• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns 1911 refinishing

HotAirBaloonInstructor

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 22, 2012
Deja Vu
I created a thread a few weeks ago asking guys on the site what they thought about certain 4.25"-4" 1911s. Anyway, I think I've made my decision. Looks like I'll be going with the Colt XSE Commander with the lightweight frame.

So, my question, what do you guys think is the best route for refinishing purely for cosmetic reasons? I've had a Glock cerakoted two tone, so I'm somewhat familiar with that particular process.

I just want a black slide, not stainless. If I understand correctly from Colt's website, its already cerakoted. Anyway, what does the 'hide think? Rattlecan (gasp!)? Duracoat? _______ Fill in the blank because I have no idea what I'm talking about
grin.gif

thanks

Re: 1911 refinishing

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: over_watch</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ion bond </div></div>
What he said.

Anyone care to elaborate on the ion bond? I'm sure I can google it, but, for this specific application, what are the benefits, etc?

I would probably go Ion Bond as well, I am fixing to have one of mine done in it over the next few months. I think my second choice would be the Birdsong Black T. Read lots of good things about both finishes.

I don't know specifics but I do know Ion Bond does things in the cutting tool industry and the cutters are subject to a much more harsh environment then most pistols will ever see.

Jeremy45

I have had to have my S/A Champion Operator Duracoated by a local smith twice and its still not holding up, I personally would look at cera kote / ion bond.

I'm interested. Is ion bond something that a competent smith in my area should be able to do, or is it more involved that the gun will need to be sent out.

My problem with my 1911 is carrying during the hot summer and the butt of the gun is against my skin, I have nice rust under the grip panels. Will rust get through ion bond?

Is it expensive?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nuclabuyer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am not familiar with the product, I have been looking around and found this for a price
prices </div></div>

My 1911 is at Club Custom (the link above) right now getting Ionbonded. I called John Harrison, but he is not taking work and Chad Buie at Club Custom is who he recommended. He is the lowest price around at the moment. Really nice guy and responds quickly to emails.

Josh

I had a problem with sweat causing rust too and so had it ceracoted. I have been pleased with the finish and haven't had anymore problems. Its nice not having to worry about it anymore.

Everyone has an opinion. I like Hard Chrome. I can show you guns that were hard chromed over twenty years ago and they still look like brand new.