit at 1k in a decent wind. I built mime for hunting and 600ish and in but I do play at longer ranges. It impressed me. I'm getting 2525fps from SWA 175 match

My newest 16"er
Built by Brandon at MTG. 4th rifle he has built me. He is very meticulous.
I didn't do anything fancy this time, but Chris is a wizard with the cerakote.

Nice looking rifle Pete. 308?

That is bad ass! Does he cerakote other rifles also ? Some companies only do their brand.

ec901ee799aa3f584866e34234113c04_zps21dcc042.jpg

7288e46eca73d024adc52f20af47c163_zps2c1fa994.jpg

028977432d8950ac9da3cdf8a8d2d039_zps0525155b.jpg

My newest 16"er
Built by Brandon at MTG. 4th rifle he has built me. He is very meticulous.
I didn't do anything fancy this time, but Chris is a wizard with the cerakote.

That is bad ass! Does he cerakote other rifles also ? Some companies only do their brand.
Only the metal was cerakoted on this rifle. All the metal was done in armorer black. The bolt handle and shroud was bead blasted, bolt body was polished, and the whole bolt assembly was ion bonded. The bolt handle, shroud, barreled action, and bottom metal were then cerakoted. The stock is Manners elite carbon fiber eh-1 Black Forest. Yes, they will cerakote almost anything.

Thank you!
Only the metal was cerakoted on this rifle. All the metal was done in armorer black. The bolt handle and shroud was bead blasted, bolt body was polished, and the whole bolt assembly was ion bonded. The bolt handle, shroud, barreled action, and bottom metal were then cerakoted. The stock is Manners elite carbon fiber eh-1 Black Forest. Yes, they will cerakote almost anything.

16-18 inch shorty rifles

View attachment 48847

My work in progress. Howa 1500 Thumbhole Varminter Supreme with factory barrel cut to 18" with a Nikon Monarch 2.5-10x42 Mil-dot scope and a Blackhawk 6-9" swivel bipod for now. I have a Burris XTR II 2-10x42 scope on order and either a Manners MCS-TA or T4A planned for the stock.

Well I just purchased a rem 16.5 in 308 .I hope I don't regret it .I couldn't decide between it and the arc 20". I got it mostly for hunting & punching paper. I post pics when it comes in .I want to put a bell & carlson m40 stock on it. Will this fit the barrel?

Here my 18" .308. Its a 1:8 twist on a Remington 700 LA. PTG bolt w/m16 extractor. Stock is a HS precision Remington takeoff i bought from a friend. I installed flushcups, textured with 10110 and ghetto net camo'd it. All the metal parts are OD green ovencure cerakote.
9uja3yge.jpg
sepe5e4u.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very nice! who made the barrel?

Here my 18" .308. Its a 1:8 twist on a Remington 700 LA. PTG bolt w/m16 extractor. Stock is a HS precision Remington takeoff i bought from a friend. I installed flushcups, textured with 10110 and ghetto net camo'd it. All the metal parts are OD green ovencure cerakote.
9uja3yge.jpg
sepe5e4u.jpg

Its one of the aac barrels from midway. It shoots pretty good for me whether i use 168's 175's or 230's. I havent expieramented with subsonics as u cannot have a suppressor in this state but i do enjoy this little barrel.

You did a nice job. What stock pack is that?

Its one of the aac barrels from midway. It shoots pretty good for me whether i use 168's 175's or 230's. I havent expieramented with subsonics as u cannot have a suppressor in this state but i do enjoy this little barrel.

Your definitely right. Im undecided as of yet. Ill figure something out!

Thanks! Shorty rifles are where it's at. They take a little more experience to really reach with them, but are perfectly capable. They're super handy and don't feel like you're shooting a musket when they're suppressed. I have 3 different 16" guns now, but this one is my favorite.

Sure! This one is mine and was a pretty simple build.

It's a 700p cut to 16" and threaded for my AI pattern sandstorm suppressor.

Remington MARS rail with 8-40 screws bonded to the action for when we were demoing the NSV80 clip on.

Hensoldt 3-12x56 in Warn steel rings.

KMW sentinel stock bedded.

Harris bipod and TAB sling and suppressor cover.

Cerakoted in FDE.

xqge42.jpg

Here's mine! Ruger American Predator in .308. It's an 18" barrel, but it is 20" with the brake. Going to be topped with a SWFA fixed scope as soon as I can decide what magnification I want.

DSCN0620_zps2ab1a96e.jpg

Nice! Are these new? I cant wait to hear how it shoots.

Here's mine! Ruger American Predator in .308. It's an 18" barrel, but it is 20" with the brake. Going to be topped with a SWFA fixed scope as soon as I can decide what magnification I want.

DSCN0620_zps2ab1a96e.jpg

They are new-ish. They were announced by Ruger a while back, but they are just getting to store shelves in large numbers (at least around here). I have heard of people who are still waiting, after 4+ months, for the .308 version. Ruger just announced the Ranch version (I want one in 5.56) and that will probably take 6 mo. - a year to get to store shelves.

Last edited: