• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing 162gr Amax vs coyote

campx

Private
Minuteman
Jul 19, 2012
BC, Canada
162gr Amax doing 3085fps outta Tikka 695 7mm RemMag. 112 yards. Quartering away, entrance wound was tiny, exit, well, you can sorta see the exit....

IMG017-1 by CampX, on Flickr

Last edited:
But... but... match bullets aren't good for hunting!

That is insane. Did you see a red mist when it hit?

DRFT is pretty much bang on. Disturbing mess, lungs blew out through its mouth, and I found chunks 20 feet past where it had its dirtnap.
Wierd thing is, I used this exact load to take my mulie deer in October. Perfect heart-lung shot, penciled in and came out thru a 1 inch hole. A tad over 300 yards for this shot. See in the picture its offside shoulder.......

bigbuck 019 by CampX, on Flickr

Wow, I've shot coyotes with 105 amaxes/107MK and haven't had near the disturbance.;) I did shoot a Whitetail Deer @ 65 yards with a 178 amax a couple years ago out of a .308 Winchester- not graphic at all, boom, flop, lights out. I just wish hornady would get a greater variety/number of this fine bullet in the pipeline...

I got 2 yotes this year in less than 5 minutes apart. One at 30 the other at 245 with the 162gr Amax moving 2900fps. The odd thing was the farther one had a nasty exit wound, compared to the close one. It wasn't anything that bad but about 5 inches verses maybe 1 inch.

You should have gave him another...in case he tried to make a run for it...

I opened up a couple rock chucks and a few pigeons last week with some 162 Amax's at 3220fps in my 7-300wm. One pigeon literally exploded. Two bigger chunks and a huge puff of feathers. We were shooting across a river so pictures weren't a option unfortunately.

I killed 7 coyotes with A-Max's this year. Some with 168's and some with 178's out of 308 rifles. Really does a number on them. Nice exit holes. None quite like yours but a few were close. My bullets are traveling a lot slower though.

'Tis but a scratch ...

b3vshw.jpg

...I've had worse.

Wow! Couldn't have happened to a nicer coyote. Keep up the good work.

Awesome. Wonder what was the last thing thru the poor guys mind. LOL. What is this mythical 162 amax you speak of? As if they are not hard enough to impossible to find right now you go and show what they can do. Thanks a lot. LOL. Nice yote buddy and great shooting.