• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

1909 Argentine mauser

Texasflyer

Koala Gladiator
Minuteman
  • Mar 3, 2021
    Texas
    I recently picked up a sporterized mauser in 30-06 cal. Did some looking and what i found said sears imported and sportered a bunch of these in the 20's. From what ive read they are bullet hoses. The barrel is .311 vs the .308 bullet. What would you guys do with this rifle? Im looking for some ideas, i just bought it for the action basically, but i also worry about destroying historically valuable guns.

Do you reload? .311 bullets are available (if you can find them in stock)174gr SMK. Need to get a larger button, bushing, or mandrel.
    I do reload, and i have read this is possible. But the barrel is pretty ugly being the stepped original. Also i havent gotten it home yet to inspect the bore but im betting its not great even though the gun is in pretty damn good condition. Not one scratch on the blue of the action.

Reactions: Halfnutz
    If there is no value in the old sears job of sporterizing it then i would prefer to build a really nice weapon for shooting long range. Was thinking of rechambering in .308 or maybe just a new barrel in 30-06 with a nice stock

It's long action. I shoot a 6.5/06. You might consider that.
    You will be reloading anything for that is the main draw back.
    I prefer a worked up round. I only ever buy factory ammo for new brass bud. I just did a workup on a buddys 6.5cm and gotta say, the bullet is pretty impressive. I didnt want to like it, but i did.

The surplus purists seem to have a lot of hate for sporterized rifles and for valid reasons. Do "Factory Sporterized" fall into this same catagory? Will they ever have the same value as an original surplus? Probably not.
    But as a retail offering they do have a bit of history, albeit not the same.

Can you imagine in 100 years on "I Have This Old Gun";
    "I inherited this from my uncles, brothers, step cousins, gender non binary, Its a 1909 Argentine Mauser sporterized in 1920 by the long defunct retail giant Sears."
    Yeah well your non binary's, step cousin's, brother's uncle ruined it with a .308 barrel, it's also a class 3 regulated pollution producer and does not meet our community standards. You have been selected for sensitivity re-education, and the previous owners will have their grave stones removed.

Yeah me neither, sounds like a project gun.

The surplus purists seem to have a lot of hate for sporterized rifles and for valid reasons. Do "Factory Sporterized" fall into this same catagory? Will they ever have the same value as an original surplus? Probably not.
    But as a retail offering they do have a bit of history, albeit not the same.

Can you imagine in 100 years on "I Have This Old Gun";
    "I inherited this from my uncles, brothers, step cousins, gender non binary, Its a 1909 Argentine Mauser sporterized in 1920 by the long defunct retail giant Sears."
    Yeah well your non binary's, step cousin's, brother's uncle ruined it with a .308 barrel, it's also a class 3 regulated pollution producer and does not meet our community standards. You have been selected for sensitivity re-education, and the previous owners will have their grave stones removed.

Yeah me neither, sounds like a project gun.
    Here, let me fix that for you. In 100 years it will be more like...

"WHAT? You have a GUN? An actual GUN that KILLS PEOPLE? What ARE you? Some kind of homicidal maniac? I bet your grandfather was a Trump supporter too, you racist bastard...! Get away from me..."

Reactions: sjmpcc022
    This seems settled. Its 100 years since the last time this rifle was desecrated, it is my duty to add my mark to it. Once finished i need the stock engraved " dear future person, every 100 years this rifle is in need of desecration, please add your underbarrel mini nuke and alien lazer eye megascope. If by chance you are only using double sided dildos at this point to engage in combat please check under rear butt plate for enclosed single round."
    Who makes a good 6.5-06 barrel for.... its been so long since i built a mauser o dont even know if its small or large ring lol. I forgot which one was better and which companies make them. Looks like i gotta re educate myself.

Might want to consider a .25-06 with a fast twist barrel that can use the new heavy for caliber 25 caliber bullets. Nice thing about the 25-06 is that factory rounds are available everywhere, just in case you need them. A great second choice (or first depending on your prospective) would be the 280 AI. Lots of good 7mm bullets available.

20210408_124821.jpg
    20210408_124839.jpg

Got to pick up the mauser today. All numbers matching, und berlin model with unmolested crest. Gonna put a box of 30-06 thru it while i mull over caliber options. Wheather to scope or not, what the stock looks like under cracked varnish ect ect ect. Im excited.
    16179052634703331500911105290369.jpg

It grouped about how i expected at 100 yds. Its pretty steady windy today left to right 3/4 value so i was holding on the left center edge of the target. Shoots a little high which i expected, but its a bullet hose. I also dont like how the shoulder looks on the spent rounds, they all have a ring like the one shown. It fed like butter though, i love the action allready, and my shoulder felt something again for the first time in a long time so that was nice.
    16179081873037507711100280649490.jpg
    20210408_135137.jpg

Considering 300 wby mag but i wanna keep the same bolt.. i have never swapped a bolt, does that limit me to standard 30 cal brass?

