• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors 1911 gurus needed

Aces&Eights

Private
Minuteman
Apr 14, 2010
Wisconsin
I have an opportunity to buy this sidearm. It is a colt mk4 gov't model 70. It appears to have some custom work done, but that might not be a good thing. I am looking for an opinion on value. sorry about the bad pic [img:center]
245mqop.jpg
[/img]

Re: 1911 gurus needed

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Aces&Eights</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have an opportunity to buy this sidearm. It is a colt mk4 gov't model 70. It appears to have some custom work done, but that might not be a good thing. I am looking for an opinion on value. sorry about the bad pic [img:center]
245mqop.jpg
[/img] </div></div>

I see hammer, trigger, bevertail, magwell, grips are all changed the slide rel. safety, sights look original. mag reliese?
I think that model might have the spring finger barrel bushing. I have no idea what the value is but have someone check the barrel lockup and trigger.
good luck

$700.00 - $750.00 if the barrel/bushing lockup is tight. My old MkIV Series 70 had a slightly loose slide to frame fit but it didn't bother accuracy much.

Jim

It looks like all "drop-in" parts which won't change the value that much. The part you can't tell from the photo is what else may have been done. As long as it doesn't have a ton of rounds through it and an amatuer "dremel-smith" hasn't touched it, it should be around $700-800 range.

I would scrutinize it closely. Especially since the hammer doesn't appear stock. It puzzles me as to why someone would put all those "bells and whistles" on there and not do something about the crap sights. Make sure you find some info on properly safety checking a 1911 because you're going to need to check it. I wouldn't go over 700 on it personally.

Check right above the slide lock on the left hand side. This is where they crack alot. It will look like a little line about the thickness of a hair.

The nickle plated model 70's are worth a little more, but not that much more.

Jerry

If the nickel finish is dicked, price drops on it. That has to be chemically stripped. The hammer looks to be an STI which is good if they replaced the other ignition parts, didn't do any tooling on them. I wouldn't do more than $650 on it with out detailed pics of the innards.

I would imagine the original sights were left intact since the slide would need to be milled for a Novak or Bomar cut. With that finish it might have been too expensive. I don't like the original sights, but my eyes are getting old.

Jim

under 700

too much crap stuck on it to be a collector unfortunately.

also if the parts are "drop in" something in one of the safety mechanisms is probably goofed up. nothing on a 1911 is "drop in"

After some thought, I'm wondering, do you intend this to be a shooter? If you're looking for something to actually shoot, as of today, I'm officially of the opinion that the STI Spartan may be one of the biggest bargains where 1911s are concerned.

If you can't take it down to nothing, and check to see what has been monkeyed with, I wouldn't spend over $500.

I would consider it a base gun to use for a build.

Who knows if the guy went and fit a new bushing at his kitchen table, hacked on the feedramp, put the slide in a vice to "tighten slide to frame fit" etc. If he "dropped in" a new hammer, that probably means you need to install new fire control parts.

If you don't know what to look for, and you can't take it to someone who knows before you buy it, then assume the worst (you're buying a frame and slide to send to a gunsmith).

Triggers and hammers arent drop in parts. If thats what he did be cafeful. Check the safeties and half cock notch. I wouldnt pay more than 650 and id have to be prstty enamored with it for that price

wow! first off let me say thanks to all for the help. This is the reason I become a member here... consummate professionals sharing their knowledge. I checked it out and passed due to some tell tail signs of at home dremel work.

now this will disappoint most who replied, but I did have $700 burning a hole in pocket so I picked up something more in my wheelhouse. Proud new owner of a gently used HK 45

Congrats. My HK .45 is one of the few guns I regret selling over the years. That said, it won't fill your 1911 craving. Lol

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nw1911guy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Congrats. My HK .45 is one of the few guns I regret selling over the years. That said, it won't fill your 1911 craving. Lol </div></div>He's right. You wont satiate that craving with anything but a 1911. Congrats on the HK. Thats on my list