• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Suppressors 1911 .....sti/sig .....UPDATED 2/26/10

Ghogs Nightmare

Wobi Madano
Minuteman
Jun 11, 2006
In the Nightmares of Ghogs
Looking at these two for a full size grip but the shorter barrel/slide.
I'm familiar with SIGs in general owned and carry daily at times but not in the 1911 configuration. I am aware that STI is pretty much dedicated to that style pistol. The only reason I'm considering the SIG is because i can get a lil better price and they'r fairly close in price range.
Here's the two I'm looking at:
Sig:
http://www.sigsauer.com/Products/ShowCatalogProductDetails.aspx?categoryid=25&productid=131

STI:
http://www.brazoscustom.com/sti_guns/Ranger2.htm
So...enlighten me, prefer direct experience with either. Not spending the money on a Wilson, Nighthawk etc...

Re: 1911 Opinions.....STI....SIG...

I would go with the sti between the two sti hand laps there slide to frame very smoooth.

Of the two, STI without a doubt. But if you're going smaller than full size I'd get the Guardian (officer's size frame-the grip is the hard to hide part, not the barrel/slide).

I love my STI. Slide to frame fit is exceptional compared to kimbers, taurus, springfield, ect... I have no experience with the sigs, but I am sure they are similar to a kimber.
++ for STI

If it's for concealed carry get one with a Ed Brown Bobtail on it. If you haven't seen one and held one don't buy one till you do. Of course you could upgrade later with any fullsize handgrip.

STI, avoid the Sig like the plague. It doesn't fit a standard holster, among other things.

I love a Sig, especially their 1911. I think you cannot go wrong with either. I would take a look at Kimber and Smith and wesson. I would rank Smith, Sig, Kimber, STI. Just my 2 cents.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EricM40</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I love a Sig, especially their 1911. I think you cannot go wrong with either. I would take a look at Kimber and Smith and wesson. I would rank Smith, Sig, Kimber, STI. Just my 2 cents. </div></div>

When you say you rank Kimber before STI is it before or after your Kimber falls apart. I would have actually owned a Kimber 10 years ago but with the quality control issues they have now I would almost have to get one for free to take it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TDH</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EricM40</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I love a Sig, especially their 1911. I think you cannot go wrong with either. I would take a look at Kimber and Smith and wesson. I would rank Smith, Sig, Kimber, STI. Just my 2 cents. </div></div>

When you say you rank Kimber before STI is it before or after your Kimber falls apart. I would have actually owned a Kimber 10 years ago but with the quality control issues they have now I would almost have to get one for free to take it. </div></div>

Kimber may have had some issues, but if their issues were so numerous then they would have an extremely bad rep in the industry and probably loose their marine corp contract. That being said, I still like Kimber and believe they make excellent pistols. In my personal opinion I like the sig P220 better than my 1911. That is just me though.

Good luck with whichever pistol you choose.

He is asking about the Sig 1911, not the p220. I like my 220 also, but completely different gun.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Kimber may have had some issues...</div></div>

"Has" issues. Right now it seems to be cracked frames on the sub-compact models and out of spec slide stops. Customer service remains spotty.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hatidua</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Are those really the only two you are considering? </div></div>
Not really feeling the Springfield or Smith...but if I can be convinced on something else...by all means I welcome any opinions with valid arguments.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ghogs Nightmare</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hatidua</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Are those really the only two you are considering? </div></div>
Not really feeling the Springfield or Smith...but if I can be convinced on something else...by all means I welcome any opinions with valid arguments.
</div></div>

I don't see why you'd listen to "valid" arguments if "not really feeling" something is a valid excuse for not looking at the biggest brands in the business.

The Sig is not a 1911. STI makes a good product. Many others do as well, including Springfield Armory, which is probably the most popular brand of 1911 there is (and the most extensive line of them).

I think the answer is clear if you're comparing the Sig to the STI, the STI is the obvious winner in my opinion and by democratic vote here. But leaving out some of the biggest names in handguns (including America's largest handgun company) makes no sense.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Sig is not a 1911. </div></div>

You do realize that Sig makes a 1911? And this is the Sig he is referring to in the OP?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hoser</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Sig is not a 1911. </div></div>

You do realize that Sig makes a 1911? And this is the Sig he is referring to in the OP? </div></div>

Maybe he meant it's not a "true" 1911.

never owned one but shot against alot of them in uspsa. great gun for the money and i would absolutely get the brazos package for $150, thats a steal on a trigger/reliability fit. good gun. may have to revise my xmas list!!

