• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

16" LaRue OBR at 1000 yards

JerkeeJoe

Sergeant
Banned !
Jun 5, 2006
Las Vegas
I picked up my OBR on Monday and got out to the range with it today. Thought I'd post a brief range report. The weather was perfect today at around 35*-40* with a steady 5-7 mph wind. We shot at a spot that one of the guys I shoot with discovered a little way out of town. There's plenty of room to shoot up to around 1500 yards.

Since today was the first time I shot it, we set up a target at 100 to sight in. I shot a few rounds of ball to get close and then fine tuned the zero with Fed GMM. It shot around 1" with the GMM. I then shot some handloads (175 SMK over 42.5 of H4895) that grouped into around .6" (I didn't measure). I was pretty pleased with the performance for only around 10 rounds through the barrel, a crappy rest, and an untested load. (The top is the 175 GMM and the bottom is the handloads.)

DSC05156.jpg

Here's a pic of the target through my USO SN-3 at 17x. (Sorry, I suck at taking through the scope pics).

DSC05141.jpg

It took us 4 rounds to find the steel with no dope, an unfamiliar scope, and a new gun, but the 5th round was a hit, and of the 40 more rounds fired at the 1000 yard steel, around 30 were hits. The rest were all close misses. I was pretty amazed at the little gas guns ability to reach out to 1k so accurately. I initially signed up for an 18", but am very happy that I settled for a 16". The gun handles very well, is very light, and handles recoil like a dream. I was never off target after a shot due to recoil and the lack of recoil made very quick followup shots possible. There were a couple times when I shot very quick strings of 3 and got 2 hits out of three (at 1000!) basically rapid firing. The other 4 guys I shot with today all took a turn also, and all made hits at 1000. Needless to say, I'm very pleased with the gun so far. Here's a picture of me with the gun and the target (The hits on the shoulder swinger were called shots made by a couple other members here with boltguns who I shot with today.)

This pic is at the end of the day, we painted once about half way through, but before we painted it after the first round of shooting, the target looked pretty similar to the way it looks in this pic

DSC05154.jpg

And here's one more pic of just the rifle:

DSC03179.jpg

All in all, it was an outstanding day. The weather was great, the company was better, and the shooting was awesome. I shot the best I've ever shot with my RD Precision bolt gun making a first round cold bore hit at 1000 and then making 4 more out of 5 including 2 called head shots. I'm really really pleased with the OBR and can't wait to get to do some real load development and get a nightforce 3.5-15 see how well it will shoot. I honestly wasn't sure how well I'd like it when I ordered, but I now love it. If you're thinking about ordering, do it. You absolutely won't regret it.

Thanks again to Alfred for getting me all squared away and taken care of.

Joe

Re: 16" LaRue OBR at 1000 yards

Joe, the only thing I didn't like about the gun was your magpul stock with the cheek riser. I don't like that you can't use the charging handle unless the stock is fully extended.

Put a Magpul PRS Stock on there and you wont have the Charging Handle problem plus it will look alot nicer.

I'm just not a fan of the PRS. However, it has been a while since I tried one. Maybe I'll have to try again.

Joe

well, you could always go with the plain a2 or with a KAC m110 stock if you want LOP adjust. You could use an eagle pack with those to get cheek height.

I opened up a thread titled <span style="font-style: italic">16" OBR at 1000 yds</span> and see that first pic and my jaw dropped...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bcw1284</div><div class="ubbcode-body">well, you could always go with the plain a2 or with a KAC m110 stock if you want LOP adjust. You could use an eagle pack with those to get cheek height.</div></div>

Eagle pack also interferes with the charging handle unless you add a 1" spacer in front of the A2 stock. Like so:

aaf.jpg

what kind of brass are you using with the 175s?

Most impressive. A nice set up you got there and great shooting!
Thanks for the pics.

Thanks for the update Joe. I have been running the SOPMOD stock on my original test rifle for some time. I get a good cheek weld in all positions especially with our new scope mount for the OBR.

Yep, what 308Sako said. Virgin Rem brass with 42.5 of H4895. Shoots bug eyes through my bolt gun, and it seems to be pretty good with the OBR also. I'll be doing some load development in the next week though.

Won't the cheek riser on a PRS interfere with the charging handle also if it is raised?

Joe

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ratbert</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I opened up a thread titled <span style="font-style: italic">16" OBR at 1000 yds</span> and see that first pic and my jaw dropped...

</div></div>

Haha, I didn't think about that. If only I was that good...(If only anyone was that good!)

+ 1 for the m110 stock, but for that gun the carbine style set up is cool. i whats the twist on that barrel 1-10?

josh

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lone_soldier</div><div class="ubbcode-body">+ 1 for the m110 stock, but for that gun the carbine style set up is cool. i whats the twist on that barrel 1-10?

josh </div></div>

1-11.xx from what ML said on Barfcom.

I like the handguard... Wonder if LaRue will be selling those seperate along with their other handguards?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JRose</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I like the handguard... Wonder if LaRue will be selling those seperate along with their other handguards? </div></div>

I doubt it since that HG is proprietary and mates up with the proprietary upper receiver.

OSR_20rnd_Mags.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JerkeeJoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I picked up my OBR on Monday and got out to the range with it today. Thought I'd post a brief range report. The weather was perfect today at around 35*-40* with a steady 5-7 mph wind. We shot at a spot that one of the guys I shoot with discovered a little way out of town. There's plenty of room to shoot up to around 1500 yards.