That is a bit tough on brass, bub, but maybe shoot the goodie out of the barrel you have now and see how that goes. I would bet it will take a lot of rounds to wear it out.
    30/06 or 25/06 are both good rounds and factory loaded as to your comment that you only buy factory ammo for the brass.
    How many rounds would you shoot per year with that rifle? How long would it take you to shoot the barrel on it out?
    They were made by FN weren't they?
    Don't even consider my suggestion of 6.5/06 were you to re-barrel it as there is NO factory loaded ammo in that chambering and you have to roll your own, each, and every, one, if you shoot that but 6.5/06 sure as hell shoots good for me. I use Bartlein barrels and am happy with them.
    Being "Sporterized," you are right, it has little value to a collector even with matched numbers, none the less, still a fine rifle as is.
    I would love to find one in the original condition and would buy it as I am sure they shoot just fine and would still be collectable when I was done shooting it.

Reactions: Texasflyer
    Underneath the shelac looks like this. Gorgeous. I was looking into the 25-06, i think its gonna be good for what i will use it for, the action is slick... if i like what i put together i may shoot it all the time, most of my rifles get 300 or so rds a year at least thru them.
    16179350580627758485220191054630.jpg

That is a bit tough on brass, bub, but maybe shoot the goodie out of the barrel you have now and see how that goes. I would bet it will take a lot of rounds to wear it out.
    30/06 or 25/06 are both good rounds and factory loaded as to your comment that you only buy factory ammo for the brass.
    How many rounds would you shoot per year with that rifle? How long would it take you to shoot the barrel on it out?
    They were made by FN weren't they?
    Don't even consider my suggestion of 6.5/06 were you to re-barrel it as there is NO factory loaded ammo in that chambering and you have to roll your own, each, and every, one, if you shoot that but 6.5/06 sure as hell shoots good for me. I use Bartlein barrels and am happy with them.
    Being "Sporterized," you are right, it has little value to a collector even with matched numbers, none the less, still a fine rifle as is.
    I would love to find one in the original condition and would buy it as I am sure they shoot just fine and would still be collectable when I was done shooting it.
    Do you just resize 30-06 brass down to 6.5? Who makes dies and such for that, cause i am not afraid to wild cat rounds and i have plenty of 140 grain 6.5 projectiles and 30-06 brass, also is that like the 257 roberts?

I use Redding standard dies, I prefer to neck up 25/06 brass but 30/06 brass is GTG also.
    I use 140gr. Horn. BTHP Match bullets with 47.5 gr. of RL23 and according to my Labradar it has MV of 2975-80.
    48gr, of RL23 runs about 3010.
    I am retired and haven't a lot else to do so I shoot quite a few more rounds per year than you do with several different rifles.
    I am on my 2nd. barrel now having shot out a Shilen and on a Bartlein now and have a new Bartlein in the safe for the next go-round. Both barrels have been good but this Barlein is a tackdriver. I have not been good at keeping a round count on either barrel but they have lasted better than I first thought they would.
    At my age I expect the barrel in the safe will probably finish me out as I am slowing down with components hard to find. I have enough on hand to finish me out but do hope I will need another barrel before I take the checkered flags.

I use Redding standard dies, I prefer to neck up 25/06 brass but 30/06 brass is GTG also.
    I use 140gr. Horn. BTHP Match bullets with 47.5 gr. of RL23 and according to my Labradar it has MV of 2975-80.
    48gr, of RL23 runs about 3010.
    I am retired and haven't a lot else to do so I shoot quite a few more rounds per year than you do with several different rifles.
    I am on my 2nd. barrel now having shot out a Shilen and on a Bartlein now and have a new Bartlein in the safe for the next go-round. Both barrels have been good but this Barlein is a tackdriver. I have not been good at keeping a round count on either barrel but they have lasted better than I first thought they would.
    At my age I expect the barrel in the safe will probably finish me out as I am slowing down with components hard to find. I have enough on hand to finish me out but do hope I will need another barrel before I take the checkered flags.
    Thanks for the info. I checked out the breitling barrels last night, and have looked at the shilens as well, im not a pro shooter, more of a varmit hunter really. Think im going to order a breitling. Now i just gotta suck it up and go have the reciever tapped for a scope.... im gonna put a 4 position butt plate in the original stock and cut and adjustable comb as well. Pretty neat when i was sanding the stock down the serial number was stamped in the right side of the forend of the stock. Just cant bring myself to seperate it if i dont have to.