STI, but i held a springfield TRP last night and got wood. nice pistol. do you have gun shows there? go hold them all. but if its just those two, STI

i love my kimber TLE. no issues ever. you did look in the for sale section here didnt you? there are a few nice 1911s there

Ref. the "valid" reason. As in I try to keep an open mind on trying things. The two listed were my primary options I was looking at the STI because Im familiar with the quality, the SIG because I could get a slightly better deal on one.
We know what they say about opinions....
Still in the deciding stages. Good idea on the Gun Shows (yes we have'm here). Was just looking from actual ownership opinions. Kinda like when your looking for a new vehicle and ask someone who owns that model what they think of it.
At this point I may just hold off. Keep the love for my Glock and save the $$ for gettin my butt over to Africa to hunt.

I've had the GSR and was happy as hell to get rid of it. I even felt bad selling it to another. The STI is a good gun but the one's I've shot and played with seemed to be built more towards competition race guns. When it comes to a value gun the Springfield TRP's seem to be the best. I however finally got my hands on my Nighthawk and haven't looked back.

Between the two I'd go STI. Have you considered Caspian and building your own?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EddieNFL</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hoser</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Sig is not a 1911. </div></div>

You do realize that Sig makes a 1911? And this is the Sig he is referring to in the OP? </div></div>

Maybe he meant it's not a "true" 1911. </div></div>

It's not even close. If it doesn't fit in a holster designed for a 1911, then it really doesn't matter to me what they call it, it's not a 1911. I'm not saying that it's not a 1911 because it has an external extractor. Although I do not care for external extractors, a 1911 doesn't morph into another gun just by virtue of having one. The Sig has a slide profile that is, quite obviously, Sig. That it happens to have a grip and thumb safety and says 1911 on the side just doesn't convince me. It's just not even close.

The Sig "1911" is, at best, a morph between their P series and a 1911 grip frame. If it has a non-ramped bushing barrel, it is most likely USPSA single stack legal, but even that is debatable with my reading of the rules.

I've been chasing the "perfect" 1911 for a while, and as everyone says with rifle parts, "buy the best first and it will save you in the long run". This couldnt be more true with 1911's. Mine may not be "perfect" or the "best" but I think its pretty damn close. I HIGHLY recommend Wilson to you.
PB200323.jpg

I know that Sig had issues with the first series of 1911's built. I believe that is why Matt Mclearn left the project early, because his input was disregarded on parts. I know he now takes Sigs (1911's) and fixes them with different parts for a 100% realiable pistol. That said, I bought a GSR "kit" from caspian to build and tinker with. I also own (2) STI's. If those are your choices, go with STI, and the brazo's "upgrade". You will not be disappointed. If you add in other brands, Springfield, Wilson, Nighthawk, all make good pistols as well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EricM40</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TDH</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EricM40</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I love a Sig, especially their 1911. I think you cannot go wrong with either. I would take a look at Kimber and Smith and wesson. I would rank Smith, Sig, Kimber, STI. Just my 2 cents. </div></div>

When you say you rank Kimber before STI is it before or after your Kimber falls apart. I would have actually owned a Kimber 10 years ago but with the quality control issues they have now I would almost have to get one for free to take it. </div></div>

Kimber may have had some issues, but if their issues were so numerous then they would have an extremely bad rep in the industry and probably loose their marine corp contract. That being said, I still like Kimber and believe they make excellent pistols. In my personal opinion I like the sig P220 better than my 1911. That is just me though.

Good luck with whichever pistol you choose. </div></div>

You may want to take a peek through this thread:

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1463797&page=1

Not trying to cange your mind, but you may find it interesting.

I love my old Kimbers. I'll never sell them for fear that I'd never get another pistol like them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I love my old Kimbers. I'll never sell them for fear that I'd never get another pistol like them. </div></div>

Pretty fond of my old(circa '98 I believe)one too - I was pretty shocked that they had gone so far downhill in a decade or so
crazy.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fritz24</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I love my old Kimbers. I'll never sell them for fear that I'd never get another pistol like them. </div></div>

Pretty fond of my old(circa '98 I believe)one too - I was pretty shocked that they had gone so far downhill in a decade or so
crazy.gif
</div></div>

...ain't that the truth brother

STI, without a doubt. A regular Trojan would be fine. The Ranger II is a nice choice, too.

If you can find a series 1 Kimber, I'd recommend that, too...probably even over a Trojan, though caliber choices are greater on the latter if you are wanting something other than .45 ACP.

STI Trojan with the 150 dollar touch up package from Brazos.
I have one, with quite a few rounds though it (2500-3000) it has had one malfunction and that was on about the tenth round.

Between the two, STI. But, of the 4 Springfields I've purchased, none of them has failed me yet.

Sounds like a lot of good feedback so far. I would agree with the STI over Sig for a 1911.

Also, it sounds like a good idea to wait and see some in person at a Gun Show. Even if you have seen both in person before, I always find it helpful to be able to look at some back to back at the same location.

I have generally been impressed with the STIs I have seen; however, I have seen several Sig 1911s with some problems. One in particular I was looking at buying when they first cam out...until I took a look at the hammer and saw the most crooked hammer I have ever seen on a gun.

Good luck with whichever 1911 you chose.