• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

16-18 inch shorty rifles

6mm Creed near zero freebore for varmint bullets.

Attachments

• IMG_20200305_205303_573.jpg
    IMG_20200305_205303_573.jpg
    394.5 KB · Views: 275
Reactions: sgtsmmiii
Admittedly, I don't know much about working on anything mechanically, not so inclined. If you like building fine, but wouldn't a Scout Rifle fit the bill? I have a Ruger Gunsite Scout (Mossburg also makes them) in .308 with a 16.5" barrel. I added a Yankee Hill Flash Hider, topped with a Burris 1x6 scope on a P.E.P.R. mount. I imagine one could put a can on it...Just a suggestion.
Ruger Gunsite Scout.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: perttime
Admittedly, I don't know much about working on anything mechanically, not so inclined. If you like building fine, but wouldn't a Scout Rifle fit the bill? I have a Ruger Gunsite Scout (Mossburg also makes them) in .308 with a 16.5" barrel. I added a Yankee Hill Flash Hider, topped with a Burris 1x6 scope on a P.E.P.R. mount. I imagine one could put a can on it...Just a suggestion.View attachment 7283091
Certainly a shorty!
Doesn't that mount put the scope pretty high above everything?

Reactions: Bucket
Certainly a shorty!
Doesn't that mount put the scope pretty high above everything?

Because of whiplash in an auto accident, it is difficult to bend my neck as much as I used to before and even before it was difficult as I would have to rotate most rifles a bit to align the sights, so the sights are aligned with my POA at 100 yds. Although not a QD scope/mount, the iron sights are also spot on. For me it is the best all around rifle of my collection.

Because of whiplash in an auto accident, it is difficult to bend my neck as much as I used to before and even before it was difficult as I would have to rotate most rifles a bit to align the sights, so the sights are aligned with my POA at 100 yds. Although not a QD scope/mount, the iron sights are also spot on. For me it is the best all around rifle of my collection.
Makes sense, I guess.
I thought that something to raise the comb of the stock might be beneficial.
Actually, I cannot quite visualize your issue but ... if it works for you, it works for you.

Thats a lot of glass for shorts but looks good

She shoots 147's at 2650. Good til 1400 before it hits transonic flight.

It's a switch lug barrel so I also have a 24" that the same load hits transonic at 1600!

My "ugly duckling" of a shorty

Remmy 700 .308
Factory barrel cut to 18", threaded with knurled and crowned thread protector (anxiously awaiting the group buy Templar Archangel to show up)
Bedded in Manners T4
CDI bottom metal
Badger tactical knob and 20MOA base
Currently topped with a Leupy Mark 4 3.5-10 TMR (until the B.E.A.S.T. finally gets delivered)

All work done by J.D. Thomas (formerly of McMillan) at highspeedshootingsystems.com. It's not J.D.'s fault that I occasionally insist on spraying beautiful rifles with krylon. After I have him switch it over to a McMillan A4 I think ARP over at ontargetcustoms.com may get it for a custom finish.

I'll tell you that the velocity on this shorty SUCKS, but the accuracy is GREAT, so I don't mind waiting a full extra second longer than the other shooters to hear the "gong" from a steel plate at 1k

Nice rifle
What’s the Muzzle speed of the bullet? I think you use 168 SMK and does it do 1 moa accuracy?
What’s the twist?

Nice rifle
What’s the Muzzle speed of the bullet? I think you use 168 SMK and does it do 1 moa accuracy?
What’s the twist?

Thats an old Rem factory 1:12 barrel. Going from (distant) memory my MV trued out at around 2450fps with Black Hills 175gr. I didn't bother to run it over the Magnetospeed after I eventually got one.

Aside from a rare Benchrest match for fun, I don't generally shoot for groups, but it's solidly under 1moa. What impressed me back when I was shooting that rifle was that even though the setup wasn't optimal, it was wickedly accurate at extended ranges. I had meaningful misses and repeatable hits out to around 1100yds, despite going transonic somewhere around 950ish.

In today's world, with today's options, that rifle makes very little sense in terms of the money that went into a factory Rem, but back then that was just what most of us did. I have way better setups now for target shooting, but that rifle has remained unchanged from that configuration as my accurate, lightweight hunting rifle (mismatched SFP Mk4 and all).

What's the specs on that rifle it looks sick
700 action, I had Rbros spin up a fluted 18in broughton barrel. Kampfield Custom did the bolt and handle work.
manners MCS-TA
Vortex AMG
11lbs as pictured without the can

Thanks!!7
00 action, I had Rbros spin up a fluted 18in broughton barrel. Kampfield Custom did the bolt and handle work.
manners MCS-TA
Vortex AMG
11lbs as pictured without the can

IMG_2458.jpg

IMG_2461.jpg

Here's my new 18" 22 creedmoor barrel. I got to put the first few rounds through it today out to 1035yds while social distancing. The barrel contour is the proof competition contour which is a pretty thick little girl! With my 26" 6.5cm barrel the rifle weighs 18.4 lbs, and with this shorter barrel the rifle weighs 18.0 lbs.

LRI is working on a 16 inch 6.5 cm for me as we speak. Can’t wait. Pretty cool that they send you pictures of the build progress.
071426D2-D9FE-4158-8D26-A89B9C95505A.jpeg

Reactions: 81sfo
I was curious if anyone has done a shorty suppressed build on a Cadex folder comp lite chassis? Kind of specific but I know there has to be someone...

Has anybody measured how much weight savings there was from cutting down a Tikka T3 Varmint from 24" to 16"?

Has anybody measured how much weight savings there was from cutting down a Tikka T3 Varmint from 24" to 16"?

According this website

You save about 1.3 pounds in the varmint profile

I’m in love with the look of these shorties! How much accuracy do you sacrifice?