<snip>

Thanks again to Alfred for getting me all squared away and taken care of.

Joe</div></div>

You lucky dog for havin' such a nice range at your disposal.

Do any mag dumps ? Did it get too hot to touch ?

ML

I did run through 20 rounds fast shooting steel and water jugs at 400 at the end of the day, and the barrel was not too hot to touch.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JerkeeJoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yep, what 308Sako said. Virgin Rem brass with 42.5 of H4895. Shoots bug eyes through my bolt gun, and it seems to be pretty good with the OBR also. I'll be doing some load development in the next week though.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Won't the cheek riser on a PRS interfere with the charging handle also if it is raised?</span>
Joe </div></div>The PRS 308 stock is made with the riser a little farther back to avoid this. If you like how light your gun is I wouldnt go with the PRS it will add quite a bit of weight.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JerkeeJoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I did run through 20 rounds fast shooting steel and water jugs at 400 at the end of the day, and the barrel was not too hot to touch. </div></div>

The handguard man, the handguard.

A vacuum is the best insulator ... but I couldn't use a vacuum. So I went with air - cheap, available. ;-)

Keeps heat from transferring to the handguard, even after quite a few mag-dumps.

(Using best "Norm from Cheers" voice)
Just taking a moment and pointin' out that little known fact.

:^)

ML

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LaRueTactical</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JerkeeJoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I did run through 20 rounds fast shooting steel and water jugs at 400 at the end of the day, and the barrel was not too hot to touch. </div></div>

The handguard man, the handguard.

A vacuum is the best insulator ... but I couldn't use a vacuum. So I went with air - cheap, available. ;-)

Keeps heat from transferring to the handguard, even after quite a few mag-dumps.

(Using best "Norm from Cheers" voice)
Just taking a moment and pointin' out that little known fact.

:^)

ML </div></div>

If the barrel wasn't too hot to touch, the handguard certainly wasn't too hot to touch!
wink.gif

I'll have to do a few 20 round mag dumps and check it out.

Joe

I thought the steel was shot at a 1000 yards with the OSR also...that post damn near cost me $2500!!!

Nice stick!

Jordan

Nice rifle! But even nicer is that absolute gorgeous range!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bart</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I thought the steel was shot at a 1000 yards with the OSR also...that post damn near cost me $2500!!!

Nice stick!

Jordan </div></div>

The steel was shot at 1000 with the OSR. Probably 66% hit rate from 5 different shooters.

Aw crap...2500 dollars it is....
Seems worth it.. Thanks for the review!
Jordan

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bart</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I thought the steel was shot at a 1000 yards with the OSR also...that post damn near cost me $2500!!!

Nice stick!

Jordan </div></div>

Get that $2500 back out, it was EXACTLY 1000 yds. And only using a 14x relatively cheap (falcon menace) scope to boot.

was that pet load ever chronoed? I'd like to try it in my bolt and AR10.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 308sako</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Actually it has been run through my Oehler 35P several times in the 2 R&D rifles shown above. the camo rifle likes to push it at 2760 ft/secs, and the FDE at 2725 ft/secs. Both are 22" Bartlein tightbore barrels and both shoot amazingly well. The FDE had a .23 MOA 300 yard group today from the prone, yes five shot 175 SMK's and Varget.

</div></div>
D, I think the pet load he's referring to is Jerkejoe's H4895 load. Or did he shoot a Varget load in the OSR too?

How many Mil/MOA did you have to dial in to get your 1K hits?

Impressive none the less...Good work!

Damn...gotta get me one of them. I hear the list is getting long.

Man that obr rifle is a beauty... What magazines does it use? I tried getting on LaRues web site but it wont load up? Maybe too much traffic?

Yep, I was at 44 1/2 MOA on the scope with the OBR and 9.7 Mils on my boltgun to get to 1000.

The LaRue mags are very nice and fed well with mil-surp ammo, Fed GMM, and handloads.

Upon thinking about it more, the only gripe I have about the gun is that it doesn't have a forward assist. I don't think it's necessary, but it's habit for me to hit the FA after dropping the bolt. I found myself fingering the small indent on the outside of the bolt through the dust cover to make sure it was seated every time. That's probably just me though.

Joe

The M110 doesn't have one, either. Might be part of the spec, hence Larue not having one, either. Someone more more knowledge on the subject want to comment?

We decided not to install a forward assist, you really do not need it. That is what the groove in the bolt carrier is for and Stoner meant for this to be used so you do not jam the bolt into the chamber.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SGDM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We decided not to install a forward assist, you really do not need it. That is what the groove in the bolt carrier is for and Stoner meant for this to be used so you do not jam the bolt into the chamber.</div></div>

That is what I keep saying...
smile.gif

I understand not putting one on the gun, I'm just saying that it's odd for me because I'm used to using one. Function didn't suffer at all in the 70 rounds we put through it the other day. I'll be putting another 100 through on Monday and don't anticipate any problems then either.

I will try to answer some of the questions here. First off, we are all very proud of the OBR and the rifle has exceeded our expectations.

There have been steel targets engaged at 1100 yards, Leupold MK4 4.5-14x50 TMR, 8650 MSL, M118LR, with multiple hits called by spotter. My come ups were 48 MOA.