• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

1903 Springfield

Daredevil

Private
Minuteman
Dec 30, 2022
Pennsylvania
Looking for a little insight. I have Springfield 1903A1 NM. It was built in early 1903 per the serial number and the barrel date is 11/29 with a C stock, Lyman sights, reversed safety, star gauged barrel, electric pencil on the bolt. All that is straight forward, but I see the serial number is stamped right in front of the butt stock swivel on the bottom. Was that SOP. The other thing is the cocking knob is just the slimmed down type per earlier NM rifles. I read the knob reappeared on NM rifles in 1930. Am I right to assume that since it was built early in 1930 they just used what was on hand before the switchover.

Looking for a little insight. I have Springfield 1903A1 NM. It was built in early 1903 per the serial number and the barrel date is 11/29 with a C stock, Lyman sights, reversed safety, star gauged barrel, electric pencil on the bolt. All that is straight forward, but I see the serial number is stamped right in front of the butt stock swivel on the bottom. Was that SOP. The other thing is the cocking knob is just the slimmed down type per earlier NM rifles. I read the knob reappeared on NM rifles in 1930. Am I right to assume that since it was built early in 1930 they just used what was on hand before the switchover.
Typo. Built in early 1930. Sorry.