• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

1903 Question

rascaldog

Private
Minuteman
Mar 3, 2008
London Ky.
I recently got a 1903 Springfield. Serial number puts it as a later 1918 gun. Barrel is marked 1-19. Stock cartouche is marked RLB. Which from my search says this is correct for the serial number range. The bore is very good. Is it possible that this is an original gun, not a refurbished gun. It is is overall great shape for its age. Any help would be appreciated as I know very little about these. Thanks

Re: 1903 Question

Since you know the inspectors cartouche, barrel date and serial number are all representative of a non mix master 03 it is likely it's an 03 that escaped mods. Look at the barrel bands and see if there are any other arsenal marks. If none are there and the barrel bands are milled and not stamped like 03a3 ones that may mean it went through refurb but none of the original parts were changed.

I'd want to check out would be the manufacturing sequence - at what point was the receiver serial numbered, before or after assembly?

If it is after assembly, then maybe the barrel should have a x-18 date?

I seem to remember Brophy's book may have info on the sequence but can't check it right now.

John Spangler, at this website has a manufacturing date page:
Oldguns
That will get you the year and maybe some other info. (This came from the old Springfield Research organization.)

I have a lot of reference books on the 1903, feel free to PM me and I can look up for info for you.

Barrel date and serial number match obviously doesn't always mean "unmolested" 03 but it's a great start! it's very rare for an 03 of that vintage to be completely original. Other than actual hardware, another good way to tell is to know the history. Was this something that sat in "grand-pa's closet" for umpteen years? Or was it picked up at a gunshow from a dealer who may or may not have made up a great story to add to the value... Knowing full well it's not what it appears.

Can you post pictures? Close-ups of the important areas?... Overall look, receiver area, barrel markings, etc...

I like to believe there are still unmolested old war horses out there. But I haven't seen too many.