• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

16-18 inch shorty rifles

Anyone using a short 7mm-08, 7mm-08 Ackley, or .284 Winchester? Thinking about building one and looking for velocity info. Thanks!

Last edited:
Anyone using a short 7mm-08, 7mm-08 Ackley, or .284 Winchester? Thinking about building one and looking for velocity info. Thanks!
If no replies, I have seen a very consistent 25-30 fps per inch off of 24" lengths. The 18" rigs simply get carried and used more for me when suppressed. Have a 23" suppressed 6.5-284 which ends up at 29". I found it unwieldy in cover and have since capped it and will shoot it unsuppressed.

I have no velocity info but I had a 17" 7mm-08 and shot a bunch of stuff with it. Hogs and white tails. 154gr bullet 10grains of trail boss gives you a great subsonic round

Reactions: Anb618
If no replies, I have seen a very consistent 25-30 fps per inch off of 24" lengths. The 18" rigs simply get carried and used more for me when suppressed. Have a 23" suppressed 6.5-284 which ends up at 29". I found it unwieldy in cover and have since capped it and will shoot it unsuppressed.
Thanks. After some research it looks like the .284 Win is out between brass being unobtainable at this point and apparent difficulty fitting it with modern high BC bullets in a short action.

7-08AI seems like it might be more work than I want to deal with.
I have no velocity info but I had a 17" 7mm-08 and shot a bunch of stuff with it. Hogs and white tails. 154gr bullet 10grains of trail boss gives you a great subsonic round
I wish shooting suppressed was an option. My stupid state thinks they’re dangerous...

Thinking regular 7mm-08 or maybe 7mm SAW now. Not a ton of info out there on the 7mm SAW, but I’m liking what I see on WTO’s website.

Defiance Deviant
16.5” proof barrel chambered in 6.5 creedmoor
Gunwerks clymr stock
Nightforce ATACR 4-16x42
Deadair Nomad 30
Shooting factory 147 ELDMs at about 2565 fps. Been a fun gun! Probably gonna put this back in the manners and I’m waiting on components for an 18” 6.5 PRC build. This shorty thread has been wrecking my bank account for the last year 😂
FC4ABD9E-2AFE-4B84-BC14-E8579F721F23.jpeg

Got this baby back from the gunsmith today... It was a FUBARed 1926 Carl Gustaf Swedish Mauser (6.5x55) I picked up off GB as a project gun.
1. Boyd's Stock, with the disk put in it. Barrel is free floated.
2. Surefire flash suppressor on the barrel cut to 18".
3. Timney single stage trigger with safety.
4. Jeweled bolt. (you can barely tell, he said the hardening was really good on that bolt)
5. New bolt handle.
6. Custom Picatinny rail. (Nobody makes one for small ring Mausers)

Once home, I threw on some Sig rings, and a Primary Arms 1-8. I doubt the BDC for the ACSS will line up with the 6.5x55, but I can still range with it, and it will probably shoot flat enough for center of mass aiming at anything I'm likely to shoot at, and at the ranges I'm likely to ever need to engage at... I wanted to use my ZF95 from the Israeli group buy, but that thing doesn't have enough eye relief to be of any good on this. Can't wait to try her out...

A Swedish Mauser on Princess Rock.JPG

Last edited:
^^^ I know damn good and well I told my gunsmith 18" on that Swedish Mauser, but every time I look at it, it just looks off... So I stick a cleaning rod down it... Yup... 19". WTF, over? LOL. I guess it's better that 17" and he does give me a break on other stuff. I picked up the bolt he was putting a teardrop handle on for a .223 project this morning... No charge. This was before I measured the 19"...

Then, my KRG Bravo came in today, so my little 16.5" .223 Remington 700 is done now.

IMG_8304.JPG

^^^ I know damn good and well I told my gunsmith 18" on that Swedish Mauser, but every time I look at it, it just looks off... So I stick a cleaning rod down it... Yup... 19". WTF, over? LOL. I guess it's better that 17" and he does give me a break on other stuff. I picked up the bolt he was putting a teardrop handle on for a .223 project this morning... No charge. This was before I measured the 19"...

Then, my KRG Bravo came in today, so my little 16.5" .223 Remington 700 is done now.

View attachment 7624879
What kind of brake you got there?

Well after last winter and thinking I cut my 6.5-06 project down to 18" and they realizing after threading and assembling the rifle that it was still 20", I had to start a new rifle. It shoots too well to take apart.

