• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

18" SPR Rifle for Carbine Course?

Blackjack988

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 26, 2013
Woodbridge, NJ
Out of curiosity, has anyone run a longer/heavier barrel during a carbine course? I have a Noveske-built 18" SPR profile rifle (NSR handguards) that I use for bench/prone shooting. I was thinking about attending a few of the more basic carbine courses in the future and was wondering if I feasibly could run it with a different optic.

Yes, yes, yes, I know that an 18" SPR is not technically a carbine and I should probably build up the stripped lower i'm sitting on into a beater carbine...

You should be fine with it. I've been to a carbine course where a guy was using a 20" A2 style AR15 and did well.

My friend and I just won a local Team Carbine match last weekend and he was using a Knights LPR, which uses a heavier 18" barrel. Didn't hold him back at all, and it really shined in the precision type stages.

18" is good for just about anything IMHO. However lots of people tend to use Cheaper Ammo (steel cased) for Tactical Carbine classes due to the shear round counts. If you run that nice Noveske Barrel make sure you use better quality ammos. Also, probably more importantly what opetics are you going to be running? I have 1-6 scope and a red dot both QD for my 18" 3Gun Rifle so that I can switch if needed.

18" is good for just about anything IMHO. However lots of people tend to use Cheaper Ammo (steel cased) for Tactical Carbine classes due to the shear round counts. If you run that nice Noveske Barrel make sure you use better quality ammos. Also, probably more importantly what opetics are you going to be running? I have 1-6 scope and a red dot both QD for my 18" 3Gun Rifle so that I can switch if needed.

Yea, my plan would be to run something brass cased regardless. I've had bad experiences with steel cased ammo in the past and avoid it like the plague. I'd rather spend the little bit extra on cheaper brass cased (PMC XTAC and Federal American Eagle come to mind) even though they won't take advantage of the Noveske's accuracy potential.

I'm actually running a Vortex 2.5-10x32 in an ADM Recon mount. The low-end magnification is a bit high which is why I was debating finding a red dot during a Black Friday sale to throw on there if I need to.

Overall my rifle weights 10.2 lbs unloaded with a bipod and MOE rifle stock which doesn't seem too bad.

I run an AR15 Recce with WOA 16" SS Match barrel in multiple rifle and carbine classes no problem. It has a Leupold Mark 4 MR/T 1.5-5x20 CM-R2 on it. I just leave it on 1.5x and make accurate hits from 3yds-100yds. I zero at 50yds and run PMC X-tac 62gr LAP ammo. We shoot paper targets at dirt berms so LAP ammo is allowed. You may not be able to use it if your shooting steel. I use it because my 1:7 barrel likes the 62gr bullet and I got 1000rd case for just under $350 shipped to my door. The PMC shoots .5" at 50yds and 1" at 100.

Sounds like a Plan! If you're looking for a budget Red Dot and don't want to wait for the Black Friday then give the Bushell TRS-32 a shot. PSA is currently running a special deal pricing on the for Half of the Retail Price. I Love all my bushnell Optics. I got two of these already from PSA and thinking about getting one more. The dot are Very Bright and Clear. I also own the Bushnell TRS-25 Mini Redot but I like this one a lot better because of the wider field of view which is Perfect for Run and Gun competitions. Trust me, for the money you won't be Disappointed!

Bushnell TRS-32 5 MOA Red Dot with Mount, AR731305

Yea, my plan would be to run something brass cased regardless. I've had bad experiences with steel cased ammo in the past and avoid it like the plague. I'd rather spend the little bit extra on cheaper brass cased (PMC XTAC and Federal American Eagle come to mind) even though they won't take advantage of the Noveske's accuracy potential.

I'm actually running a Vortex 2.5-10x32 in an ADM Recon mount. The low-end magnification is a bit high which is why I was debating finding a red dot during a Black Friday sale to throw on there if I need to.

Overall my rifle weights 10.2 lbs unloaded with a bipod and MOE rifle stock which doesn't seem too bad.

Would you mind sharing where you got that deal on those Ammos from? Running a little low on Ammos and Good Deals here in TX....

Thanks!

I run an AR15 Recce with WOA 16" SS Match barrel in multiple rifle and carbine classes no problem. It has a Leupold Mark 4 MR/T 1.5-5x20 CM-R2 on it. I just leave it on 1.5x and make accurate hits from 3yds-100yds. I zero at 50yds and run PMC X-tac 62gr LAP ammo. We shoot paper targets at dirt berms so LAP ammo is allowed. You may not be able to use it if your shooting steel. I use it because my 1:7 barrel likes the 62gr bullet and I got 1000rd case for just under $350 shipped to my door. The PMC shoots .5" at 50yds and 1" at 100.

2.5x is just fine for a carbine course! You'd be amazed at the number or 4x ACOGs you'll see.

No reason to swap optics! Main thing is use a m4 style collapsible stock, not an A1,A2,PRS,UBR type stock. You want to collapse it down, square up, and be able to run with gear strapped to your chest. Enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk