• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

18" SPR 6.5 Grendel Build Complete w/ Load DATA**

Re: New 6.5 Grendel Build Complete. (PIC HEAVY)

thanks for all the load data!---I had only tried 3 powders and
4 bullets thus far--great post---for those interestede in suppressor use the Surefire 6.8 BRAKE with their can is tops--
just get the correct muzzle threads to your barrel maker and
you don't have to do it later

Anybody else with load data or your favorite load for the 6.5 Grendel post 'em up!!

tag and here's my 6.5
18" SPR Sabre barrel with matching bolt
Sabre gill brake
AA 6.5 upper receiver
PRI lo pro gas block
Hogue 12" tubular handguards
bushmaster bolt carrier and bolt internals
CAA mount and Simmons 44mag 6-21X44mm mildot scope (pretty dang good glass for under $150)
Oh yeah and I built it myself, 1st one in an AR platform!
put it on my DPMS lower, which really needs a trigger, but I'm going to build a dedicated lower this spring. Shot pretty dam good with factory 123gr AMAX, just getting on paper.
2i0uou0.jpg

Working on reloading ammo. Got some Hornady brass, also took a shot at resizing 7.62X39 brass. Gonna use 120gr Nosler ballistic tips this time. Loaded 10 with 28.5gr of IMR 4895, but not sure if that has too much pressue on it. Any thoughts?
I've got Varget and H335, but I've read that the cases won't hold enough stick powder to get where you need to be. I know when I tried to put 30grs of 4895 in the case, it filled it up to the top. The load was one that another hide member said he used. I'm curious as to what everybody else is using?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TacticalJ</div><div class="ubbcode-body">tag and here's my 6.5
18" SPR Sabre barrel with matching bolt
Sabre gill brake
AA 6.5 upper receiver
PRI lo pro gas block
Hogue 12" tubular handguards
bushmaster bolt carrier and bolt internals
CAA mount and Simmons 44mag 6-21X44mm mildot scope (pretty dang good glass for under $150)
Oh yeah and I built it myself, 1st one in an AR platform!
put it on my DPMS lower, which really needs a trigger, but I'm going to build a dedicated lower this spring. Shot pretty dam good with factory 123gr AMAX, just getting on paper.
2i0uou0.jpg

Working on reloading ammo. Got some Hornady brass, also took a shot at resizing 7.62X39 brass. Gonna use 120gr Nosler ballistic tips this time. Loaded 10 with 28.5gr of IMR 4895, but not sure if that has too much pressue on it. Any thoughts?
I've got Varget and H335, but I've read that the cases won't hold enough stick powder to get where you need to be. I know when I tried to put 30grs of 4895 in the case, it filled it up to the top. The load was one that another hide member said he used. I'm curious as to what everybody else is using? </div></div>

So far I'm using 30.7 grains of Accurate 2520. I also bought Win 748 and Hodgdon BL-(C)2 to work up some loads.

4895 isn't listed in AA's load data for 120 Nosler BT. In fact, it's only listed for the Lapua Scenar and SMK 123, and 30 grains is WAY TOO MUCH!!!!!

In the Lapua 123 it shows 27.7 as MAX LOAD, and the velocity is low at 2450. Ditto for the SMK 123.

Try Alexander Arms' load data.

https://www.alexanderarms.com/grendel_reloading.pdf

Well I put those rounds aside and loaded some more with 26.5grs of IMR 4895. I also loaded some with 26.5grs of H335 and 27grs of Varget. So we'll see what works and groups up the best. The factory Hornday 123's grouped very well initially with a 6rd group under .75" and that wasn't even trying! Just thought I'd try the Nosler's as they are less money and I have had very good luck with them in my 7mm and 308.
Thanks for the input eleaf!

