• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report 171 tungsten cored bullets

totenkopf

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 10, 2009
My goal in this new project was to flatten the trajectory of my 300wm and allow for fewer turret adjustments. Further, using my old stash of PRL tungsten cored bullets helped as the 171 gr has a short wheel base and a bullet OAL of 1.080.
I just got my 30 in long (1/17 twist)carbon wrapped barreled rifle from KK Jense in MT. After a short break-in, I'm getting a muzzle vel of 3500f/s, and the thing is shooting .5 moa at 600yards. The short wheel-based moly coated 171gr tungsten cored bullets are kicking it! Sat we go to 1000yards and we'll see. From the JBM charts I should only be at 5.1 mils at 1000yards (sea level)with a 300wm, not bad. I'll post some pics as well.
I intend on taking it to NM in November to hunt deer and elk (terminal effect is second to none) at long range and to get some dope out to 1600 meters (7000feet). I believe it will hold an MOA all the way out. Report and pics to follow.

Mark

Re: 171 tungsten cored bullets

Mark,
we were all blown away by the performance of those bullets. Good luck with your hunt. (hell yeah we want to see pictures!)
Scott

Re: 171 tungsten cored bullets

I'm at the Oak Ridge ORSA range now...at 600 yards I'm shooting .25MOA vert with 73.4 gr of IMR 4350. Man is this thing a lazer!!!! Extreme is 1.75-3.0inches.
1000yards tomorrow...