• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors 1911 Commander Concealment

rhodesjt

Private
Minuteman
Apr 12, 2010
Greetings.... I recently purchased a Nighthawk Custom T3 and a Companion style holster. I find the combination to be very comfortable to carry and shoot. But, I am still not satisfied because my grip is printing with most outfits I have tried so far. One thing I hope will help is that my gun belt has not come in yet. I am hoping that having a real belt will pull the rig in closer to my body and decrease the printing some.

So, to get to the point of my post..... I am looking for any and all ideas for OWB carry options that provide easy concealment. If you happen to have any pics of concealed / unconcealed before and after, that would be most excellent.

Thanks!!!!!!!!!

Re: 1911 Commander Concealment

The NHC T-3 is a very nice weapon - it is one of my primary carry weapons. I use an IWB holster. For OWB I would use a Nossar, Tauris, 5-Shot, or Horseshoe. None of them are cheap, but all will serve you well.

You don't mention what part of the grip is printing, is the whole grip just sitting too far out to your side, or is it just the back corner by the mag? If the later this is a common problem with most handguns and for myself I've found the greatest benefit to bobtail type 1911's is they conceal much better in the grip area.

A good stiff gun belt should help esp with OWB. Some holsters are better at keeping the grip tucked into your side than others. It also depends on your body type and clothing. Also just as a general rule I find OWB holsters do not keep the gun tucked as tightly to your side as IWB will.

One other thing you may have to consider is that usually you have to choose your clothes around your carry system. In other words you may have to purchase larger or stiffer material shirts, pants, etc. to find a combination that will minimize printing.

The T3 is a great gun, but I've found that their magwell design is a gift and a curse. It's a great effective compact magwell, but where it tapers to a point in the rear of the magwell when in a holster that triangle point tends to print very easy.

Another thing to look at is cant. Adjusting the cant will bring the grip up and forward. Definitely agree that IWB will conceal better than OWB.

Doc1911.... I have an ankle rig by 5 Shot that I carry a Smith 327 in every day. I absolutely love it. Unfortunately, all that I can get away with being able to conceal in an office environment is an ankle rig while keeping my shirt tucked in and looking like a presentable employee. But, I guess a gun on the ankle is better than one at home in the safe.... If I can't find the right combination with my Companion and T3, I may have to be back in touch with John. My final goal is to be able to carry my 1911 in the office with and untucked polo or button-up style shirt along with my snubbie.

ToddM.... So far my problem has been more of the whole grip than the end of the grip. But, I believe that my good belt will solve that part of the problem. However, I have a pretty good hunch that I am going to run into the same problem you are eluding to with the magwell.

I have not done much testing yet with different clothes. I know that it is coming though. Right now I am still practicing with the new shooting iron and making sure that I am ready to carry it (both familiarity and confidence) whilst I am working on the clothing situation. I may have to go with IWB before it's over with. But, I want to exhaust all of my options for OWB before I throw in the flag since I would have to buy more jeans to accommodate the bulk of the holster and gun.

Thanks for the feedback so far. I will take all that I can get so I can have as much knowledge as I can when I finally make my decision.

You might also look at some of the IWB holsters that are designed to allow you to tuck in a shirt. Sometimes the ability to tuck the shirt in can create more "room" for the gun especially with a stiffer material dress shirt if you tuck it in tight but then pull it out a bit, essentially "poofing" the shirt out a bit around the lower torso.

I believe there are also companies that make various shirts where they add a stiffer backing material to the shirt where handgun would be to help avoid it printing to the outline of the gun.

I found OWB holsters more comfy to me and the presentation is usually faster, but at least in my experience you give up some concealability. For me at least it's also hard to find shirts that are cut long enough to reliably make sure the bottom of the holster does not show in day to day movement without them looking obviously "wrong" or way too big on me, but I have a really long torso for my height.

I have used a few OWB holsters and I prefer them to IWB. I carry a full size auto and I am of a medium build. I have never had any issue with printing using the Galco leather pancake holsters. The FLETCH (if you like the thumb break) is very nice and is the same as the Galco Concealable model, both are only molded on the outer peice of leather. My current holster is the Galco Combat Master in which I carry a G21 SF daily. The Combat Master is about the same as the Concealable but is molded on both sides. Retention is very good from all three holsters and each feature the FBI forward cant. I can't tell any difference in all-day comfort between the one or two surface molded holsters, they are equally comfortable and all provide a very fast presentation, faster with practice. I carried the Kimber Desert Warrior in the FLETCH for a few years and now the Glock in the Combat Master, both held the pistol butt tight to my side but you have to wear pants with a decent belt at the natural waist line. If you wear an OWB with pants lower than your waist the iliac crest (hip bone) will cause the holster to cant the pistol butt away from your body. Not saying you are a pants sagger but might be useful information regardless.
As far as needing long shirts to conceal OWB, in general you will need to be careful about your shirt choice. Having the 4.25" barrel will make it a bit easier than a full-size 1911.
I have also used the Blackhawk SERPA and it is very nice but will not conceal as easily as a leather pancake due to the bracket thickness behind the holster.

Happy hunting, I hope you find what you need.

I LOVE all of my Kramer holsters. The horsehide is excellent. It is thin, durable and keeps the butt of the pistol next to my body- as it should. I have never had their cowhide holsters, so I cannot make an informed comment on them, but the horsehide is my favorite of all the holsters I have owned/handled.

I have been carrying concealed for about 25 years, if that means anything.

david

I carry mine in a Crossbreed Supertuck. It would also help to install either an Ed Brown bobtail or Wilson round butt.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ggmanning</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I carry mine in a Crossbreed Supertuck.</div></div>

+1. The Sparks VM2 is also a good tuckable IWB holster.

+1 on the Mitch Rosen belt. They do run smaller than your normal belts, generally.

I really like the tucker holsters. I have a couple of them and they conceal great and give you the tuckable option. I also use a Galco high rise OWB holster when I can wear a jacket and it is very comfortable, easy to draw from, and conceals very well.

front.jpg

This has worked well for me! Dan Wesson CBOB in a custom holster by Boom-Stick holsters, worn with a Rafter-S belt. Makes a hell of a good system! I'm bigger guy, read fat, and another issue for me was finding the right spot to place the holster along my waist line so that it didn't poke out. Once I figured that out this system wears very well!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DirtyRod</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ggmanning</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I carry mine in a Crossbreed Supertuck.</div></div>

+1. The Sparks VM2 is also a good tuckable IWB holster. </div></div>

Just received my supertuck, took some getting used to (Just like new shoes...) But it is a much better option for summer time casual dress carry.

My business partner swears by Milt Sparks IWB, I was researching them yesterday.

It will form to your shape and use in a short time. They are very comfortable after a short break in period.

I carry my Colt Defender in a galco shoulder holster. That works best for me. With a button up shirt, not too bad. I've even wore it under a t-shirt from time to time, no problems.

Josh Bulman at Bulman Gun Leather makes a great holster that carries the gun 1" higher than normal. It is now my holster of choice because it lets me wear quite short shirts as can be seen in the pics of what I'm wearing today.

CIMG3082.jpg

CIMG3084.jpg

Sorry about the blurry pics, the mirror was confusing the auto focus...