I can't figure out the picture attachment thing here (I gather I need to have my picture on another URL somehow), but I will simply post the specs of my new Grendel build, in case anyone is building a light Grendel and is looking for ideas:

18" Satern barrel (http://www.alexanderarms.com/item/14/142/18GrendelCutRifledBarrelandBolt.htm) - note this barrel's thread; beautiful fluing, very light as result; super accurate (no 100yd groups over an MOA so far, many at .5 w/ factory ammo from Hornady)
AA Muzzle brake (makes a big difference in reducing felt recoil); 9/16-24 threads
PRI gas port (.75")
MI SS-series handguards at mid length (9 3/16"), free floated
AA upper receiver
mil spec BCG
AA Grendel bolt (i. w/ barrel)
mil spec charging handle
RR Arms lower receiver
Timney 3# single stage trigger (I love these, they are on all my ARs)
A2 mil spec stock (sorry, these are still the best stocks for AR)
Magpul grip (the adjustable one, don't remember name)
mil spec rifle buffer and spring
C-Products 15 and 25 round Grendel mags

Adds to above rifle:
IOR 2-12x32 35mm scope
IOR rings (high)
Viking Tac sling (QD on muzzle end, webbing on stock end)
Harris 6-9" bipod
Larue bipod QD mount

I'm shooting 123gr Amax loaded by Hornady. Getting 2475fps in 30* temps at 500ft alt. Plan on reloading the Hornady brass with the 123gr Amax and 107gr SMK.

Rifle w/o scope is a hair over 7.5lbs. I have shot about 100 rounds thru it for groups and for 1000yd potential. 0.5 to 1moa groups at 100yds, holding 0.7 to 1.1 moa at 300 and generally around 1-1.5 moa at 1000 in 3-5mph wind (not much data on the 1000 yds).

Rifle's purpose is shooting semi-auto precision matches at Mayberry (in MD) and shooting steel at 600+ yds.

If someone could help me out on the photos, I would be happy to post a pic.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AlcoholicusRex</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What velocity are you getting with your 123 Scenar-w748 load? I'm dying to know if the chrome lined bore gives you a velocity boost. I have a 10rd Cproducts mag that works well, as well as the 27rd. curved mags, the 17rd straight mags have major issues.

The Grendel is more accurate, and has far greater range than the 6.8spc. Overall, this rifle has provided me with some rewarding experiences. The ability to spot my own rounds at extended ranges has helped me become a better mid to long range shooter.

I pulled the softpoint bullets out of the Wolf ammo and replaced them with 120gr SMKs and shot a 3/4" group at 2490fps using the Wolf powder charge. </div></div>

With my load of 30.3 grains of W748, 123 Scenar, CCI450, Lapua brass, COAL 2.260, velocities from a 18 inch Lothar Walther barrel, and a 19.5 inch Alexander arms Shilen barrel average 2450fps depending on conditions. I hot summer weather, velocity goes up to nearly 2480 (95-100F). I just do range come up charts for 2450 as it splits the difference of 2440 and 2460 that I get under normal conditions well enough to be workable.

Im going to try out the <span style="font-weight: bold">Hornady LeverRevolution Powder </span>with the 123gr. Hornady A-MAX for <span style="font-weight: bold">testing</span>.

I see a couple guys over at the new 6.5 Grendel forum are having really good accuracy and high velocity with this combo.

From what I seen a couple of the loads where:

120gr. Barnes TTSX
31.4gr. LeveRevolution
CCI #450 Primer

123gr. Hornady A-MAX
31.6gr. LeveRevolution
CCI #450 Primer

Good accuracy and 2600+fps!

I will have test this untill I see pressure. Im thinking it might do better with the smaller bullets like the 85gr.-108gr. bullets.

Hmmmmmmm..... 108gr. Lapua Scenar or the 107gr. Sierra Matchking and LeveRevolution. Will Need to try these combos! Might be my new 1K load. Most likely will be pushing close to 3,000fps.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Load data above : USE AT OWN RISK</span>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eleaf</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have the info in the new Hornady manual. All were tested with 14.5" barrel (I'm not sure why they thought it would be a good idea to test all of their loads in a Class 3 firearm that most people won't be using rather than a 16" or something). </div></div>

I called and asked them why they did that and the answer I got was, "That's the barrel AA sent us for testing." IDK WTF...