Working on putting together a 18" 7SAUM on a LA Tikka in a Grayboe Phoenix. Will put my 8" F1 suppressor on it for this year's hunting season.

Last edited:
1:10, 168’s and 175’s is all that I have fed it.
Curious to know how your 175's run? I have an 18" proof barrel chambered in 7-08 coming and looking at running 175 Elite Hunters. SAC is doing the work. I had spoken to Mark Gordon and am expecting to have a compressed load, but he hasn't done anything for that type set up. What kind of velocity are you getting? I know you are shooting a .308, but I figure it has to be close. Any other issues you have run into?

Reactions: onethousandmeters
Curious to know how your 175's run? I have an 18" proof barrel chambered in 7-08 coming and looking at running 175 Elite Hunters. SAC is doing the work. I had spoken to Mark Gordon and am expecting to have a compressed load, but he hasn't done anything for that type set up. What kind of velocity are you getting? I know you are shooting a .308, but I figure it has to be close. Any other issues you have run into?
The 175gr OTMs run really well, about 2470fps out of the 16” barrel. Impossible to find right now so I am switching to the 175gr SMK. I am using 41.8grs of IMR 4064. It’s pretty close but I wouldn’t call it compressed.

Well I have never added tonthis thread, but here goes. Here is our old work rifle and the new one they let me order up. I have another ATACR for the old rifle as well... I intend to swap it before we go to the range to zero in and break-in the new rifle.
I liked the new one so much I am having own shorty built now.
20210527_180637.jpg
20210527_180602.jpg

I know you guys are going to make fun of me and put signs on my back that says "kick me" but, I bought a Ruger American "tactical" rifle chambered in everyones favorite 6.5 creed.

Just to get some trigger time on it, I loaded 30 rounds of 130gn Nosler RDF's over 40 gr of H4350. My son and I went to a private ranch and fired 3 rounds to ensure the rounds weren't tumbling or anything else that would ruin my evening. After ensuring nothing weird, I screwed my Omega 300 on the end of the barrel and tried to shoot a couple groups. We were in an open area surrounded by pine trees and with the Omega, there was no need for extra ear protection, the report of the rifle was pretty darn acceptable but I am sure if we were in close trees, hearing protection would need to be worn.

I don't have any pictures but I had 4 different 5 round groups that were 1 ragged hole at 100yds. My son then shot a couple mags of 5 and his groups were just a little more open than mine but that is to be expected being the rifle was set up for me.

At this point, I look forward to a real load work up and I need to start saving money for a better scope than is on it now.

Anyway, the Ruger SKU 26996 should show a picture of the rifle and give an idea what it is. I am very happy with the 18" Ruger rifle.

I know you guys are going to make fun of me and put signs on my back that says "kick me" but, I bought a Ruger American "tactical" rifle chambered in everyones favorite 6.5 creed.

Just to get some trigger time on it, I loaded 30 rounds of 130gn Nosler RDF's over 40 gr of H4350. My son and I went to a private ranch and fired 3 rounds to ensure the rounds weren't tumbling or anything else that would ruin my evening. After ensuring nothing weird, I screwed my Omega 300 on the end of the barrel and tried to shoot a couple groups. We were in an open area surrounded by pine trees and with the Omega, there was no need for extra ear protection, the report of the rifle was pretty darn acceptable but I am sure if we were in close trees, hearing protection would need to be worn.

I don't have any pictures but I had 4 different 5 round groups that were 1 ragged hole at 100yds. My son then shot a couple mags of 5 and his groups were just a little more open than mine but that is to be expected being the rifle was set up for me.

At this point, I look forward to a real load work up and I need to start saving money for a better scope than is on it now.

Anyway, the Ruger SKU 26996 should show a picture of the rifle and give an idea what it is. I am very happy with the 18" Ruger rifle.
Who cares what anyone here thinks (y)

Looks like a pretty sweet rifle for the $$$.
I've been looking for the 16" 308 version for a while now.

Wish more manufacturers would sell threaded shorties.

Reactions: mtwarych
@deersniper You gotta give more details than that. lol What did your final weight come out to? If I sell my DT, I am going to do a handier lighter build also.
It’s not done yet still need sling , arca etc

16” 223 wylde benchmark from ts customs
Ti Gemtech sandstorm. (May put the 338 ultra on just because ). Plan on running a Dominus when it clears
Terminus Apollo light action
Mk13 surplus trigger
1.375” NF ultra lite rings plus Raptar mount
Nx8 2.5-20 mil xt

I could never sell tbe DT. Too accurate, easy to shoot and versatile.

