• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

18 556 spr build barrels cant make up my mind . mega,rainier,wilson??

vulcanfear20

Private
Minuteman
Mar 26, 2014
Kansas
megas new nitrided inside and out stainless 18 260$ rainier match 260$ or wilson stainless 1-8 195$ not sure if the wilson is match . cant find much on the new mega ? thanks for any input

Wilson, Spikes and Lother barrels are what I use on all my builds (one ended up with a DPMS). So out of that list, Wilson has my vote.

Why not use Douglass? It is correct and not too pricey IIRC.

This subject has been beat to death here. I lost count of how many threads there on it. Do a search, you will see more than enough information to keep you reading for hours and hours.

Not sure why you aren't considering WOA? My 16" WOA SS Match 1:7 is a laser and others have posted on here that their 18" WOA SPR SS Match barrels are also lasers. Mine is shooting a little over .50" with factory ammo and shoots right around .40" with 77smk handloads. I can shoot 300rds between cleanings with groups staying tight. I also tested with IMI 5.56 77gr OTM MOD 1 ammo and 5 shots at 500yds was sub moa.

Last edited:
just about to purchase an 18 spr barrel for a pseudo-mk12 build myself and decided on WOA. I looked at woa, blackhole and rainier and woa has the best rep from what I have researched.

Not sure why you aren't considering WOA? My 16" WOA SS Match 1:7 is a laser and others have posted on here that their 18" WOA SPR SS Match barrels are also lasers. Mine is shooting a little over .50" with factory ammo and shoots right around .40" with 77smk handloads. I can shoot 300rds between cleanings with groups staying tight. I also tested with IMI 5.56 77gr OTM MOD 1 ammo and 5 shots at 500yds was sub moa.

does the woa shoot worth a shit with a 1-7 if you using light bullets ? thats why i kinda liked the idea of the others with the 1-8 ,iv read they do pretty well even with ball 55gr......

I really like my DD CHF 18". It's accurate with 52gr up to 77gr hand loads.

Last edited:
With 62gr XM855 surplus ammo my WOA 1:7 shoots sub .50" at 50yds and 1" at 100. With 55gr XM193 it shoots pretty much the same, maybe a hair worse. I don't shoot XM193 at anything outside 100yds. XM855 I've shot to 400yd without issue and put 1000 through my gun in a Team Tactics training class and it was highly accurate.

WOA sells 1:8 barrels as well if your dead set on it.

does the woa shoot worth a shit with a 1-7 if you using light bullets ? thats why i kinda liked the idea of the others with the 1-8 ,iv read they do pretty well even with ball 55gr......
You don't need to worry about 55s in a 1 in 7. If you were shooting 40gr thin skinned varmint bullets then you may have something to be concerned about. The lands deform the jackets to the point they come apart in flight. 55gr fmjs are cheap junk, 62s are out of balance too. If you want accuracy use 55gr NBTs, 52gr Sierras or 69gr Sierras. Seems like some of the 64gr bullets are doing really well too.

77smk and 77otm are extremely accurate as well. They are shooting right around .40" at 100yds and I shot a 5 shot group at 500yds that was right around 4.75".

I can't get any of my guns to shoot .4"-.5" with surplus ammo. How do you guys get such good accuracy out of crummy ammo?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My WOA (1 in 7") 18" varmint barrel that is fluted shoots less than 1/2" at 100 yds with my hunting load of 65 gr. Sierra Game kings and less than that with 69 gr. Match Kings. The group with the dime was shot with the 65 gr. Game Kings.

Attachments

• 100 yd. group .JPG
    100 yd. group .JPG
    169.8 KB · Views: 12
  • WARNE ULTRA LIGHT QD RINGS .JPG
    WARNE ULTRA LIGHT QD RINGS .JPG
    359.1 KB · Views: 15
  • 65 gr. Game Kings .JPG
    65 gr. Game Kings .JPG
    183.9 KB · Views: 14

I have had better overall luck with 8 twist vs 7 twist accuracy wise. However the 7 twist White Oak barrels I've had have always been good and shot MOA or better with everything from 60vmax to 77smk.

I'll be honest, I wouldn't build crap. I'd just buy a complete BCM upper. Good prices right now, and probably some of the best quality around. I have one of their 410 stainless uppers that shoots completely lights out. 410 makes for a good barrel.

WOA makes one of, if not, the best drop in barrel under $400. Beyond that, custom barrels own the targets. I'm waiting on CLE to finish my Douglas 18" barrel that's replacing a Noveske.

I'm happy with my 18" wilson 223 wylde... The skeptics in my precision rifle class got real quiet when the lead started flying... RP brass, 69g SMK, 25.5 H4895, CCI400's

I prefer my BCM 410 SS to my WOA, but both are good barrels.

Why do you have to use light bullets? What is wrong with heavier bullets?

Attachments

• Bullet weights _ twist.jpg
    Bullet weights _ twist.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
People say crap like molon is saying but they probably haven't over-spun a bullet or thrown a jacket off. I have and it's frustrating as hell.

A bullet is stable or not. There is no more stable or less stable. There is yaw or there isn't.

Truth is 1:7 is fine for almost anything, but 1:8" is usually more accurate in my experience.