If your testing a new barrel (to anyone who just put a grendel build together) try these couple loads out below. They shoot great out of alot of peoples grendels and they shoot outstanding in mine.

120gr. SMK and AA2520
120gr. Nosler BT and bl-c(2)
123gr. Lapua Scenar and WIN748
123gr. A-MAX and AA2520

Anyone ever try the 120gr.Berger HPBT or the 130gr. HPBT VLD in their grendel?

Is it worth just buying AA's loaded ammo and then moving into reloading the brass after it's all been shot? I'm guessing AA's loaded ammo uses the Lapua brass?

120 Berger Match BT works very nicely in my 6.5G (AA, LW barrel) AR.

I have used the 130 also, loaded long, also with pretty decent results.

AA headstamped brass is Lapua.

PM sent on 6.5G ammo.

Hey Longrange did you ever get a load developed with the leverevolution powder?

I'm going to be getting started on reloading for my Grendel here pretty soon and would like some advice.
I'm thinking about doing a load for the 123gr Amax and a load for the 95gr Vmax and was woundering about using the leverevolution powder for both bullet weights.

What did you end up with, results wise, worth it over existing powders for the Grendel?

I'll second Mr. Lebowski's request. I'm getting ready to move, so I probably won't be doing any load development for a few months, but was thinking about starting with either leverevolution, 8208, or tac, from what I've been seeing on the loading board.

AR-Comp has become my favorite powder for the 6.5 G. Though it doesn't produce the fastest speeds, velocity is decent, accuracy is excellent, it's seemingly consistent lot to lot, and it's relatively temp insensitive. Works very well with 123gr Scenar and A-max. I've used the same loads with good results in cut-rifled, button-rifled, and chrome-lined barrels, and also Grendel and LBC chambers.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ctrmass</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for all the data. I have an 18" BHW barrel en route.:) </div></div>

Just curious... Did you get your barrel yet and how does it shoot. Considering ordering one.

Mark

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: xmark</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ctrmass</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for all the data. I have an 18" BHW barrel en route.:) </div></div>

Just curious... Did you get your barrel yet and how does it shoot. Considering ordering one.

Mark </div></div>

Mark their are quite a few threads on BHW barrels, some people that have them say they shoot very well, others have had all kinds of problems with them and their QC.
Some of the complaints I've heard are: ordered 5.56 barrels got 6.5mm barrels, some barrels went out miss marked, 5.56 on one end 6.5mm on the other, should have been threaded and went out with target crowns.
Shit like that is pretty common from what I hear, that and they are willing to screw over their vendors, a whole other story.
I know I won't buy one of thier barrels, their are plenty of other better barrel makes to choose from out there.
To clarify, I would not buy a new barrel from BHW, if their was a gun for sale that had one of their barrels and was a proven shooter for a good price I would not hesitate to buy it but that's the only way I would own one of their products.

My kid's 18" just finished, Fed .762x39 on 758 31.1gr in 120 Nosler BT running 2500fps.

My kid's 18" just finished, Fed .762x39 on 758 31.1gr in 120 Nosler BT running 2500fps. Barrel is Satern.

I love the fact that I can put a new BBL, bolt, and mag in an AR15 and shoot effectively to long ranges with less recoil in a round that's under $.90 /shot.

JP sent me a CTR-02 upper in 6.5 Grendel and I posted a review of it on TGR and here:
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2886827&page=1

Cant wait to upgrade the trigger and glass and get some more grip time.

Re: 18" SPR 6.5 Grendel Build Complete w/ Load DATA**

Sorry, I lost this thread for a while.
I wasn't aware of all the problems with the BHW barrels.
I got mine from SA&A. Price was right (way under retail).
I got a barrel that was produced during the transition from the 7.62x39 bolts to the AA Grendel type bolts.
Their barrels have serial numbers, so I called and they all but guaranteed it was a 7.62x39 bolt headspaced barrel.
They put me on a list to get the headspace bolt set sent to me at NO cost.
grin.gif

I bought the best bolt I could find (ARperformance 9310 alloy) and less than 24 hrs later (after several months wait)the headspace bolt set arrived confirming it's the OTHER type bolt.
$100 detour in my build.....
mad.gif

If anyone has a new Grendel bolt I'd outright trade for my brand new 7.62x39 bolt.
crazy.gif

LR30, you could always do the old silicone on the charging handle trick instead of the expensive handle.