Last edited:
Reactions: CaptArab

Ti Gemtech sandstorm. (May put the 338 ultra on just because ). Plan on running a Dominus when it clears
Mk13 surplus trigger
Nx8 2.5-20 mil xt

deersniper

how quite is it comepared to a longer barreled 223

I have a real itch to build a 16" 223ai. my 24" it stupid quite wondering much louder a 16 will be

deersniper

how quite is it comepared to a longer barreled 223

I have a real itch to build a 16" 223ai. my 24" it stupid quite wondering much louder a 16 will be
A hair louder. But some of that is because the bang is closer to your ears. IMO

Mk13 surplus trigger
Nx8 2.5-20 mil xt

Love that rig.

The NX8 gets a lot of hate, but I'm still tempted to buy one for a nearly identical rig (223 / 6.5 cm swap barrel, 16" barrels, bravo, 6.5 ultra 7).

The weight and mag range is just perfect- 2.5-8 for hunting, upper end for paper / load dev / etc.

Wondering if the eyebox issues are legit in the lower mag range (< 8 or so).

I've got the 4-16x42 Atacr on my AR-10, but it's a bit heavy and spendy for the bolt rig.

It's wearing a 3-9 Swiffer for now, and I love the weight and reliability, but hate swapping optics for load dev, etc.

Reactions: deersniper
The NX8 gets a lot of hate, but I'm still tempted to buy one for a nearly identical rig (223 / 6.5 cm swap barrel, 16" barrels, bravo, 6.5 ultra 7).

The weight and mag range is just perfect- 2.5-8 for hunting, upper end for paper / load dev / etc.

Wondering if the eyebox issues are legit in the lower mag range (< 8 or so).

I've got the 4-16x42 Atacr on my AR-10, but it's a bit heavy and spendy for the bolt rig.
Honestly if not worried about real close shots I would get the 4-32. The 2.5-20 works great but the 4-32 is a little better. I run (3) 2.5-20s on this and AR10/15 and a 4-32 on a desert tech that use 6.5cm and 300nm

I have one for sale lol

Last edited:
20210208_200518.jpg

Proof TAC II (Defiance Action)
Proof Carbon Stock
WTO SwitchLug
TT Diamond Single-Stage, Flat shoe
Badger M5 DBM
Proof Carbons in:
- 16.5" 22 Creedmoor (Sendero)
- 26" 6mm Creedmoor (Full Bull)
- 22" 7 SAW (Sendero)
Nightforce NX8 4-32 (not shown)
Nightforce Ultralite rings
TBAC Ultra 7
Tier One Carbon Bipod

My suppressed 22" Proof 7 SAW (35° Improved 7mm-08 with converted Lapua 308 Palma brass) shoots the Berger 168gr 2930ish fps with 48grs of N550. 🔥 Hot, but fast and accurate!

Reactions: lou400a
My suppressed 22" Proof 7 SAW (35° Improved 7mm-08 with converted Lapua 308 Palma brass) shoots the Berger 168gr 2930ish fps with 48grs of N550. 🔥 Hot, but fast and accurate!
I posted that prior to settling on 7mmSAW. 20” 1:8 twist is in the queue at Preferred Barrels.
I’m actually the one who suggested you check this thread for anyone running a shorty 7SAW. 😂

Reactions: Clownbuster
How in the hell is this thread not stickied yet!?!?! I've loved it soo much for years!

Hopefully GAP hurries up with my current build so I can post it here. After a couple experiences with Q Fix rifles, I've decided that more traditional Tac rifles are more my speed. I've been working on the current build for almost a year now, and I'm getting ultra-excited.

Its a Defiance AnTi-X 16.5 in 6.5cm proof carbon, on a Manners CS with a geiselle trigger and APA stuff. Its gonna be bomb.com when it lands! Hopefully soon!? 🙏

Are there alternates to N550? Viht powders are now classed as rocking horse shit over here.

This is my Ruger "Tactical" rifle. I had a chance to get to the rifle range and shoot a ladder trying to find a load to work with and yes, I choked on the flyer. The dot is a 3" shoot-n-see target dot. The range was 100yds shot off a bench with bipod and rear bag.

The 39.5gn load of H4350 with a Nosler 140gn RDF set to book suggested coal of 2.805 shot pretty well. Now I will work with seating depth and see if I can improve what I am getting right now. I don't know what the fps is.

I had loads from 37gn to 41gr stepped up by half grain increments. I'm pretty happy with my new suppressor host
20210620_162853.jpg
20210620_163727.jpg

Reactions: onethousandmeters