Reactions: Foul Mike
    Recommend you google "Argentine FN Mauser bolt setback. Those actions are beautiful; I've owned a few but the heat treating process wasn't the best back then. Bolts have been known to eventually lock up in the action as the lugs set back into the action over repeated firings

What I am currently using are Bartlein barrels, not "breitling," and Shilin as well and God help your ass when you don't know what Lilja is and don't spell it right as Danny is going to kick your ass. Accuracy is important, even in spelling, as to finding what you want.
    I may be wrong, but I feel that you are a young person trying to get into shooting, and I admire you for that and hope you stick around, but, you haven't a clue as to what you have, nor how to best to use what you have on hand, nor how to use it as is. Maybe 20 rounds downrange? with that rifle.
    Were YOU to drill and tap the reciever and mount a scope, and not a GOOD Gunsmith, would your bolt lift and clear the scope that you just mounted without you doing anything to that bolt? Maybe it would have been best to just leave it alone and shoot iron sights.
    I will help you all that I can, but I suffer no fools. It took me a while to learn that from others, but I did. FM
    OR, Are you a TROLL?

What I am currently using are Bartlein barrels, not "breitling," and Shilin as well and God help your ass when you don't know what Lilja is and don't spell it right as Danny is going to kick your ass. Accuracy is important, even in spelling, as to finding what you want.
    I may be wrong, but I feel that you are a young person trying to get into shooting, and I admire you for that and hope you stick around, but, you haven't a clue as to what you have, nor how to best to use what you have on hand, nor how to use it as is. Maybe 20 rounds downrange? with that rifle.
    Were YOU to drill and tap the reciever and mount a scope, and not a GOOD Gunsmith, would your bolt lift and clear the scope that you just mounted without you doing anything to that bolt? Maybe it would have been best to just leave it alone and shoot iron sights.
    I will help you all that I can, but I suffer no fools. It took me a while to learn that from others, but I did. FM
    OR, Are you a TROLL?
    I am taking the rifle to a gunsmith to be barreled and tapped for a scope. Im not really new to shooting, but i dont have alot of experience peicing together a custom rifle yet. When i googled it i found my spelling error and actually spelled right last night mid drunk post.... im not a troll, just a guy who likes to buy interesting rifles. I made a small ring turkish mauser once before but stayed in 8mm, on that rifle i had a custom bolt handle made for it and then sent it to another gentelman who welded it up for me. Im almost 40, not a kid. I appreciate your help, im not wasting your time. Just... i looked for this rifle for 25 years and finally found it. I just want to make something i can enjoy.

I am cautious, i havent done anything to the rifle yet other than sand the tool marks out of the stock. Looks like they used an angle grinder to shape the sportered stock out of the original. I kinda want to try loading a few 7.62 argentine bullets into the 06 cases and try it that way. I have about a 9 month wait time on the barrel from bartlein.... mmmm cut rifling.... in the mean time im gonna take my time and get a good picture of what i want out of the rifle. It may stay open sights and original...

20210402_135049.jpg

Maybe my reloading spot will give me a little credit. I can use a mill and lathe, i have a decent understanding about alot this, what i dont know i can easily teach myself... but on this project im going to defer to a real pro.

20210410_191607.jpg
    20210410_191624.jpg

I am not rich, most of my rifles came in not great shape from the back racks of pawn shop shelves. But i have always tried to make what i have nice again, at least to me. Like this 842 i was shooting earlier, it was in very rought shape cosmetically, i think i do a pretty decent job on wood. Now that im able to buy the guns that i really want, i dont take it lightly that i may have something that should be preserved or that i may do a hack job of something by doing some things myself.

Looks like no matter what i am going to send the action in to be vaccum annealed and recase hardened. Im fairly sure im going to have a set of blocks welded on the action instead of tapping the reciever but i have to talk to my gunsmith on tuesday and get the gameplan going.

20210417_162047.jpg
    20210417_162037.jpg
    20210417_162010.jpg
    20210417_162004.jpg

Its gonna be a bit before anything happens on the mauser, so i did the 3rd coat of tru oil and reassembled the rifle to let it cure and await further plans. Honestly, i like it now that the schelack and power tool marks in the wood are gone. But i dont feel like its shootable, and thats important.... to be continued.

Reactions: Daddyusmaximus