The more I read this the more I want to do my next build in 6.5. Does it require a special upper or is it just a barrel and bolt switch on a standard upper receiver?

Hey guys, thought I would share a little data that I just double checked with an Oehler 35P (4-foot spacing)
Hornady 123 A-Max out of a 18inch mid-lenght upper, averaged 2375.
My own handloads 30.3 grains of AA2520/123 scenar was 2482, the ed and sd on the Hornady loads was very good, but I was surprised on how slow it was going.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TallZXDriver</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The more I read this the more I want to do my next build in 6.5. Does it require a special upper or is it just a barrel and bolt switch on a standard upper receiver? </div></div>

For my barrel, a standard upper is fine. Ramped or not.
I'm of the school of thought that the ramps were upgraded from the result of problems with the shorter carbine version.
My rifle will be based on a rifle length receiver extension, so I dont need them.
I'd like to also add the 6.5 G/ 264 LBC bbl extension seems to be caliber specific, so the ramps on an M4 upper dont line up perfectly.
I'm also told the ramps and their increased angle lead to a slight degrade in accuracy due to the rounds (specifically bullet tips) getting a little extra hammering.
This is what I've gathered through countless hours of research.
JM.02 YMMV dont take any wooden nickels etc.etc.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: longrange30</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="text-decoration: underline">SPECS ON BUILD:</span>

Vltor MUR Upper reciever
Liberty Tactical Lower reciever
Geisselle SSA Trigger
Ergo Grip w/ Palm shelf
Magpul PRS stock
Magpul AFG Grip
Magpul Rail Panels
Magpul Rail ladders
Daniel Defense 12.0" M4 rail
Smith Ent. Vortex Brake/flash hider
Accu-Shot mono-pod
Larue Tactical Bi-pod mount
Larue Tactical SPR 1.5 optic Mount
Nightforce NXS 3.5-15x50 (NP-R1 Reticle)
KNS Non-rotating trigger pins
Badger TAC-Latch
C-Products and AA Mags
Daniel Defense Low Profile gas block (mid-Gas)
Sabre Defense 18" Comp. D. barrel (1-7.5 twist)
Sabre Defense matching Bolt
BCM Bolt (auto) bolt carrier
Harris Bipod 6"-9" (notched legs)
Phoenix Tactical Rubber sled feet.
Phoenix Tactical Pod Claws (small) not in pics, use for prone pos. </div></div>

Quite the setup. Why did you choose the selection you did?

i like the 22" Satern bbl so much i made a Grendel with a 14.5" bbl for a truck/4wheeler gun for anything that comes up---still experimenting with powders/bullets

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ctrmass</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TallZXDriver</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The more I read this the more I want to do my next build in 6.5. Does it require a special upper or is it just a barrel and bolt switch on a standard upper receiver? </div></div>

For my barrel, a standard upper is fine. Ramped or not.
I'm of the school of thought that the ramps were upgraded from the result of problems with the shorter carbine version.
My rifle will be based on a rifle length receiver extension, so I dont need them.
I'd like to also add the 6.5 G/ 264 LBC bbl extension seems to be caliber specific, so the ramps on an M4 upper dont line up perfectly.
I'm also told the ramps and their increased angle lead to a slight degrade in accuracy due to the rounds (specifically bullet tips) getting a little extra hammering.
This is what I've gathered through countless hours of research.
JM.02 YMMV dont take any wooden nickels etc.etc. </div></div>
All M4 extensions are the same, made by maybe 4 different companies and then purchased by the thousand by the barrel manufacturer.
Extensions made for the older A1 rifles have a shorter steeper ramp and probably wont feed the 6.5 or 6.8 well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bustin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">All M4 extensions are the same, made by maybe 4 different companies and then purchased by the thousand by the barrel manufacturer.
Extensions made for the older A1 rifles have a shorter steeper ramp and probably wont feed the 6.5 or 6.8 well. </div></div>

All extensions are NOT the same, from what I recently learned, aside from the obvious distinctions between "rifle" and "M4". Some are machined, ground, then heat-treated, then ramps cut. Some are machined, heat-treated, then the OD & ramps are finish-ground. Some have all the dimensions machined/ground, and are heat-treated.

If the ramps are cut before the heat-treat, the lack of material there acts as a disproportionate heat transfer zone, and the part warps slightly so that the ID of the teeth is eliptical, not circular.

It doesn't make a difference for 5.56 as far as function, but does for the Grendel and cases with a .445" case head diameter. You need tighter QC'd extensions for it.

The biggest issue with a barrel extension for the Grendel is that it needs to be concentric with regard to the ID of the teeth, or the extractor can't snap over the cartidge.

I do also believe that the extended feed ramp design that started with the Model R0720-727 series, and eventually the M4, is the better extension for the Grendel, and is especially nice when "melted down" to aid with smooth feeding, babying your meplats and brass during the feeding cycle.

DSCF0261.jpg

Barrel: 20" 1/9 3 gr poly BHW
case: Hornady
powder: WC846 surplus
weight: 29-29.1 gr
primer: CCI
Bullet: 120 gr sierra BTHP
velocity: 2452 fps
ES: 43
SD: 12

Great accuracy out of my rifle. I believe there's a little room of more velocity, but I dont want to beat up my gun and besides, I dont get much range time, I'd rather shoot than experiment.

FWIW the same load chronographed 2412 FPS out of a 18" BHW barrel.
Everything is identical except the 2" on the end of the barrel.

Read more: http://www.blackholeweaponry.proboards.c...3#ixzz26vqObEeX

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ctrmass</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Barrel: 20" 1/9 3 gr poly BHW
case: Hornady
powder: WC846 surplus
weight: 29-29.1 gr
primer: CCI
Bullet: 120 gr sierra BTHP
velocity: 2452 fps
ES: 43
SD: 12

Great accuracy out of my rifle. I believe there's a little room of more velocity, but I dont want to beat up my gun and besides, I dont get much range time, I'd rather shoot than experiment.

FWIW the same load chronographed 2412 FPS out of a 18" BHW barrel.
Everything is identical except the 2" on the end of the barrel.

Read more: http://www.blackholeweaponry.proboards.c...3#ixzz26vqObEeX
</div></div>

Is it just me, or does 2400fps seem REALLY slow for this round?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GlockandRoll</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Is it just me, or does 2400fps seem REALLY slow for this round? </div></div>

Not necessarily. I have 24" .264 LBC-AR that chrony'd at 2471 FPS with 123 gr SMK in front of 29 gr of AA250 in Lapua brass.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: White Mamba</div><div class="ubbcode-body">LRRPF52, where do you find those barrell extensions? </div></div>

I do the meltdown myself. It's something hi-power guys have been doing for a long time now. There's an awesome thread on tweaks for the AR by a smith posted here in the gunsmithing section that discusses it and many other tweaks most people haven't heard of.

As for Grendel velocities, I get 2450fps with 7fps ES using the Precision Firearms 123gr Silver Scenar factory load out of my 16" Grendel. When I had the barrel in an MGI QBC upper, I was getting 2582fps with that same load, same barrel. I dropped it into a standard upper, used a different buffer, and all of a sudden the ES shrunk to 7fps, as it was erratic in the MGI system.

The 108gr Scenar is probably a better pill to use if you want high velocities, with a great BC. Guys with 20" guns get just short of 2800fps with the 108gr, and have taken it out to 1100yds on 12" plates in minimal wind conditions.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/CVMUbpTU8CA"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/CVMUbpTU8CA" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>